literature network top 100 books (3 Viewers)

The list might look a little different if it was on the only forum that matters.
Pierre Menard
I'm going to go ahead and say as a forum, overall, we have far better taste than the majority of other forums :P

I stopped reading the list after #1.

The list doesn't make sense. How does one compare novels, epics, religious texts, and poetry? Why not include books like Origin of Species by Charles Darwin?

The list doesn't make sense. How does one compare novels, epics, religious texts, and poetry? Why not include books like Origin of Species by Charles Darwin?

Because Origin of Species and The Bible would probably start fighting and wreck the place.

too much Tolkien. Rand? the Bible? please. plays shouldn't be included because they are meant to be staged, not just read. the rest of the list leans heavily on "the canon."

that being said, I've read over half on that list. fetch me my pipe and elbow patches!

It seems that they voted on these and there were not that many votes required to place on the list. One guy commented that he was the only vote for one book and it was #105, so it seems that 10 people could make a book #1. At least with the Bukowski list, it serves a purpose. If someone asks where to start, it is easy to tell them. This "online-Literature" forum serves no purpose.

Q: Hey, what book should I read as I LOVE literature?
A: The Bible

ha!

too much Tolkien. Rand? the Bible? please. plays shouldn't be included because they are meant to be staged, not just read. the rest of the list leans heavily on "the canon."
that being said, I've read over half on that list. fetch me my pipe and elbow patches!

Agreed, until the bit about plays not being included, for me there aren't enough included, I would take out Hamlet and swap it for Merchant of Venice and Macbeth, keep Othello of course and Tennessee Williams, add in Arthur Miller's The Crucible and Death of a Salesman too.(feel better now, but want to add a few more)

Plus,#14 annoys me, tried to read it a long time ago when it was called Remembrance of things Past (In search of Lost Time does sound like your hunting high and low for your watch, it is a more accurate translation, but less pretty). Anyway can't claim it as read, because I abandoned it, think it is over 4000 words long - life's too short might try again...later.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back