Lively discussion (1 Viewer)

nice...

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski

If anyone wonders, the text quoted in that first post is from 'The Captain Is Out To Lunch And The Sailors Have Taken Over The Ship'.

If anyone wonders, the text quoted in that first post is from 'The Captain Is Out To Lunch And The Sailors Have Taken Over The Ship'.

Looks like we need a Hank Solo appreciation thread. -speaking of lively discussions.

FATHER LUKE Where do you find all of these neat things? I wonder who the Waelthy Hobo is?

Er... What's it say beneath the avatar?
<==
:D

Maybe I have Bukoblastophobia. That is a fear of people that hate on Bukowski;

I also have bibliostainaphobia, which is obvious;

and I cannot touch silk.... I guess that is called silkafreaksmeouttaphobia.

Bill

LOL - What about Shermanphobia or Pleasantsphobia? And recently some of us was about to get Sounesphobia...:D

I considered sending that quote out to my office, but then I realised I do need a job, so I just sent it to a few people, the ones that can't fire me. Nice one Father Luke.

full of cotton...I like that.

Bill, I'd look into that silk thing if I were you. That is odd. Then again, I don't go around touching silk all day, so maybe I can't stand it either and just don't know it.

I have a bad case of Icanttouchasilkaphobia and also a bad case of icantlookatkitesandtetheredballoonsaphobia. My mother's husband thought that it was funny that I can't touch silk. He has no problems touching silk, but cannot touch felt. Go figure.

You will likely never see a BoSP book bound in silk.

Bill

confession-time - you would NEVER guess and Never believe:
I DO have beerophobia.
that's serious.
even when I was a child, my parents had to put their bottles and glasses at the other end of the table. (they were no alcoholics btw.)
Still I cannot stand the smell of it. NO WAY!
And you know what? I live in a town, that likes to call itself the 'world-capital of beer' !!! (that's because Bamberg has a GREAT LOT of breweries and the whole area around the town is full of them too. Each single little pub in each village brews it's own beer here! so I'm a kind of outcast on that.)

I'd wear it, but would have to walk around with my arms out like a bodybuilder and my legs bowlegged like an old-school Coyboy. Also, I would not be able to sit down as the sound of the silk on a chair would freak me out.

It would be funny for everyone else, though.

Plus, my suit for the GPP summit will be make completely out of overrun GPP broadsides of one Michael Phillips....

Bill

Do you have any of your other books for sale? I have the last one, but want more....

What are the titles? If I do a search on abe for you, I'll likely pull up a lot of religious books....

I'm sure that you have seen the other Michael J. Phillips on the leterpress forum? He is a publisher of a letterpress journal.

Bill

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski

What's the attribution for the Bukowski work quoted in Black Swan's posting above?

It's a journal entry from 'The Captain Is Out To Lunch And The Sailors Have Taken Over The Ship'.
The part Black Swan quoted specifically is from 29 August 1991 10:55 PM.

The other excerpt quoted on the other forum is from 12 September 1991 11:19 PM.

Do you have any of your other books for sale? I have the last one, but want more....

What are the titles? If I do a search on abe for you, I'll likely pull up a lot of religious books....

I'm sure that you have seen the other Michael J. Phillips on the leterpress forum? He is a publisher of a letterpress journal.
Yeah, I have received a lot of email in the past meant for the letterpress Michael Phillips and the CHRISTIAN Michael Phillips.

I had a couple of other books but they are out of print. The publisher of one of them recently re-emerged from a decade of silence, but won't answer my question when I ask if he still has any copies left that I could buy from him. I take his silence as a "no," since I can't imagine him passing on the chance to unload them if he could. It was a small run anyway, so maybe they are all gone. Or maybe he'll start selling them on eBay like the Bukowski posters he published back in the 90's...

Hey, actually looks like there are a few on Abe. That book is kind of hit and miss though, honestly. I don't like some of the things in there. But maybe I just don't like them because they are old, and they seem a little dusty to me. ;)

The other thing I consider a "book" is actually a three chapbook set that I did around the same time, with hand printed covers made from lino cuts and all that fancy shit. But there were only 50 of those sets, and I sold them way too cheaply, so they kind of disappeared fast. I have one set and Carol has one. Otherwise, they're all out there somewhere.

But now that you mention it, there are still some cool things available at smog.net! http://smog.net/words/

I recently found a few copies of the rare ANTI-WAR - A collection of dissident work by letterpress printers broadside sets that I didn't know I had, so that's available again for as long as those last (unfortunately they are still relevant). And you can see all my old out of print crap there too. You know, for those of you who are really tremendously bored.

I feel no shame pimping my wares in this forum, and neither should anyone else. We are our own best audience and market.

I also took inspiration from someone here and made a checklist of my publications. You know, because I'm not self-involved enough as it is. But it's good to have, because I forgot about some of the stuff, and some of it I don't even have a copy of, which is kind of a drag. Maybe I should be checking eBay for a copy of SLUGfest vol 5, no. 2, (my first published work!) ;) I think I could safely win that auction.

Actually, the issue after that one is funny, because they fucked up something when they printed my poems, so I wrote them this bitchy little letter about what idiots they were to do that (very first-time-published kind of thing to do), and they exacted their revenge by reprinting the poems properly in the next issue, but they also printed my letter, which made me look like the tremendous asshole I was being. Lesson learned.

That's the one to look for if you think I'm a dick. It will reinforce your view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back