Left Handed Buk (1 Viewer)

When I saw the movie, I noticed that Dillon was lefthanded, but just in the respect that Hey! Matt Dillon is lefthanded. I didn't really think if Bukowski was or not. I would guess right handed.

But yet Hooch, in that Bukowski Avatar pic you have he is drinking his glass with the lef hand....a minor detail...I suppose you can drink a pint with both hands...just a minor observation.

Funny how much detail people wish to go into, the minutiae of everyday life!!

Fun and Games all round I suppose....

Olaf said:
But yet Hooch, in that Bukowski Avatar pic you have he is drinking his glass with the lef hand....a minor detail...I suppose you can drink a pint with both hands...just a minor observation.

fair enough...and I think he smokes left handed also...at least I think he does in the Bukowski tapes...

So he smokes and drinks with his left hand and writes with his right..
The mystery is solved...:)

both of his hands were on the typewriter, he did not have time to write handwritten pieces, he tried to keep a pen in his mouth so he could circles the winners on the race card.

Bill,

I think you shouldn't have removed it. Isn't this an OPEN forum where we can discuss everything Bukowski related? (and non related in the NON-Bukowski forum). Hell, mjp seems to nicely flow in that direction, too, which is always welcome in any forum. And he's the big boss here :D

I don't understand your removing your post, truly. You don't have to make anyone "happy" in this forum as far as I'm concerned.

Just think about this: would Bukowski have removed the thread?

Hi,
No big deal. It was just me tired of hearing how stupid my post was. That being said, it is not a big deal. This is still the best damn forum out there!

ahhh...

Bill

bospress.net said:
Removed, happy?
No, I'm not.
99.9999% of the people took this thread the way it was intended; as diversion, fun and a bit of silliness.
nothing wrong with that...l

Isn't there an episode in Ham on Rye where Henry's father tries to force him to eat with his right hand - even though he's left handed?
Or is this from a poem somewhere?
Or maybe its my left-handed imagination running wild again? :D

I don't remember that in a Bukowski piece, but it was a common practice until not long ago to force naturally left handed children to use their right hands. Why, I have no idea. I guess for the same reason they cut off our foreskins. So we'd "fit in." Ha.

Most of my dad's brothers are left-handed, as am I, but he has vague memories of being forced to write with his right hand by the nuns at his elementary school. Now he has bizarre penmanship that mixes block uppercase and lowercase letters, and he presses down so damn hard that he can't use fine-tip pens because the tips break so easily. Sheesh. I wonder if he could have been a calligrapher or something with his left hand...

Erik said:
Isn't there an episode in Ham on Rye where Henry's father tries to force him to eat with his right hand - even though he's left handed?
Or is this from a poem somewhere?
Or maybe its my left-handed imagination running wild again? :D

Yeah, its right at the start of Ham on Rye:

My spoon was bent so that if I wanted to eat I had to pick the spoon up with my right hand. If I picked it up with my left hand, the spoon bent away from my mouth. I wanted to pick the spoon up with my left hand.

So maybe, Bukowski was going to be left handed, but ended up becoming right handed. He certainly signed autographs with his right, as seen in the footage from the Hamburg reading in 1978.

For some reason, I feel compelled to weight in on the "left-handed/right-handed" controversy. When Bukowski signed a book for me (a disaster I've written about elsewhere), I think he used his right hand. I wasn't really paying attention to that aspect -- other shit was going on -- but that's how I visualize it now. Interesting thread Bill...thanks for starting it. Are we indulging in hero worship? Maybe a little, but what the hell; this IS a Bukowski Forum, for chrissakes.

David

bospress.net said:
No big deal. It was just me tired of hearing how stupid my post was.
Don't let the bustards get you down, Bill. Screw'em, I say, if they can't take a joke; I (for one) haven't said a serious word since 1979 (maybe one or two), and don't think the lame-oos (spelling?) should run the world,

SD

Hi Sam & Dave,
Thanks for the defense, but I have moved on. Yet this thread still wil not die. arghhhh.... It is all good, baby!

Bill

mjp said:
... I guess for the same reason they cut off our foreskins. So we'd "fit in." Ha.

That's news to me. I thought you had to be jewish or moslem to suffer that abuse...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, just being born American in the twentieth century (but most commonly on the baby boom and subsequent generations) was enough.

lol...I can?t imagine to have a part of my penis cut of and thrown away! :eek: And besides it serves a purpose when you masturbate :D
What a strange american trend...

Gentlemen, hope you are well. Just
came across this thread of humor
and felt inspired to add a few words
of my own:

[Bad poetry removed.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back