love is a piece of paper.... (1 Viewer)

does anyone have "love is a piece of paper torn to bits" to post on here? i'd be more than happy to buy a copy of a book containing it (flower, fist and bestial wail or it catches my heart in its hands), but i'm working on a school project and am on a limited schedule. none of the bookstores around me have it.

if anyone could post it, that'd be awesome! i can't find it anywhere on the internet.

I think that database link needs to be the size of a loaf of bread or something...

Love Is a Piece of Paper Torn to Bits
The Roominghouse Madrigals - pg. 55 - 1988

oh man, that's quite pricey. well the problem is that even if i buy a copy of any of the books off of the internet i won't get it in time to do my project. all i'm looking for really is a copy of the poem. thanks!

Hi,
Someone will have it and post it, I would think. Have you searched google? It is possible that it is floating out there somewhere already.

I think that database link needs to be the size of a loaf of bread or something...
mjp,
Even so, people like me would still miss it!
Bill

Love Is A Piece Of Paper Torn To Bits

all the beers was poisoned and the capt. went down
and the mate and the cook
and we had nobody to grab sail
and the N. wester ripped the sheets like toenails
and we pitched like crazy
the hull tearing its sides
and all the time in the corner
some punk had a drunken slut (my wife)
and was pumping away
like nothing was happening
and the cat kept looking at me
and crawling in the pantry
amongst the clanking dishes
with flowers and vines painted on them
untill I couldn't stand it anymore
and took the thing
and heaved it
over
the side.

Last edited by a moderator:
un-fortunately you're right: goes for me too!
I think about myself using it first only short time ago, but - considering I knew your site for years - it's so goddam POOR of me, not really having used it ALL the time!

But NOW, times will change!
The world will Not look the same in only one year!
(for none of us, I tellya!)

Even so, people like me would still miss it!

un-fortunately you're right: goes for me too!
I think about myself using it first only short time ago, but - considering I knew your site for years - it's so goddam POOR of me, not really having used it ALL the time!
Ha - I was referring to the original poster, not you two.

Maybe it's time to shake things up a bit and make it more noticeable. Perhaps when the new database interface debuts. ;)

new database?

any idea when this new database is coming?
i know you cannot rush a masterpiece.....

and like animals,we wait......and wait..and...

go mjp go
do you need a grant to make you work faster...
or a grand? how can we help

The interface is just about ready, I was working on it last weekend as a matter of fact. What's more time consuming though is dumping the old data into the new database.

Warning! Geek content:
The old database is one big table full of sloppy, redundant data. The new design spreads the data across nine 18 different tables. So imagine breaking the 5,000+ entries in the old database into several smaller pieces and then dumping them into the new tables. And it can't be automated or done with a script, because I'm also trying to weed out duplicate or incorrect entries as I go along.

So, yeah. I'm back on the job, but it may still be a way off. What I will probably do is open it up to everyone in "beta" or "preview" mode when the interface is ready (but before all the data is in there). That way you can get a peek into how it works and what it can do.

Last edited:
if you want to send me an .mdb file (is it in access?) to test, i'll gladly do it to help out. my job entails working with an enormous database for most of the day, so i'm pretty good with that kind of stuff.

also, if i can help out with data entry by working in a copy that you can merge with the master, i'll volunteer for that too.

Thanks, but it's a MySQL database, and I'm not organized enough to part it out for assistance. ;)

It's going to be very anticlimactic when it debuts, I'm afraid, after all this waiting. Heh.

I'm on it, it's coming!

At this point are you adding new data? I know that a few weeks ago I sent some information on a couple issues of Prism International but after I hit 'send feedback' there wasn't even a perfunctory thanks done automatically by the feedback machine (for lack of a better term).

I've come across a couple stories and poems from NOLA Express that don't seem to be in the present database but I'd rather not have them zap into the internet ether. "The Cat in the Closet" and "Fountains of Rome" are the titles to the two stories. The poems are "the loner", "I THINK OF THE LITTLE MEN", and "A ROLLING POEM".

Maybe you already know about them or they are published under different titles in various books.

I didn't get that email, sorry.

I'm not adding anything new yet, but I have a backlog of things to add once everything is up and running. I will also have a form you can use to send new info to the db.

I've come across a couple stories and poems from NOLA Express that don't seem to be in the present database but I'd rather not have them zap into the internet ether. "The Cat in the Closet" and "Fountains of Rome" are the titles to the two stories. The poems are "the loner", "I THINK OF THE LITTLE MEN", and "A ROLLING POEM".
What's the volume/number/date of the NOLAs for these? If you still have them. I realize it's been a few minutes since your post.

"The Cat in the Closet" is from NOLA Express 51, March 20 - April 2, 1970.
"Fountains of Rome" ("excerpt from the forthcoming novel Post Office by Bukowski") is from NE 53, April 17 to 30, 1970.

As for the poems, The Loner is from NE 67, October 30 - November 12, 1970.
Don't know about the other two.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back