Last CD you bought/ Book you read (4 Viewers)

Just finished reading Bright Lights, Big City which I thought was a hoot at times and poignant at others. Really enjoyed it. Just started on 'Mary and the Giant' by Philip K. Dick (it's one of his mainstream novels) and it looks good so far.

just received 'middle cyclone' from neko case in the mail - it's fantastic! any neko fans here are advised to buy it immediately.

Just bought two books on the yearly book sale here:

Richard Dawkins - "The God delusion", and, "Noam Chomsky - "Hegemony or survival-America's quest for global dominance."

I've read a lot about Dawkins book so I expect it'll be a good read. I have'nt read Chomsky before but I've seen a couple of documentaries about him and I liked them. One was about how the newspapers choose what news to report and what news not to report. Chomsky had made a scientific study about it. It was quite interesting...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished 'South of no North' which was predictably excellent ;) and I've just started on 'Northline' by Willy Vlautin, which appears good so far. I really enjoyed his other novel 'Motel Life'.

Northline was brilliant by the way. Desperately sad in places but also uplifting in places. A very 'human' book I thought.

Too embarassed to admit last 'CD'
and even more embarassed that I love it.

now this is too intriguing to be left alone.
you can tell us what it is... we wont judge you. ;)

last CD bought... i cant remember, its been a while.

currently reading...
the simpsons and philosophy
light in august - faulkner

i didn't buy, but had bought for me as wedding gifts from my lovely husband:

a signed first in near fine condition (NOT the ugly franklin edition - the pretty trade edition instead) of raymond carver's 'where i'm calling from'. never thought i'd own a signed carver.

a signed first, in near fine condition, of tobias wolff's 'in the garden of north american martyrs', which if you're a wolff fan you'll know is pretty rare.

Last CD: Points of View by the Dave Holland Quintet
Last Book: 439. Karl Weissner's translations of Buk poetry in German. I'm learning the language - what better way to learn?

I'm in a sports mode, the Lakers one game away from winning it all has me pumped up. So I just bought "The Jordan Rules" and "Mind Games: Phil Jackson's Long and Strange Journey in The NBA."

As for CD's, just picked up "Lady In Satin" by Billie Holiday!

I just got, "The Beats", a graphic novel by Harvey Pekar, illustrated (mostly) by Ed Piskor, ca. 200 pages (2009).
If you know the various Beat writers, and especially the big three, then you probably won't find much new info here. Here's some of the content:

Jack Kerouac...48 pages, Ginsberg...27 pages, Burroughs...17.pages, Tuli Kupferberg...20 pages (partly written by Kupferberg himself), Patchen...8 pages, City Lights And The Beats In San Francisco...10 pages, Beatnik Chicks...10 pages, d.a. levy...5 pages, Lamantia...8 pages. The rest of the Beats gets 2-4 pages each (Snyder, Di Prima, Whalen, McClure, Corso, Ferlinghetti, Olson, Duncan, Rexroth, Creeley). Then there's a few pages about "Art Beats" and "Jazz And Poetry".
On a scale of 1-5, I'll give it a 3. The info seems ok but the drawings could be better.
You can get a look inside the book at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Beats-Graphic...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246148610&sr=1-1

I read The Road by Cormac McCarthy a couple of weeks ago. Not bad I guess, but I was a little disappointed having had several people urge me to read one of his books as if he were the greatest thing since sliced bread. The story was okay, though there was nothing especially original or groundbreaking about it, and it bothered me that it was written in a simple style with the occasional "big word" thrown in, almost as if he were trying to impress readers with his stunning vocabulary (I have nothing against "big words" when they're the best choice to express something, but when they're used gratuitously, well...). I'm guessing that the forthcoming movie will probably be okay in an oh-fuck-it's-the-end-of-the-world sort of way.

I work with a guy who had nightmares every night while he was reading The Road. He had to stop reading it before bed. I thought that was pretty wild. I have a copy but have yet to open it.

The Road bored me. It was like, I don't know, several Stephen King plots reduced down to a third and no quotation marks in dialogs. Wow.

But I'm no McCarthy fan altogether. I found Blood Meridian crappy too, with the exception of Judge Holden, who seemed to be an interesting character.

It was the first McCarthy's book I read and it turned out to be a big surprise (a positive one) !

Roght now : Les misérables, from Victor Hugo.

....and I've just started on 'Northline' by Willy Vlautin, which appears good so far. I really enjoyed his other novel 'Motel Life'.

Northline was brilliant by the way. Desperately sad in places but also uplifting in places. A very 'human' book I thought.

i just finished Vlautin's "Motel Life". i thought was a good, easy read. kinda bleak. i guess i'm just so used to buk's humor mixed in with the bleakness. i'm gonna get "Northline" soon...

I just got, "The Beats", a graphic novel by Harvey Pekar, illustrated (mostly) by Ed Piskor, ca. 200 pages (2009).
If you know the various Beat writers, and especially the big three, then you probably won't find much new info here. Here's some of the content:

Jack Kerouac...48 pages

I'm re-reading Desolation Angels.
Don't tell the Bukowski dot net members, deal?

Anyone else disappointed with the ending of The Road. Without going into spoiler territory, it just seemed out of the blue and rushed, you could even say it was a Hollywood Ending. I'd have rather had something a little darker, something that fitted in with the bleakness captured so well in the rest of the story.

Oh and last CD is 'Two Dancers' by Wild Beasts and last book is Naive. Super by Erlend Loe.

The last book I bought was by Hosho-Cunningham,
sunlight at midnight, darkness at noon,
last cd, the be good tanyas, Hello Love

I bought EXILE ON MAIN STREET last week - I'm in a Stones nostalgia phase...

I just heard them on you tube. Very nice, One Voice...
That is up my alley Steve. I have always been a folkie. Worked security for several years for the Vancouver Folk Fest.
My son would sleep in the trailer while I wired tents and instruments.
Many stories to be told when I have grandchildren.;)

I know you met Townes Van Zandt, did your son get to met him also?

and could you beat me in an arm wrestling challenge? ;)

Not anymore, but I took self defence at the Justice Institute from Doctor Pain.
Possibly could get you to tap out for one of my apple pies.
My son met Townes but he was too young to remember, he also climbed on Van Ronk's belly.

well, I hope he got the "I climbed Dave Van Ronk's belly" bumper sticker. I hear they're only second in sales to the Mt. Washington bumper sticker.

I'll take the pie, no wrestling needed. apple pie is one of my favourite pies. it's a neck and neck race with pecan.

and it is cool that your son climbed Van Ronk's belly.

CDs - I'll count these as one, since they are the same artist, Peter Tosh, and I picked them all up at the same time:

The Toughest
Arise Black Man
Can't Blame the Youth
Black Dignity

More old (60's/early 70's) Wailers. Either gold or junk, depending on your perch. Gold to me. I've been listening to these guys for 30 years and I still hear new (to me) tracks all the time. It is a deep well to go to.

The last book I read is the fine literature, Tom Cruise: An Unauthorized Biography by Andrew Morton. Oh yes. And I am currently re-reading Miranda July's awe-inspiring No one belongs here more than you.

The last book I read is the fine literature, Tom Cruise: An Unauthorized Biography by Andrew Morton. Oh yes. And I am currently re-reading Miranda July's awe-inspiring No one belongs here more than you.

In the unauthorized bio, is there anything about the french wrestler? or did the sci-tologists bury that?
I could not erase Miranda July.

In the unauthorized bio, is there anything about the french wrestler? or did the sci-tologists bury that?
No French wrestler. Isn't that Mickey Rourke's next movie?

I don't think Scientologists were able to keep anything out of the book, which is why it's "unauthorized." Major chunks of the second half are more about Scientology than Cruise. I'm sure it is not a book they like to see, but the internet blew the lid off their psychotic cartoon show anyway. The genie is out of that space alien bottle.

They were able, however, to prevent it from being published in a few countries, most notably Great Britain.

Last CD I bought, "Horehound" by the Dead Weather, which if ya didn't know is Jack White's new band. I must say, it's phenomenal, but I'm way biased whenever it comes to Jack White. Personally, I think he's one of those special things that hits music every 50 years or so.

Anyway, just finished reading "Living At The Movies" by Jim Carroll. Eh, not a big fan, and his poetry never really grabs me, but it was on the shelf, and so I read it.

The "specialness" of White, his Stripes, et al escapes me. He/they are okay, but special? Define special. Maybe the meaning has changed and no one told me.

Jack's got potential; he just has to stop hiding behind his quirky novelty act. Real songs--real emotions and he'd be on his way.

He does play a mean low down, dirty slide guitar though.

Just picked up the first volume of Transmetropolitan. So far so good there... I also just finished Zafon's The Angel's Game which was excellent. As far as CDs? Man, I can't even remember the last time I bought one...

Also just finished reading the Preacher graphic novel series... Excellent, funny, terrifying writing...

I bought EXILE ON MAIN STREET last week - I'm in a Stones nostalgia phase...
Yeah , I`m in a Stonesnostalgia too
Listen to STILL LIFE AMERICA `81
Exile on main street is the best Rockalbum of this time .
And Keith was on heroin and he write the most songs of Exile
I read the book from Barbara Charone over Richards it`s amazing !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back