Life after death (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
I just noticed that when The Continual Condition is released there will be as many posthumous poetry collections as there are poetry collections released during Bukowski's lifetime (11 when he was alive, 11 after death).

That is strange.

Especially considering that the 11 released during his lifetime spanned 25 years, and the 11 since have come out in only 15 years.

(That 11 during his lifetime only counts the stuff that remained in print, not the limited small runs or early chapbooks.)

That is an interesting coincidence in numbers. I suppose Ecco knew they had a cash cow when they bought the rights, so they're getting as much mileage out of it as quickly as they can.

Can't say I blame them. And I don't mind getting some here-to-fore uncollected stuff. Especially with those... editorial changes. Makes for interesting reading.

I guess Buk was right when he said it would explode after his death (was it in the Buk tapes he said it?)...

... (was it in the Buk tapes he said it?)...

he said it in 'The captain' (8/24/92).

The coincidence of numbers will vanish after the next book. It had always been said, Buk had written FAR MORE poems than were published. Now we got the proof. It will go on.

And even if most of these posthumous published poems can't compete to the other ones, I like to get them collected. An artist can't work on the same level of quality all the time. But maybe - if we do appreciate him at all - we should appreciate him as a whole (by that I mean, even in his weaker moments).

I just noticed that when The Continual Condition is released there will be as many posthumous poetry collections as there are poetry collections released during Bukowski's lifetime (11 when he was alive, 11 after death).

That makes 22!

If an author/artist really has the gift, everything they do is interesting to the hardcore fan. They are incapable of being boring. Bukowski is one of these, and so it's all worth publishing. Every rotten drunken typewriter banging word of it.

When is The Continual Condition coming out?
September 29

And is it unpublished stuff or an assortment of previous stuff?
Uncollected, but not necessarily unpublished. Most of them appeared at some point in old lit mags but were never published in book form by BSP or Ecco. A few poems have appeared more recently on works from Bottle of Smoke Press and X-Ray Press.

The Continual Condition thread.

Uncollected, but not necessarily unpublished. Most of them appeared at some point in old lit mags but were never published in book form by BSP or Ecco. A few poems have appeared more recently on works from Bottle of Smoke Press and X-Ray Press.
I hope they credit X-Ray and Bottle of Smoke in the book.

They did in the advance proof. I'm waiting for 9/29 and will go buy the book and see if it stays. I have no reason to believe that it will not.

Bill

And lets hope that they keep promoting the "Author web site" as bukowski.net, as the press information on the proof does. ;)

Especially since HC/ECCO is pissing away the charlesbukowski.com domain (no site there anymore). Maybe they will give it to us. Sure.

If an author/artist really has the gift, everything they do is interesting to the hardcore fan. They are incapable of being boring. Bukowski is one of these, and so it's all worth publishing. Every rotten drunken typewriter banging word of it.

Well put.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back