Last CD you bought/ Book you read (4 Viewers)

Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs - Derek and the Dominos. (I had it once before but must have lost it in a move. Shame. I desperately want it on vinyl.)
And, Notes from the Underground - Dostoevsky, which I found deliciously describing clinical depression in an overly-humorous way. Good times, noodle salad. And hookers.

I'm reading two novels at the same time.

Pulp by Bukowski

&

You Can't Win by Jack Black

Pulp is a great read again, although so different from all of his other books. You Can't Win is a classic, published in 1929. If you like Junkie by Burroughs (his easiest book to read), then this is a must.

Bill

Jack Black...

vs-jackblack06.jpg

That's funny, I just read You Can't Win.

I bought it along with a few other books from Nabat; Beggars of Life, a hobo autobiography by Jim Tully, BAD, the autobiography of James Carr (friend of George Jackson, Black Panther, etc.) and Five Years in the Warsaw Ghetto.

You can't Win is a great book. I also finished Beggars of Life, which is similar, but nowhere near as good as Black's book. I am a chapter or two into BAD, and it's really good as well.

Nabat has a new title out early next year that I'm looking forward to: "Yellow Kid" Weil: The Autobiography of America's Master Swindler.

Great stuff about an America that doesn't exist anymore.

I've never read Junky, but I have read that Burroughs "appropriated" stories from You Can't Win and used them in Junky.

Burroughs used some of the characters in other books, like Salt Chunk Mary. The book Junky, really has the feel of a book that was written to be like YOU CAN'T WIN. It is very similar. I have read JUNKY a couple times and think that I like the Jack Black book more. i think that once I'm finished, I'll reread Junky and see if it has the same feel or if it is essentially the same book.

Still, writing about junk in the 40's was not as daring as writing about crime and opium in the 20's... There is more of a wild west feel to it...

Bill

It was the wild West! Most of the states he talks about were only territories at the time.

It's funny that he writes about making two or three grand from a safecracking or robbery and spending it all pretty quickly. Two grand in 1890s money is like 50 grand today. Maybe he was adjusting those figures to current amounts when he was writing the book. But still, 2 grand in 1926 is equal to 25 grand today. He was not a good money manager, I guess you could say. Great book.

Books: Just read Underworld by Delillo (that took some time - a hefty one). Gonna move on with something, lengthwise, lighter: The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.

Cds/Vinyl: Figure 8 - Elliott Smith (with bonus tracks). Josephine - Magnolia Electric.

Anyone read Matterhorn by Marlantes yet? Seems like a great Vietnam war book...if you're into that sort of thing.

CD: Dave Alvin and The Guilty Women - A most excellent CD and Dave is a Bukowksi fan as well.

"Combining elements of blues, folk, R+B, rockabilly, Bakersfield country and garage rock and roll with lyrical inspiration from local writers and poets like Raymond Chandler, Gerald Locklin and Charles Bukowski, Alvin says that his songs are "just like California. A big, messy melting pot."

Book: Wind Up Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi - First rate Sci-Fi - This guy will replace William Gibson. His first novel and it won the Nebula award last month.

You Can't Win is a classic, published in 1929. If you like Junkie by Burroughs (his easiest book to read), then this is a must.

thanks for the tip - i just ordered it from the library.

they deliver to your closest branch which is great. (and cheap)

It was the wild West! Most of the states he talks about were only territories at the time.
Yeah, I'm about halfway through. There was just a scene where the author is about to rob, at gunpoint, a poker game in a back room. They carefully open the door and see Bat Masterson, the wild west gunslinger at the table and realize that as possibly the fastest draw alive, that they will have to either kill him or get killed. The quietly close the door and move on...

It is one of those books that could have been written today, but it is authentic. There is some extinct vocabulary (like Yegg), but you get used to it. Plus, since we live int he information age, it is easy to look up these words and see what they mean.

Bill

G.O.A.T

Just finished this...

pj.jpg

Can't argue that PJ is greatest of all time, don't even try. The book, eh, doesn't compare to his legacy, or greatness(mostly cause it wasn't written by him, ha) but made for a great read over the last few weeks and another Lakers championship! Shit, I just fully recovered from all the partying a few days ago!

Just finished Romo by Bill Romanowski. Easy read, and I found it at the .99 cent store a while ago. I never really gave deep thought to the injuries and punishment NFL players put themselves through. At the end of the book, doctors tell Romo he has a pretty good chance of ending up in the same condition as Muhammed Ali, years from now. Pretty scary stuff.

romo.jpg

The Drinker by Hans Fallada. A few chapters in and I've already gut laughed a few times. This book is starting strong...and I suspect a few you Buk/Fante fans would enjoy it too...

Ah, I've read this one too, Hosh! Good novel. Did you know that Fallada wrote it while being imprisoned?

He had to scribble it in this tiny tiny writing and use the paper twice over, because there was so little, if I remember correctly. Which made it almost illegible. Also he had to hide it from the other inmates. Lots of history there.

Fallada was a tough motherfucker.

Yeah--he's an interesting guy (what little I've read about him so far), and they originally thought he'd written in some secret code because the pages we so thick with text.

At one point he calls his wife a "nattering old cow" and wishes she'd just disappear...& I nearly did a spit-take! It instantly reminded me of John Fante's Arturo Bandini...which I consider mighty high praise.

I just read Phillip Carlo's story of Richard Ramirez, the Night Stalker, the serial killer that terrorized Los Angeles in the hottest summer in 100 years, 1985! I was 10 years old at the time and living in Pico Rivera with mom, aunt and grandma(no men in the house.) Pico was also the same city the lead detectives mother lived in. I still remember neighbours saying, don't worry, GIL will catch this nut! The Night Stalker killed someone in basically every single neighbouring city including Whittier, where I lived the next summer. Anyway, the most vivid memory of the summer of 1985 was that we just didn't sleep with the windows open! Holy shit, what a weirdo, but a pretty good descriptive book on the events.

stalker.jpg

Exactly. According to the book, when he was arrested and taken in, detectives wanted to question him immediately. At first Ramirez did not want to talk and instead began singing Night Prowler to the cops, friggin' idiot went all American Idol on the detectives! Though, of course American Idol did not exist. In any event, if you lived anywhere in the vicinity of Los Angeles at the time, it really became quite terrifying everytime you went to bed. He was also so crazy going in and killing any men in the house first! I'm not kidding you, being 10 years old and the only male in the house, I really would sit there staring at the walls, thinking as logical as a 10year old can, that if he picked our house, I'd be the first to go! Through all the accounts though where there were children in the house, he never hurt any of them. He did lock a 7yr old boy in the closet, but in a few of the homes he encountered everything from newborns to teenagers and all but one(a 16 year old girl) went unharmed. Though he did not kill the 16 year old girl. I just can't believe he has been in jail 25 years this month and he's still alive? Never made it to the chair yet, and no one in prison has killed him ala Jeffrey Dahmer. I guess Ramirez is in pretty tight protective quarters, away from other prisoners.

when he was arrested and taken in, detectives wanted to question him immediately.
After they took him to the jail doctor, I assume. Didn't the people who cornered him in East L.A. kick his ass pretty badly? To save LAPD the trouble...

They did beat him pretty good, which he was always extremely upset about. Well not about being beat up, but from who he received the beating. He always complained he could not believe his own people(mexicans) turned him in. He had several large gashes to the back of the head. One of the guys beating him with a pipe, kept screaming at his 17 year old son to go get his gun. By the books account, the son was on his way and his mother refused to let him take the gun. From other accounts I've read or watched, the people there were pretty much ready to beat him to death, but the cops arrived. Even once the cops were there, they had to leave the scene pretty quickly. The police said the crowd was growing by the minute and seemingly was minutes away from turning into an out of control mob! First thing he said from the back of the cop car as they left was, why didn't you let them kill me, you should have let them kill me.

Hmm, let's start with the hard one. CD i bought? I know recently I went out and went a little mental in a record store and bought a few things... Neil Young's Zuma, 13th Floor Elevators Easter Everywhere and Temptations Psychedelic Soul. All GREAT and the last book I just finished reading is Poe Ballantine's Decline of the Lawrence Welk Empire. A really good read but I think I prefer his non-fiction material, my personal fave is still Things I like about America. Anyone else read Ballantine? Opinions...

I'm on some sort of serial killer kick lately. Hopefully the FBI isn't keeping track of all the books I buy. Anyway just finished Ann Rule's Stranger Besides Me. It's her account of the Ted Bundy killings. Though, she has quite a different approach, since she was a friend of Ted Bundy's for years on and off, never knowing he was thee Ted the FBI was after for years. The book spares a lot of the gory details etc that the Night Stalker book I just read thrived on. However Ann Rule is certainly a better writer than Phillip Carlo. All in all, it was a page turner, one I couldn't put down. I guess I'm onto the Killer Clown, Gacy, next.

ted.jpg

the new c.d. by Dangermouse/Sparklehorse is excellent..'Dark Night Of The Soul'..moodily magnificent..will possibly appeal to Buk readers..who knows?

I love Danger Mouse. I think the albums he produced for the Black Keys and Beck are two of those artists best albums. He had a lot to do with the direction and sound of both albums. Of course his work on the mash up of the Beatles White Album/Jay Z's Black album was also brilliant.

i only really like about 4 songs on that album (the dangermouse/sparklehorse/david lynch thing), but i REALLY like those 4.

Obscene Extreme.jpg

a bit dry in spots, but overall a very interesting look at the banning of Steinbeck's book, as well as the social and political environment at the time.

The most recent cd, well parcel, that I bought that I can remember was Mogwai's Special Moves two LP, CD and dvd of Burning in a boxed set. Great live album and worth checking out. I might have bought more recently, but I can't remember.

I just finished Fante's The Brotherhood of the Grape and rereading the Guy Delisle comic, Pyongyang, and now I'm rereading South of No North and starting Wait Until Spring, Bandini. :)

I just read, "Dry Guillotine" (1938), by René Belbenoit. It's an autobiography about the 15 years he lived as a convict in the penal colony in French Guiana and his several escape attempts until he finally succeeded in escaping. It's a very exciting book and much better than, "Papillon", by Henri Charriere.

Belbenoit-Book-5-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, I've read Papillon several times, and I stupidly left my beat up old copy on a plane when my wife and I went to New Orleans back in September. I'll have to check this out. Thanks, Bukfan.

That sounds like my kind of book. They changed the title at some point, for who knows what reason...

Yes, they changed the title in the 1949 paperback edition. There's also two other paperback versions as you can see.
Belbenoit wrote a follow up book called, "Hell On Trial", which I also just read.

No wonder people say Papillon "borrowed" some of Belbenoit's adventures. When you read, "Dry Guillotine" you see many similarities between the two books, such as Belbenoit's 7 months stay with the Indians in Panama, which in, "Papillon", becomes 6 months with the Indians on the border between Columbia and Venezuela.
Also, Belbenoit went to the lepers island to get hold of a canoe for his escape, and who does the exact same thing? Papillon!

And you probably remember Papillon's sidekick, Dega (played by Dustin Hofman in the movie), who was convicted for forging national defence bonds. Well, he's in Belbenoit's, "Hell On Trial", too. Only, his real name is Degras and he did forge national defence bonds. There's other similarities too, so either both men experienced the same kinda things and people or Henri Charriere (Papillon) "borrowed" some of Belbenoit's adventures.

One thing is certain, some of Papillon's experiences are not true. There's been written books about him in France (unfortunately, not translated into English), where they've looked at his prison records. For instance, he did'nt escape from Devil's Island on a bag of coco nuts by throwing himself off a cliff. There's no cliffs on Devil's Island, and no record of anybody ever having escaped from the island, but he did stay on the Island for a few months before he was transferred to the mainland, where he became a nurse in the hospital at the Cascade forest camp, from which he escaped in a boat with a couple of other prisoners.

It's too bad he boosted his adventures because he did really experience a lot. It's true he was locked up in solitary confinement for years on Saint Joseph Island and then spend 5 years at Royale Island. He was transferred to Devil's Island at the end of 1942, and then he was transferred at April, 29, 1943, to the Cascade forest camp on the mainland, from which he escaped the night between March 18-19, 1944. After reaching Venezuela, he was imprisoned, but he finally reached Caracas in 1946 as a free man and became a Venezuelan citizen at July 5, 1956.

If only he had concentrated on his own experiences instead of "boosting" them.

Belbenoit-Book-1.jpg Belbenoit-Book-5-3.jpg Belbenoit-Book-7.jpg

'Notes From The Underground' is a great read.
I'm listening to the new Dylan CD's - 'The Witmark Demos 1962-1964'...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back