Linda Bukowski responds to the NYT review of Pleasures of the Damned (1 Viewer)

nice to see her correct an error. It was a pleasant way to call him out and let him know of an inaccuracy.

Let's hope that he does not come back with the common-law marriage argument. His line was flip and incorrect. He should stand corrected.

Bill

Everybody here is a Beighle fan. Thanks to her keeping him alive we have his best work, done in the 80s.

It was a great letter and she had some help in writing it. The line in the Times was technically incorrect but it was a metaphor for Buk having been fucked-up for over 50 years. Buk admitted as much and Linda can be proud of having put an end to his shambolic domestic lifestyle.

Professor Higgins Speaks Out

Listen to her in THE BUKOWSKI TAPES and BORN INTO THIS. Her vocabulary and syntax do not match the "register" of the letter in the TIMES.

I see! I never thought of that! Could it be because of the difference in spoken language and written language? If we had some writings of hers then we could compare...

What? People actually speak and write in different ways? ODDS BODKINS!

Anyone here have any background information on THE WIDOW?

We know she's from Philly. Main Line Philly or R. Crumb Philly?

Schooling?
Work?
Pre-Baba days?

Main Line Philly or R. Crumb Philly?
R. Crumb was from Dover, DE and went to High School 1/4 mile from where I am sitting.

He may have lived in Philly before that and also in Milford, DE...

Also, I do not know Linda personally, but have friends who know her very well. I have no doubts that she wrote the letter without anyones help. Certainly hanging out talk is much different than writing that is being sent to a major newspaper.

Bill

What? People actually speak and write in different ways? ODDS BODKINS!

LOL..Right, and that's why I don't think you can compare her letter to what she says on the Buk DVD's...

I think there's bits of information about her in some of the Buk bio's...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wel then, it's off to the woodshed for me to bone up on those bios!

Thanks!

R. Crumb was from Dover, DE and went to High School 1/4 mile from where I am sitting.
He may have lived in Philly before that and also in Milford, DE...

That explains why all the girls in your neighbourhood have big bottoms, thunder thighs, hairy legs and frizzy hair. Do they give you piggy-back rides? (Obscure Crumb reference)

Last edited by a moderator:
MULLINAX said:
That explains why all the girls in your neighbourhood have big bottoms, thunder thighs, hairy legs and frizzy hair. Do they give you piggy-back rides? (Obscure Crumb reference)

You made me laugh, Mullinax. Yes, Bill has a little whip he uses on them.

My speaking style (I have several of them) is different from my writing style (have several). I can believe Linda could write a letter that sounds nothing like the way she spoke. Writing can be highly focused thought, while speech is usually thought on the fly. And then when it's public vs private, has legal or critical or financial ramifications, everything is done so much more carefully. Now I gotta go read what she actually said. She already has my vote for a good person, and probably added many good years to Bukowski's life and hundreds of poems to his canon. Forget the kicking scene; you can see in the final home videos on BORN INTO THIS how much Linda meant to Bukowski.

Whoa, THE Jim Harrison wrote the review?

Good writer. He also hails from Michigan (from Grayling; I'm from Alpena, so as a fellow Michigan writer, he has a special place in my heart).

Now that I've read Linda's letter, a good letter. Just the right tone. Setting the record straight without going to war.

Me too.
Actually, I thought it after Recrab had put it into words.
I'm gonna remember that.

That's a beautiful letter. Glad to see she set the record straight too. I've been kinda confused as to whether they were married or not myself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back