Looking for a publisher (1 Viewer)

willtoobroke

The Right Wing is the scourge of humanity
You folks helped me out a few years ago Need a short story title. Had to do with me being in a Bukgrowlski story.

Living in Australia since 1989 has put me out of the Umeruhcan loop regarding agents and publishers, whether big press or small press. Haven't a clue where to start, and a few old friends from the 60s mimeo scene don't have any clues either.

Wrote a couple of books over the years, which I extensively revised last year. Now that the silly season is over here at the arse end of the world, it's time to do something with them. They take place in Sacramento, CA, B.C. and Paris, not popular places for Aussie fiction.

Hesitate to write more on this first post. Question being, are there any simpatico agents or publishers out there, or is it all over?

Regards,

Will Hageman née The Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that's real fuckin' helpful. Sorry I asked. Thing about forums is the assholes don't usually get nasty & bitchy until later on. Some poor schmuck eventually asks a question some asshole thinks everyone knows the answer to and then lays into him. Whole buncha lotsa fun from his sebum-spurting bunker. Expected more from bukowski.net.

Charles Bukowski on Willie

Willie is a guy you can't hate. Willie is having a look around. he's no phony hippy, he's no phony anything. Willie is all the way there. how long will he stay there, I do not know. but I am verry happy that you are doing a book on Willie, I mean a book of Willie's poems, which is the same thing.

A lot of these guys come off the road with a chip on-the-shoulder I know it all bit. I've made the road and I know that there's not that much to learn out there. it's death and a drag and hot and cold weather and not feeling so good, but nobody comes in with a new concept of human values. I didn't. Willie doesn't pretend to. he drinks his beer and scratches himself. and not saying it, he says it more than ever. Willie's got a book coming. Willie is a miracle in a time of very little miracles. when the damn thing comes out bill me for a copy, and feel that we will both collect.

-- Buk
Los Angeles, Aug 12, 1967

Printed in Cockroach Hotel by The Willie, Published by Black Rabbit Press 1968. Transcribed by me. Apologies to Willie and Tom if I made any typos...

I dont know if this is of any interest but I am launching a website of very short fiction. It's almost ready to go. WWW.jafw.co.uk. You may get some interest from murderslim.com for books and maybe try their lit zine for stories or articles, the savage kick. Have you tried beat scene or 3am? Good luck.

Thanks for the info Zed. That's what I'm looking for, someone to send the mss too, even if the reply amounts to Beat it Creep!

Oh, is that it? Is that what's happened?

Or maybe this is Woodstock run with the non-utopian, Altamontian idea that you have to kill some of the more ignorant hippies to make the groovy scene bearable for the stinking masses.

If you'd prefer, I can get the ghost of Wavy Gravy to run this shithole. Good luck with him. Hope you like granola and dancing in the rain.

Oh, is that it? Is that what's happened?

Or maybe this is Woodstock run with the non-utopian, Altamontian idea that you have to kill some of the more ignorant hippies to make the groovy scene bearable for the stinking masses.

If you'd prefer, I can get the ghost of Wavy Gravy to run this shithole. Good luck with him. Hope you like granola and dancing in the rain.

i'm kidding! i'm kidding! (sound of feet running away)

can't I like killing hippies and dancing naked in the rain while eating granola?

do I have to choose? if I do, then maybe this world isn't meant for me.

of course, killing the hippies for their granola and for biting my rad naked rain dance moves is always an option. and, I believe, justified.

All those hippies are killing themselves with this naked rain-dancing. With the swine-flu spreading nobody has to raise his ass off the chair anymore.

Just relax and keep looking for world peace.

In yonder years past there use to be this guy in the States that would appear at major sporting events wearing a rainbow afro and became somewhat of a celebrity in the process. If the words of Willie never find a publisher he just might find his celebrity in donning the broc wig for ESPN.

Aside from mjp, who appears to roam the forums to pick people off as if his keyboard were a Glock, everyone else seems to be having a good stream of consciousness time. I'd have to agree with what d gray was getting at though. Seems more of an Ellroy good time than Bukowski.

Anyway, thanks to the few who actually responded to my query. Hoochmonkey9, I'll check out that forum. Thanks for bringing it all back. Your summarizing "ok" cracked me up.

BTW: That's a bunch of Dutch kale on my head. I mean, if you came across something like that sitting on ice, wouldn't you?

Will Hageman, welcome back to the forum. Everything is going to be okay and everyone is wonderful, in their own way.

Did you grow the Dutch kale?

Hi Willtoobroke! Welcome to the forum.
Couldn't resist!
images.jpeg

Why, thank you, Gerard K H Love, for the reassurance. But watch out you don't get slaughtered for harboring hippie sentiments. So maybe I overreacted to mjp's idiosyncratic code for what he really meant, which, given that "everyone is wonderful, in their own way," was "peace and love, brothers and sisters, pass the granola for I love it so, ain't life grand, so forth".

Black Swan that's a ripper. You know I used to look like John Lennon. Or was it David Bowie? Alfred E. Newman? Anyway, that feller's hotter than the grumpy motherfucker under the kale.

Found the kale at a local market. They hadn't broken it into broccoli-sized pieces yet. Cooked it up with great expectations, but it was tougher than Tea Partyer's pea-sized heart.

maybe I overreacted to mjp's idiosyncratic code for what he really meant...
Apology accepted.

For what it's worth, I haven't said what I really think of you. It seems like you want to hear it though. You are a bit obsessed. At the moment you feel a sort of hollow triumph, like you've almost put evil in its place. But you can't quite let it go. You want more. I can feel the animosity crackling off of your aura, maaaaan. But you need some genuine ugly resistance or conflict in order to validate your hatred. I can't give it to you. Sorry.

I guess I just assumed he was dead. Seemed like a safe bet.

The "ghost of," meaning the Woodstock Wavy Gravy, I suppose. Not the 2011 Wavy Gravy with a tie-dyed shirt and a walker.

For what it's worth, I haven't said what I really think of you. It seems like you want to hear it though. You are a bit obsessed. At the moment you feel a sort of hollow triumph, like you've almost put evil in its place. But you can't quite let it go. You want more. I can feel the animosity crackling off of your aura, maaaaan. But you need some genuine ugly resistance or conflict in order to validate your hatred. I can't give it to you. Sorry.

Apology accepted.

People on the receiving end of random psychopathic bullying tend to get obsessed. Maybe you don't know that as you appear to be a sheltered person with little life experience. How in hell did you get to be a staff member on a site dedicated to Charles Bukowski? Kinda scary. Shouldn't you be verbally assassinating folks for Sarah Palin or Glenn Beck? Better yet, Rush Limbaugh? Anyway, mjp, I'm through here. Off you go to new prey on other forums for a little of that ego-enhancing menace you do so well.

How in hell did you get to be a staff member on a site dedicated to Charles Bukowski?
The job was listed in the newspaper and I applied for it, like anybody else.

When Sarah Palin is president we will finally be able to round up all the communists like you and send you off to concentration camps in upstate New York where you can engage in your homosexuality and veganism far away from decent, moral people.

Wow.

More psychopathic bullying.

It's like Vietnam in here, the brutality, the horror. I've never seen such despicable behavior. It's like Lord of the Flies, only for really old people.

willie - should probably let you know before you put your foot in your mouth that the people who run this site put out a call a couple years ago for bukowski flash fiction (meaning 'write a story that channels the essense of bukowski's best work' in under 7 sentences, or something like that). if you search through the forum you'll find the thread. the people whose stuff got accepted (hank solo got 'top prize,' then hoochmonkey9 got the silver, and mjp with an 'honorable mention') got the privilege to work as staff members on the site. so you might not like mjp right off the bat, but the people who run the site - who i think we can all agree know the kind of writing that bukowski would have liked - saw something in mjp that they thought was valuable, so the rest of us kind of went along with it. yeah he power trips sometimes as a result (especially for someone who only got 'honorable mention'), but sometimes you just have to accept the exceptionally talented for who they are. we'd have done the same with buk, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back