Last CD you bought/ Book you read (4 Viewers)

i also got a bunch of art zines and a couple of chapbooks from a collective called Art Bureau (http://www.myspace.com/artbureau. bill from BoS and rekrab may know these guys. it's beautiful, cool stuff. i haven't had a proper chance to look through all of them, but i've been reading one of the chapbooks, by a czech poet called martin reiner, and it's stunning. gorgeously presented too.

been on a cd buying binge lately. this is the last week or so.

The Fall - Complete Peel Sessions boxset.
Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
The Clash - From Here to Eternity Live
Joe Strummer - Rock Art and the X-Ray Style
Beth Gibbons - Out of Season
Portishead - S/T
Panda Bear - Young Prayer
Panda Bear - Person Pitch
Controller. Controller - X-Amounts
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Enrico Rava - Tati
Stefano Bollani - Piano Solo

Beth Gibbons! So serene.

Those John Peel sessions must be freaky indeed, huh?

Last book: http://www.eenzamesnelweg.com/pag1.html

The lonely highway: 40 yards illustrations, 4000 miles- from ground zero to city lights books, 135 pages. 1 journey, 2 stories, 2 disciplines.

Last CD: http://www.blackheartprocession.com/discography.php?&current_num=6

I wasn't going to comment about "god stuff." ;)

REGINA SPEKTOR:
Soviet Kitsch
Begin to Hope
Songs

Blue god stuff

Picture31968 copie.jpg

Nice pic of the god Krishna - playing his flute till he's blue in the face...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished John Fante's The Brotherhood of the Grape.
A pure delight. I can see why Buk marveled in Fante's choice of words to describe everyday life. Powerful sensual descriptions.
I am now reading The Road to Los Angeles.
What a beautiful writer.

The last Cd I bought: 'High' by New Model Army. It's beautiful I tell ya, and I recommend it. Doesn anyone here like New Model Army?

The last book I read was on Greenland, 'The North Pole of the Winds' by William Herbert Hobbs.
I am currently reading 'Underground Woman' by Marian Swerdlow: fantastic!

I wasn't going to comment about "god stuff." ;)

thank god he pays more attention to the broadsides and chapbooks he produces! :D

last cd: "reasons to be cheerful: the best of ian dury." currently reading "the many lives of tom waits," by patrick humphries; also "the man who mistook his wife for a hat," by oliver sacks. i would love to get hold of the "awakenings" documentary about sacks' post-encephalitic patients.
fascinating and disturbing. :eek:

CD - Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends. . . Ladies and Gentlemen, Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

Book - I forget the name. It's by Buk though.

I just bought today
Book - The Birth of the Nazis by Nigel Jones.

I can't read fiction anymore...unless it is fiction based on a lot of truth. I guess we call that non-fiction.
It's funny I am reading all the textbook type shit I wouldn't read in school to further my education.

This forum has reminded me that I need to buy a new CD, because I can't think of the last one.

Finished Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose not too long ago. Working on Stoner and Spaz by Ron Koertge right now.

CDs "acquired" recently: Easybeats, Lucinda Williams, Mott the Hoople, Electric Eels and, of course, "Will there always be Yodelers in Heaven?" (various artists).

I was l;istening to Tom Russell's Hotwalker. He has an interview (of sorts) with Little Jack Orton who stole the train with Buk or so he says I have no idea if it's true. It als has numerous tips of the hat to BUk throughut the CD
Here is the link to his site. http://www.tomrussell.com

just finished reading 'the raw shark texts' by steven hall. fascinating story about a man on the run from a 'conceptual shark' who's preying on his memories. great read for those who are interested in how language governs thought/thought governs language.

also finished 'no one belongs here more than you' by miranda july. beautiful stories. very eccentric, but totally lived up to what i was expecting, having seen her film. she has a very unique perspective on the world; she also has a way of accessing modes of thought that are usually very private and not talked about.

currently reading mjp's 'riding out the dumb silence' whilst simultaneously working through 'bonfire of the vanities'. i'm reading bits and pieces out of mjp's book; it sort of has the feel of having picked up someone's (very beautifully written) journal, in that there's a very natural conversational flow to the language. definitely not a bukowski imitation but certainly appeals to me for all the same reasons that bukowski does.

enough with the modesty! i think most people here would really enjoy it, and i highly recommend it - for less than $10 you don't have much to lose by buying it and giving it a go. just be careful mjp doesn't make a spelling mistake when he signs it for you and fuck up the long term value investment you're making... (kidding, mjp!)

i would quote some of the lines i really like so far, but i think i would only embarrass mjp ;)

currently reading mjp's 'riding out the dumb silence'

Yeah, me too.

I like it for whatever reasons anyone would care to prefer, but start with the title, and move on from there. I should add that whenever I've read from it to friends of mine they all want to know who this guy is. Is he still alive, and so forth.

I say yeah. He's alive.

gasmoney2.jpg

for anyone who likes ball kicking americana type shit

I've got whiskey drinking friends on repeat, and I'm listening to it over, and over, and over again.

Last cd Bashung,

Last book Open all night

"words are all right
as words
but never let them
get in the
way." Charles Bukowski

Today bought Raising Sand with Robert Plant/Alison Krauss
Delightful interpretation of Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley.
Beautiful voices. Great music and recording.
Something meditative and lightly romantic about the cd
It is very good.

Bought "The people look like flowers at last" by Buk

i've been listening to neko case's 'fox confessor brings the flood' on high rotation since june, and last week finally decidedly it was time for some new music.

so i got 'blacklisted', 'the tiger has spoken' and 'the virginian'... all by neko case. what can i say - i really like her stuff.

i'm not all that enthusiastic about searching out live performances. i would probably have more of a current eclectic mix playing, if SOMEONE WHO PROMISED ME MIXED CDs had actually sent them to me already.

i do this with music: listen to the same album nonstop for months, till i'm finally sick of it, then move onto another.

Today bought Raising Sand with Robert Plant/Alison Krauss
Delightful interpretation of Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley.
Beautiful voices. Great music and recording.
Something meditative and lightly romantic about the cd
It is very good.

got that, myself.
it is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back