Lux Interior R.I.P. (1 Viewer)

We were supposed to play with the Cramps in NYC in 1982 but Lux and Ivy were having a fight and wouldn't speak to each other, so (as the story went, anyway) they canceled an entire East coast trip and didn't show up (they lived in Los Angeles at the time, I think). I always thought that was a great reason to blow off a bunch of gigs, which immediately made me a fan.

Come to think of it, we were supposed to play with James Chance (in Chicago) and Johnny Thunders (in Montreal) on that tour too, and neither of those gigs happened either. We had luck like that.

I'm saddened to hear this and it's very strange to me because for some reason I decided to make a cd of downloaded music of the Cramps last Sat and was reading interviews of him and such.

I live in Sacramento, now, and I found out not long ago that him & Ivy were originally from this town though I don't believe they played here.

I live in Sacramento, now, and I found out not long ago that him & Ivy were originally from this town though I don't believe they played here.
Looks like they played Sacramento a few times in the 90's:

90/06/21 The Crest, Sacramento, CA US + Flat Duo Jets + Buck Naked
94/12/07 Sac State University Hornet Gym/KWOD Xmas Show, Sacramento, CA US
95/01/23 Crest Theatre, Sacramento, CA US

From: http://www.carrollsweb.com/rockndog/folder/Gigs.htm

I watched the end of one of their shows at House of Blues Anaheim, CA. which is really Disneyland. I was waiting to pick up my daughter and her friend. It was a surprise to me that I liked them. I think the girls were about 20 years younger than the average member of the audience. Of course my little girl was right in the front. The fans were aslmost as entertaining than the Cramps.

Looks like they played Sacramento a few times in the 90's:

90/06/21 The Crest, Sacramento, CA US + Flat Duo Jets + Buck Naked
94/12/07 Sac State University Hornet Gym/KWOD Xmas Show, Sacramento, CA US
95/01/23 Crest Theatre, Sacramento, CA US

From: http://www.carrollsweb.com/rockndog/folder/Gigs.htm

I didn't live here then. I think I only saw them once, in Boston on a New Years Eve mid eighties.

Great band and hughly influential.

Who could replace this guy besides Iggy Pop?

That's kind of like asking who could replace Stiv Bators in the Dead Boys. Lux and Stiv seemed to be doing Iggy "tributes" much of the time. Of course they both got their start when the residual stink of the Stooges was still fresh in the air, so that's understandable.

We'll have to start a different topic: Who is the obvious influence? We can start with that kid from Green Day who was (is still?) doing a Joe Strummer imitation. But of course with some of them we'll have to go back further...

Circus/calliope music -> Morrison -> Iggy -> Lux, Bators, et al

Okay, okay, that's (kind of) a joke, no need for you Doors fans to revolt.

Circus/calliope music -> Morrison -> Iggy -> Lux, Bators, et al

Okay, okay, that's (kind of) a joke, no need for you Doors fans to revolt.

valid point. sounds like circus music. and I like the Doors.

and you could stretch the Morrison/Iggy line all the way to Marilyn Manson.

I would put Alice Cooper as Marilyn Manson's biggest influence. With, maybe, GWAR in between. ;)

No, I do not like the Doors. Their music is not rock and roll, it's circus music, and clowns are kind of scary, so, you do the math. Kudos to Manzarek for eliminating the bass player from the pop music combo formula, but aside from that, I find them to be rather sleepy. Both as performers and as a form of home entertainment. But that's just me. And it has nothing to do with the fact that Morrison died before returning my Erector Set, which he claimed to be only "borrowing for a few days." Yeah, right. You try getting an Erector Set from a dead pop star's estate. The legal fees are outrageous. Yeah, I was 11 years old at the time, so what? Is that too old to cherish an Erector set? God, I hope I'm never as jaded as you!

I would put Alice Cooper as Marilyn Manson's biggest influence. With, maybe, GWAR in between. ;)

agreed, but although they were more or less contemporaries (the Doors had a bit of a head start) there is some Morrison and Iggy in Cooper. but point taken. I'm not disagreeing, just agreeing with asterisks. heh.

Yeah, Alice Cooper and the Stooges actually came up at the same time in the same place (Detroit - where Cooper was born), and the two bands did a lot of shows together. But you're right, Cooper started out doing some really un-rock and roll stuff - a lot of meandering 1960's 15-minute-song "atmospheric" noise (those first two albums on Zappa's label give a good dose of it). Then when they relocated to Detroit they got all rocked up doing shows with the Stooges, MC5 and that lot, and the rock version of the Alice Cooper band was born.

And of course Iggy idolized Morrison, but he channeled that through something so much more base, spastic and frankly Midwestern, that any trace of Morrison imitation came out upside down and inside out. Later, after he took a bath and hooked up with Bowie I thought the Morrison influence was more obvious.

Did Bowie idolize Morrison?

Bowie did a version of Alabama Song. The B-side was Space Oddity. Released 2/15/80. Genre: Cabaret, Opera. Length: 3:51. RCA Records.

So much for: Rise and Fall of the City of Mahaganny.

David Bowie was a folkie with an acoustic guitar and a denim outfit topped off by a matching floppy hat until he saw the New York Dolls. Everything he became associated with in the "groundbreaking" Ziggy part of his early career was lifted directly from them and a handful of other New York and Los Angeles groups.

Bowie is a sponge, like David Byrne or Paul Simon. They take whatever they hear around them and put out their own interpretation of it. Not to denigrate any of them, they've all written good songs, but there's nothing new about anything any of them has ever done. Ha, in fact, when you think about it, all three of them started out playing folk music.

I'm not saying that music always has to be "new" and "original," that's impossible (and it would probably drive us all insane), but since we're tracing roots...

Bowie is the ultimate sponge. luckily he knew how to squeeze himself the right way.

no, I'm sure what that means either.

Damn, I dont know HOW I missed them at that Ritz show in 89. I was living right down the street that year and was usually in that rickety club once a week for one show or another (Ramones again?...okay). I must have been in some kind of haze that night. Sigh.

No I haven't. But there you go - the last 30 years of his career has been a mash of genres. ;)

Simon & Garfunkel.

What was that argument over "Bridge" related to? Simon wrote it; Garfunkel sang it; and they both didn't share the tye-stick? Crazy for friends of fame to argue like that. Montauk Point is sighing right now. And not really giving a shit....last I heard, from the waves breaking next to Warhol's old mansion.

Pax

My mom told me years ago, that the 2 boys mothers did NOT get along. Even some cases of the 2 women fighting in public. Maybe not the reason for the breakup, but it certainly couldn't of been easy.CRB:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back