• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Manuscripts, again, ebay (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
Okay, here again I do not understand the way things are selling on ebay.

This vintage 70's carbon copy manuscript sold for $750:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7009842921&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

While this 1990 Xeroxed manuscript sold for $250 more!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7009841537&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Now call me crazy, but I'd much rather have a carbon copy pulled out of Bukowski's Olympia Standard on Carlton Way than a Xerox copy of a 1990 poem. But what do I know.

I'm not trying to insult the buyer of the Xerox - in fact, I've sold manuscripts to him - but it just seems weird to me. The values are upside-down.

The carbons were in Bukowski's typewriter. They have a completely different feel than a Xerox. And as a piece of history, to me anyway, are much more valuable.

By xerox, do you mean a Xerox copy of the original?????

If that's the case, then I could be nearly millionaire!!!! I'm sitting on 4000-5000 Xerox copies, most of them of VERY rare items, including unpublished poems, unpublished introductions, reviews and uncollected stuff.

I might think about this once I'm done with the diss. Now I need all this stuff, but who knows in a 2-3 year time?

Bukowski abandoned carbon paper and started Xeroxing his manuscripts for submission in 1980. He still signed and dated them by hand, so they have signatures. But still, to me, the carbons are much more desirable. They came from his typewriter.

hank solo said:
Yes, its a photocopy of a typed poem.

That's some translation; "Looks mad within a framework."

I saw someone selling copies on the U.S. eBay site a while back. The auctions stated they were copies, but in a kind of roundabout and not-very-obvious way. Seemed deceptive to me. Still does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back