Ken Kesey anyone? (1 Viewer)

I've recently read One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, but it took me a while to finish. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the novel, I struggled with it a bit to begin with but once it got going I thought it was really good. I've always liked the film and found the book even better. So really, I was just wondering what the others from the Bukowski demographic made of Kesey's work? if anything.

I remember liking Demon Box, but I read it a long time ago, so I couldn't say why I liked it.
ir

I suppose the "All Things *Not* Bukowski" forum must be closed for maintenance. In any case, I found Sometimes a Great Notion to be better than Cuckoo's Nest.

The Day Superman Died? Something like that, yes. I can't find the book at the moment, so I'm relying on Google.

Sometimes a Great Notion is one of the best novels I've read. A complicated structure that puts you inside the minds of each character. Even with a great cast, it was impossible for the film to replicate the book.

I always loved that Cuckoos Nest was told from the Chief's perspective. I read that around the same time I read
Last Exit, over 30 years ago.

And Kesey said he never watched Cuckoos Nest, which is too bad because even if it the book was better, the film was a damn good adaption. Was he being pretentious? Or maybe someone from Hollywood just rubbed him the wrong way? Maybe he'd learned a little bit from Kerouac, who acted just as pretentious when Superman introduced the two.

The Day Superman Died was a classic, from begining to end. Kesey always believed things were not random, but happened for a reason. That vision of Neil counting railroad ties for hours on speed until he finally decided to take a little nap is a classic end to a tragic figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back