Matt Dillon on Bukowski, from Coming Soon (1 Viewer)

"...the white-haired guy who wrote 'Notes of a Dirty Old Man.' 'Factotum' chronicles those years when he was unpublished, when he was with that woman Jane Bukowski..."

Wow, we should have a contest to see who can find the most inaccuracies in one sentence. ;)

Though I wouldn't expect Dillon to be an expert or even an aficionado. He's an actor doing a job, which is fine.

"...the white-haired guy who wrote 'Notes of a Dirty Old Man.' 'Factotum' chronicles those years when he was unpublished, when he was with that woman Jane Bukowski..."

Wow, we should have a contest to see who can find the most inaccuracies in one sentence. ;)

Though I wouldn't expect Dillon to be an expert or even an aficionado. He's an actor doing a job, which is fine.

And that, after they start out with: "If you ever want to know anything about author-poet Charles Bukowksi, just ask actor Matt Dillon, who spent a lot of time learning about Bukowski while preparing to play the role of Henry Chinaski in the movie version of Bukowski's second novel Factotum."

Apparently, not enough time (but I usually like him in his choice of roles).

SD

thanks! i need to check out that video.
it would be sexy if matt dillon read bukowski or had read him before they offered him the role. but i doubt it.
actors don't seem like very well-read people.

Does anyone else here think that matt dillon sucked balls at being henry chinaski? He just didn't fit.

I thought he did fine, but I have to agree with the fact that he didn't have the rough scarred face we would expect. There are plenty of people who agree with you. Perhaps.

I too think he did fine, but will there ever be an actor to play Chinaski who everybody likes?

. . .will there ever be an actor to play Chinaski who everybody likes?

Actors who look like bukowski don't get acting jobs.
They go to work in the Post Office, Horse Tracks, etc.

2967656493_3655ea685b.png

Years ago, I did alot of self-study in the Occult/Metaphysical/'New Age' areas. In terms of both spirituality and health, I read from several sources, that teenage acne is often caused by repression. This is why,(as they explain it),that many young people's acne clears when they leave home. Much of the 'closed off', or 'hidden feelings' are finally released upon leaving for college, the military,marriage, etc...
I always wondered sbout this because my 3 siblings all had much worse acne than I ever did. My mother had severe problems as a youth with it as well.
Anyway, I was somewhat surprised to read, in the Howard Sounes Bio of Bukowski,- this quote- " The poisoned life had finally exploded out of me. There they were- all the withheld screams-spouting out in another form."
He KNEW. CRB:)

I thought he did fine, but I have to agree with the fact that he didn't have the rough scarred face we would expect. There are plenty of people who agree with you. Perhaps.

Yeah you are right. To me, matt dillon just seemed....like....he needed to care less in order to be chinaski. And he is too good looking of an actor to be Chinaski, does anyone imagine chinaski as a good looking guy? Not me.

i thought his performance was forced. it seemed he was trying too hard to be the Bukowski character, rather than interpreting his own character for Chinaski. all in all, i didn't enjoy the film. i think it should've taken place in the 1940s, i didn't like Lily Taylor as the girlfriend (can't remember the name), and i didn't like the pace of the script. there were a few really good moments, and normally i really like Dillon the actor, but not this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back