Last CD you bought/ Book you read (1 Viewer)

Your Long Journey - from the same album - is playing now.

The album has a heartiness to it, like warm soup, and stories around the fireplace with
loved ones on a winter night.

if you don't have the deluxe edition of mjp's book, you're a fuckin nobody.

i mean it.

a total loser.

^^show-off.

just finished reading 'mooch' by dan fante. pretty brutal in places. i'm not sure how i feel about it: i really love the way he writes, the easy flow, the natural style of narrative; but i felt like the whole getting-a-second-chance device was kind of shit. but then again, the ending subverted that. i can't figure out how he really feels about this cultural phenomenon of the 'american dream' - in many ways he mocks it, through the character of eddy kammegian, but at the same time he admires it and wants to partake in it.

2029479446_307a15aceb_o.jpg

Touching from a Distance by Deborah Curtis (anyone here know Joy Division? - seminal band from the late 70's that became New Order upon the suicide of singer Ian Curtis)

Not a bad book but his wife painted him to be a long way short of the legendary status that he holds today

Oh, and I started Isaac Asimov's Prelude to Foundation 20 months ago and may finish it this year or maybe in 2008

pj harvey - white chalk
iron & wine - the shepherd's dog
phosphorescent - pride

3 cd's that will be on my year end top 10 list.

books.
just finished 2 books on Jackson Pollock.
currently reading Sam Shepard's book on Dylan... "Rolling Thunder Logbook".

I bought new Miles Davis CD. The Evolution Of The Groove. Well, the sellers shouldn't tell me that it's whole album. It's just 15 minutes long EP. 3/10

No wonder people download music. I too, bought one cd with 5 songs only.
I guess it depends on how long the songs are. Price put out two albums of Jazz/Funk instrumentals under the name Madhouse that have only 4 tracks each. But it's still an album's worth of music. ;)

[Later that same post...]

Scratch that, I just looked at the LPs and they have 8 tracks each. Maybe I was thinking of Metal Machine Music. Those are "instrumentals" too. Ha ha.

Carry on.

I bought new Miles Davis CD. The Evolution Of The Groove. Well, the sellers shouldn't tell me that it's whole album. It's just 15 minutes long EP. 3/10

heh, sounds like you bought the wrong Miles Davis album.
his stuff from the mid to late 60's (Bitches Brew, In a Silent Way, etc.) all have tracks running at 20 minutes or more.
but, yeah, a 15 minute cd does sound like a rip off.
wasn't Evolution... a remix project?

9 years.jpg

I just got this book about an 11 year old white boy who was kidnapped by the indians in Texas and lived with them for 9 years. He was trained as a warrior and participated in many indian raids, including killings and scalpings and what not. Against his will, he was returned to his family in 1879. A genuine "Little Big Man" story. One of those books you can't put down when first you start reading it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Recent purchases:
Neuromancer by William Gibson (Science Fiction)

CDs:
Kanye West - Graduation
Nas - Illmatic
The Clash - Combat Rock
Tenacious D - Wonderboy (a single I intend to return, I didn't pay enough attention to the cover)

I'm considering diving deeper into old hip hop/rap.

just finished " The Looming Tower. Al-Qaeda and the road to 9/11 " from Lawrence Wright.
WOW what an informative a scary read - now i am hooked in the topic and want more.
Any suggestions to go on ?

I'm considering diving deeper into old hip hop/rap.
In that case maybe you want to go back to the very beginning. Try; Big Youth - Screaming Targets.

It won't sound like the hip hop you're used to hearing, but it's where that all began. Duke Reid, Sir Coxsone Dodd, Lee "Scratch" Perry, Big Youth, I-Roy, U-Roy, Prince Far-I...

These guys invented improvising lyrics (they called it "toasting") over musical tracks (the dub - instrumental - B sides of Jamaican 45's). All modern hip hop can be traced back to these Jamaican pioneers. They started in the 60's, but the guys who did it in the very early 70's and released "toasting" singles and albums (it was all done live before that, never pressed on records for release - just like early hip hop) were the seeds of the New York hip hop movement of the late 70's.

Well, you've got a point there. They may have been the first to sound similar to what rap would become, but they started years after the Jamaican toasters, and they were not a significant influence on the kids in the Bronx who created hip hop. Later generations of hip hop artists would credit them as influences, but that may have been after the fact.

Reading "THE MICHELIN GUIDE TO CALIFORNIA" and listening to the hum of my room heater.

Currently listening to Sia's new album, Some People Have Real Problems

Currently reading Truman Capote's complete short stories - probably his best work I feel so far from what I've read.

I bought three CDs yesterday:
Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth
Dio - Master of the Moon
Saxon - Lionheart special edition box with a DVD and a surprise lanyard. Yeah, a Saxon Lionheart lanyard.

Books:
Nicky Silver - Fat Men in Skirts
William S. Burroughs - Word Virus: A William S. Burroughs reader
I'm also rereading Edwidge Danticat's The Farming of Bones for school.

reading Kinky Friedman now for the first time (after two friends used to beg me to do so).
It's not hillarious, but he's o.k.

I just bought the CD, "Canned Heat - Christmas Album" (2007). Great album with Christmas blues and boogie songs. First time I've heard "Jingle Bells" done as a blues tune...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
books i'm reading: le proces verbal by le clezio (love it so far), life of pi by yann martel (don't know if i like it so far), and shenzhen by guy delisle (graphic novel, love it).

i recently found RKL's lost album Reactivate on ebay, so i'm damn excited to hear that again.

taolin.jpg

Books by Tao Lin.

Bed - Very good short stories. Weird and dreamy in a Miranda July sort of way. If you don't like her, you will really hate this guy. He took what she does to another kind of over-the-top level.

Eeeee Eee Eeee - novel-length weirdness of his shorts. I'm only halfway through but have laughed out loud several times.

you are a little bit happier than i am - poems. Not good unless you like poems about emails and instant messages. I don't. Didn't even finish reading this and it's really thin and I finish everything I start. Just to give you an idea how much I didn't care for it.

don't care for ol' tao lin, reader of depressing books. him and his ilk leave me flat. I can see the appeal to the "so ironic we're not even" crowd;)

reading: Bill Taylor Jr's "Words for songs never written"
listening: Connie Price and the Keystones "Wildflowers"

also just reread some Hemingway stories and the power of "Indian Camp" is still astonishing. nobody builds an iceberg like that guy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back