looking for good reviews of "ham on rye" and "factotum" (1 Viewer)

hi there!
really amazing forum you got here... a lot of good stuff

i'm currently doing some work for a sort of exam and i have to prepare some pages about a few buk novels. i don't have to write them myself, although i would love to [but i ain't got enough time for that].
after a bit of googling, i couldn't find any long review or detailed description of great value concerning "ham on rye" and "factotum".

i would be delighted if you could point me to some good reviews/synopses of these novels and possibly an analysis of the style in which his poems are written.

thank you, :)

pulpfiction

what fun would there be in that? If you cannot find it by searching this forum, then it may not exist. Also try amazon.com, but you should hope that your professor is not a closet Buk fan or you will get busted.

The books are well worth the read.

Bill

man, i read the books and i love them! and like i said before, i could write the summaries, but i don't even HAVE to! it's allowed to copy them from elsewhere :)

btw: do you really think i would have made me a buk avatar if i hadn't even read his novels? :D

man, i read the books and i love them! and like i said before, i could write the summaries, but i don't even HAVE to! it's allowed to copy them from elsewhere :)

btw: do you really think i would have made me a buk avatar if i hadn't even read his novels? :D

it has happend before...

Yeah, check out the reviews at amazon.com. That is the only other place that I can think of.

Bill

thx for the myspace blog! the review is not bad, but i think henrychinaski has got something wrong in there:

The early chapters of this book are centered around family rides in the Model-T Ford through the countryside of Germany. One particular scene which really stood out to me, involves Henry's father, a tall german soldier, 'all ears' as Bukowski stated, picking oranges in a farmers orange grove.

in my humble opinion the whole scene happens in the usa, when they already lived in LA. how else could they have been visited by bukowski's grandmother who came "from Pasadena to Los Angeles"?
btw there are no orange groves in germany :) (it's way too cold there)

thx for the myspace blog! the review is not bad, but i think henrychinaski has got something wrong in there:

in my humble opinion the whole scene happens in the usa, when they already lived in LA. how else could they have been visited by bukowski's grandmother who came "from Pasadena to Los Angeles"?
btw there are no orange groves in germany :) (it's way too cold there)

The scene was in an orchard in LA...

Oh. You thought that Chinaski wrote that it all happened in Germany.

And, you are correct. He did write that.

Hey! Chinaski! Wut's up with that?

hi there!
really amazing forum you got here... a lot of good stuff

i'm currently doing some work for a sort of exam and i have to prepare some pages about a few buk novels. i don't have to write them myself, although i would love to [but i ain't got enough time for that].

You don't have time to write but you do have time to comment on a forum.
Seems like you mean I don't have the incilnation to think so I would rather steal or suck from someone elses teet (or insert other body part)-write the freaking paper-make a few well intended mistakes (like Chinaski)_ at least they will be yours-just like your asshole it may stink but you'll own it-trust me you will feel much better....oh yeah nice avatar wonder how many paragraphs were sacrificed in the creation

do you write that tiresome litany in every thread where someone is asking for help?
for your information, 2,65 paragraphs (approx. 1210 letters) were sacrificed in my quest of a suitable buk pic. ;)

but nevermind....

do you write that tiresome litany in every thread where someone is asking for help?
Take the chip off your shoulder, kid.

A lot of people come in here looking for someone to do their research for them, or write something for them, then they disappear, and it gets tiresome. If you are still here in a year posting and participating, then you will be one of the very, very few exceptions to that rule.

With that in mind, I think your reception was even-tempered and helpful, so don't blow it by being an asshole.

okay, okay :-) i already moderated my reply ;)
i can't promise you i'll be posting for years (i don't do that on any bb) but it's nice to see that there are still forums out there (like this one right here) that have kind of a...family character.
so sorry if i sounded ungrateful, but i didn't really feel like getting lectured :) at the time....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back