Laugh Literary and Man the Humping Guns (1 Viewer)

Johannes

Founding member
I understand that there were 3 issues of this mag, Vol. 1 in `69.

Does anyone have one of these issues or information about which poems of B. were included? And which Poets beside B.? And who was the ominous 3rd editor beside B. and Cherry? I googled, but couldn?t find out.

Thanks, Johannes

Hopefully this is correct... info taken from the Database, Fogel and a couple of recent ebay listings...

Laugh Literary and Man the Humping Guns Vol. 1 Issue 1, 1969
  • contributing Editor Harold Norse
  • Contains 2 Bukowski poems:
  • The Grand Pricks of the Hob-Nailed Sun
  • I Thought I Was Going to Get Some
  • plus various illustrations.

Laugh Literary and Man the Humping Guns Vol. 1 Issue 2

• 2 letters?

Laugh Literary And Man The Humping Guns Vol. 1 No. 3, 1971

• Bukowski to Cherry (letter)
  • The Time I Knocked Out Ernest Hemingway and Was Discovered as a New Literary Giant (story)

Supposedly Bukowski also wrote some poems for these under various names because they were having trouble getting enough material that Bukowski felt was good enough to include. Which poems... I have no idea.

I always wanted to read those and try to guess which other poems Bukowski wrote under assumed names.

Bukowski wanted to name the mag LAUGH LITERARY AND MAN THE FUCKING GUNS, I heard or read somewhere. But Cherkovski talked him out of it.

Thank you so far.

- mjp, I think this is in Sounes`, I've read it too.

- Bill, if you have some sort of contact, that would be really interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Supposedly Bukowski also wrote some poems for these under various names because they were having trouble getting enough material that Bukowski felt was good enough to include. Which poems... I have no idea.

I always wanted to read those and try to guess which other poems Bukowski wrote under assumed names.

Sounds like fun for the whole family! These are from Laugh Literary And Man The Humping Guns Vol. 1 No. 3, 1971.

In addition to not including the work attributed to Buk and Neeli, I also left out the poems by Masarik, Pleasents and Richmond. I did not Google any of the "poets" below yet because it would ruin the fun.

2.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg

Paul Vangelisti was/is a poet, so I removed that one.

Tony Quagliano is Bukowski, as, I suspect, is E. Rosenthal. Donald Schenker is the same typewriter, but doesn't sound like Bukowski (trying to be Bukowski, anyway). Who knows.

Bukowski wanted to name the mag LAUGH LITERARY AND MAN THE FUCKING GUNS, I heard or read somewhere. But Cherkovski talked him out of it.

I think you're right about that title. I believe this was discussed in one of the letter books... but my memory is a little hazy at the moment.

Wondering if anyone knows anything about Bukowski and Cherry creating a limited edition for Laugh Literary number 1,

I have two copies with signatures from Buk, Cherry, and Norse (plus Richmond in one copy). One is marked #9 and the other is marked #13.

I imagine both were signed at the magazine's collating party at Bukowski's De Longpre address.

Untitled-1.jpg IMG_20160806_0027.jpg

You should ask Neeli.

On another note, Norse's signature is ridiculous....

Also, I thought that I mentioned this before, but that poem by E. Rosenthal is actually by Bukowski and Neeli writing together. There is no E. Rosenthal. This was told to me by Neeli.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back