Last song (1 Viewer)

Ok you are being buried and one song gets to be thrown in the grave with you to define you or your perspective -what is it.

(and FU to all those who mention cremation)

"see you later" by elliott smith. seems kinda fitting for a burial i guess...

i love this line:
"i got a choke chain, made outta night train, to keep your memory down,
and quicksand from the main man, to drown everything out"

damn that's good stuff!

[This video is unavailable.]

yep, something by Dylan... and I would let my daughters decide which song...(an argument ensues...)

I'm gonna have to think about this one. One song huh? I am of course a Sound Editor by trade and could possibly mash up my whole collection of music into one really long song, which would last me approx. 8.9 days. That way eternity wouldn't seem so long.:D

Hmmm one song, I'l get back to ya.

The Parting Glass (trad.) by The Pogues

Oh, all the money e'er I had, I spent it in good company.
And all the harm that ever I've done, alas it was to none but me.
And all I've done for want of wit to mem'ry now I can't recall;
So fill to me the parting glass, Good night and joy be with you all.

Oh, all the comrades e'er I had, they're sorry for my going away.
And all the sweethearts e'er I had, they'd wished me one more day to stay.
But since it falls unto my lot, that I should rise and you should not,
I gently rise and softly call, Goodnight and joy be with you all.

If I had money enough to spend, and leisure time to sit awhile.
There is a fair maid in this town, that sorely has my heart beguiled.
Her rosy cheeks and ruby lips, I own, she has my heart in thrall;
Then fill to me the parting glass, Good night and joy be with you all.

I've had this planned since 2001 when I first heard Dave Carter. He opened his set with this song:

written by Dave Carter, performed by Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer.

I break it out once a year since he died in 2003 and at least half a dozen other times when I'm feeling mournful.

I've been thinking about the set to be played at my funeral many-a-times. Can't even get to only a dozen songs. There are so many great ones for a goodbye.

Pessi: by Bruckner, I'd prefer his 9th (also d minor). Not only because he died over it (unfinished). But because of its dramatic impact.

"End of the End" by Paul Mccartney, which to me, seems like he wrote it to be played at his funeral? Great song either way...

Or "In My Life" by the Beatles...Seems to just sum up a life, good and bad with a great melody.

Haha, that is kind of funny. Reminds me of a story I've read a couple times. Bono says that he is always suprised when people tell him that they used "One" as their wedding song. He said it surprises him because the song was about the end of a relationship.

Although in this situation, the song "In My Life" is definately about falling in love harder than anytime before. If I remember correctly John Lennon had said it was about Cynthia, his first wife and though he had fallen so in love with her, he didn't want to forget his past...So a pretty good choice for a wedding song indeed!

I guess I'll go with "End of The End" by Sir Paul!

i recall reading that In My Life was played at kurt cobain's funeral.
more trivia: the (often mistaken as) harpsicord solo in that song is actually a piano, sped up in post production.

My friend played Imagine for his mom today she was 92 and known for her left leaning politics and sense of humour-pretty cool service. It ended with a video montage of her life to Isn't She Lovely Stevie Wonder-worked well. Oh yeah there was also a list of Bush misquotes in the montage. She didn't him much. Children left doing Ministry of silly walks. She liked Monty Python.

i recall reading that In My Life was played at kurt cobain's funeral.
more trivia: the (often mistaken as) harpsicord solo in that song is actually a piano, sped up in post production.

It's actually a harmonium (read: cheezy keyboard) played by George Martin at half-time (and hence a tritone lower than the key of the song) and then sped up to double-time for the final mix. Back in those days, you couldn't digitally play in the home key and speed up/slow down while retaining the original key.

Probably I Ran by Flock of Seagulls or I Will Survive or Yummy Yummy I Got Love in My Tummy. Or the patriotic medly by Elvis.

Actually, I have given this some thought and I would like The Big Ship and Becalmed off of Another Green World by Eno.

It's actually a harmonium (read: cheezy keyboard) played by George Martin at half-time (and hence a tritone lower than the key of the song) and then sped up to double-time for the final mix. Back in those days, you couldn't digitally play in the home key and speed up/slow down while retaining the original key.

Magic. Got it.

Modest Mouse

Bury Me With It

We were shootin at a mound of dirt
Well nothing was broken nothing was hurt
But I probably really should have been at work
But if my free time's gone would you promise me this that you will

Please bury me with it
Please bury me with it

Well as sure as planets come I know that they end
And if I'm here when that happens just promise me this my friend

Please bury me with it
I just don't need none of that mad max bullshit

Well the suit got tight and it split at the seams
But I kept it out of habit and I kept it real clean
But if it's getting faded, if it's runnin' outta thread
Could you do this for me my friend?

Please bury me with it
Please bury me with it

Well we moved to the left and we moved to the right
And sure as hell we stayed out almost every single night
But if the party's over, if the fun has to end
Could you do this for me my friend, would you just

Please bury me with it
Please bury me with it

Good news for people who love bad news
We've lost the plot and we just can't choose
We are hummingbirds who are just not willing to move
And that's good news for people who love bad news
We are hummingbirds who lost the plot
And we will not move
We have good news for anyone
Who loves bad news

We were aiming for the moon, we were shooting at the stars
But the kids were just shooting at the buses and the cars
So dont drink the water, dont you breathe the air
And if its gotten to that point then I have to declare

Please bury me with it
Please bury me with it

Well fads they come and fads they go
And God I love that rock and roll
Well the point was fast but it was too blunt to miss
Life handed us a paycheck, we said "We worked harder than this!"

Please bury me with it
Please bury me with it

Oh shit now!

We are hummingbirds who are just not willing to move
And there's good news for people who love bad news

We are hummingbirds who lost the plot
And we will not move
We have great news for anyone who loves bad news

umm, yea, that's what i meant ;)

i read about it a few years ago, but i guess recollection isn't quite my forte...

Actually, I was wrong. Martin plays harmonium on The Word and If I Needed Someone, but it was an electric piano on In My Life. And if it was played at half-time, it would have been an octave lower, not a tritone as I indicated before.

Bottom line: Ignore me. Except for this.

'Knockin on heavens door' could be one on the list.

But tonight I think
'Sometimes it Snows in April' would do it.

(if you Do want to listen: give it some time - he doesn't start to sing before ca. 1/3rd of the song is over. But it's worth it: The lyrics are great for the purpose.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back