Matt Dillon on the Henry Rollins show (1 Viewer)

Yeah, interesting. Especially that Rollins said a lot of complimentary things about Bukowski, but I've read where he's talked some shit too ("Bukowski was fun. You know, for a couple of summers when you're in your early 20s, I think it's really great reading. I think that to worship him in your 30s is to kind of lose the plot.").

So I guess he's fickle. ;)

Last edited:
Ha!

When I read something like that Rollins quote I know it was written or said by someone who barely scratched the surface, and thinks Bukowski is only drink/whore/horse/puke.

But then again, he said some very complimentary things during the Dillon interview, so one of his opposed opinions would seem to be bullshit.

I suspect for all his bravado and brash image, Rollins is a celebrity ass kisser like everyone else on television. Nodding and smiling so as not to upset anyone.

I suspect for all his bravado and brash image, Rollins is a celebrity ass kisser like everyone else on television. Nodding and smiling so as not to upset anyone.

Rollins: Bukowski was fun. You know, for a couple of summers when you're in your early 20s, I think it?s really great reading. I think that to worship him in your 30s is to kind of lose the plot."

Does it really matter if Rollins thought this? Why would Rollins become any more or less authentic for making such a statement...why do you feel you have to 'defend' Bukowski as though you where his Mother...

For many readers Bukowski was a juvenile drunk throughout his life with an immature personality and an inability to take control of his life, for other readers he is clearly marketed for the 'disaffected youth/adult/anyone' - a kind of 'last rebel' before rebellion became a big fat MTV cliche.

Honestly! You people: you love this guy so much you worship him. He was a fat drunke man with a spirit that size of the world and a sincerity that shone and darkened in its turn.

Why do people always claim that if you dislike Bukowski you somehow 'missed something'? I am guilty of thinking like this but it is a pretty farcical view...as though Bukowski alone existed and the rest of the world was some vague rumour...

*I must vent*

Hi Olaf,
First: You claim that to like Buk's writing is to "worship" him. I don't worship ANYONE.
Second: Because Rollins does not like reading him anymore, he expects that there is something immature about anyone else that DOES read him.

The problem is that Rollins is arrogant. His opinions are the only opinions. I think that even die-hard Rollins fans will acknowledge that the is pompous.

And you are talking to a guy that has been listening to Rollins since he was called "Henry Garfield".

I have no problem with most people not liking Bukowski's writing. That is not the problem. I just don't like to be insulted for still reading it. Insulting people that do like ones writing as immature is rude and wrong. Would someone say the same about Selby? To read his books once tyou are out of your teens is to miss the point? It is just an ignorant and indefenceable comment.

Oh, and Olaf; I'm not defending Bukowski like I'm his mother. Im defending MYSELF and YOU. He called you and me immature for reading Bukowski (Unless you are younger than 30. Of course, his Rollins shows have degenarated to stories of him jerking off in sleeping womens' hair....

Maybe it is immature to read Bukowski after 30? Maybe not?
I read it. I am also apt to admit to being quite immature in certain senses.

I don't think you worship Bukowski because you read him. Nor do I because I read him. I think people jumping to his defence all the time and claiming that any critic simply 'doesn't get it' is highly ridiculous.

I have never read Rollins. Never will.

O, I'm just venting...perhaps I am playing Devils Avocado...I guess I like to keep Bukowski a big fat human...he is BEST that way...perhaps I shouldn't have said a thing...I was letting off steam...

Why would Rollins become any more or less authentic for making such a statement...
I do not think Rollins is less authentic because of any statements he makes, but for the statement his celebrity ass kissing makes.

It makes the statement; here is a disingenuous, inauthentic, gutless shill.

Watch Rollins rant and rave and flip the bird to the man! What a brave and noble soul! Yet when the man, or anyone promoting a product or film or record, is sitting on the couch across from him, he puts that finger away and bends right over to accommodate the corporate machine he would have you believe he opposes.

That kind of wishy-washy, half-assed backing away from what you claim are your ideals is sadly common, and when people do it, it is difficult not to lose all respect for them.

I don't care if Rollins likes Bukowski. His opinion is meaningless. I was pointing out that he is clueless about Bukowski's work. That "early 20s" statement proves it.

Point taken.

(I guess as a Bukowski reader I have become uber-obssessed with avoiding loving him to much...seeing him above reproach...dismissal...I am many an unknown man lived as Bukowski did. But he was rare...as rare a good steak)

Hi Olaf,
Bukowski was human, of course. I think that most people on this list know that had we met Bukowski, he may have TOLERATED us, but that is probably the extent. More that likely, he would have lashed out at the intrusion. Rekrab talks about something this in his book, "Charles Bukowski spit in my face."

I have always felt that it is best to NOT ever meet those that you admire. It is better to say that they are a "great writer" than to say they are a "Great Writer, but they assaulted me and threatened my family if I ever came near them again."

I really like Buk's writing (sometimes I don't particularly like a book, or poem), I know that he was not the perfect human. I just hate people, especially with very dubious credits (like Rollins) calling me immature for reading him (i'm 35 years old), when his writing can be best described as mastrubation humor. If you have ever heard a Rollins Spoken word event, their is a bit of poetry with a LOT of Rollins talking about himself.

All best,

Bill

If you have ever heard a Rollins Spoken word event, their is a bit of poetry with a LOT of Rollins talking about himself.

Isn't this precisely what Bukowski does? i.e. uses himself as the main focus for his writing. I would say so...of courseI make no comparison with Rollins and Buk at this stage...

The pot calling the kettle black?

'I am not with them but I am of them'

HI,
True, except telling poems that are based on your life is much different from spending an hour talking about touring with black flag. Completey unscripted prose. It is all just talking off of the top of his head with no script, and no forethought.

Whereas, some poets may engage the audience inbetween the poems, the poems are the reason that they are there, not the banter that has become the guts of the show with anything scripted a minor place.

If you get a chance to borrow one of the "Spoken Word" shows, it will bear out that what I'm saying is correct.

My real issue is not with Rollins, it is with the MTV generation corporate shills that sold the lie that "spoken word" and poetry are the same thing. They are not any more alike than RAP and poetry. Sure some rap is very poetic, but surely they are not the same.

I would be horrified to go to a "poetry reading" only to have it be a guy, just standing up there, talking about his life, making it up as he goes.

But then, rhyming poetry usually makes my skin crawl....

I'm a tough person to please, I think!

Bill

telling poems that are based on your life is much different from spending an hour talking about touring with black flag.

Is it?

It is all just talking off of the top of his head with no script, and no forethought.

This is almost a definition of Bukowski manner. This is the true beauty of Bukowski.

It is all just talking off of the top of his head with no script, and no forethought.

This is almost a definition of Bukowski manner. This is the true beauty of Bukowski.
Isn't that one of the myths we dispelled? ;)

With the exception of The Bukowski Tapes (which Dillon said were instrumental in him getting a handle on how to portray "Chinaski"), much of what Bukowski wrote and said was crafted and calculated to build the persona he developed.

That is why the scene in Born Into This where he is barely able to finish reading a poem because he is crying surprises so many people. That is not part of the persona he worked so hard to present.

But that's where it gets complicated, you see? We are here saying there is more to the writer, yet the writer himself played off his sensitive, insightful, hard-working side and played up the tough-guy boozer side, so I suppose you really can't blame people for thinking that's all there is to him.

You also have to remember that Henry Rollins cannot stand drunks. I imagine all the talk of being drunk, hungover, etc... probably gets old to him. On the other hand, Bukowski wrote other about other subjects than horses, drinking and fighting. He was, after all, writing about the things he knew. His life.

Some of Rollins' books are a good read. I was a fan of black flag from way back, so I guess I have a soft spot for him. He's just paying his bills like everyone else.

Bukowski wrote and said was crafted and calculated to build the persona he developed.

Of course he did and part of his craft and calculation was in simplicity and talking off of the top of his head manner...perhaps you say this is merely method? But that is the point it was it is that is not to say Bukowskis style was lesser...it merely establishes what exactly he was doing.

I guess the anti-poet anti-literature anti-media anti-man card...just seems a bit stale at times. The persona and the man forever blurring and fading...

We have the words
and that is enough

Some of Rollins' books are a good read. I was a fan of black flag from way back, so I guess I have a soft spot for him. He's just paying his bills like everyone else.
I wouldn't argue with that, everyone has to pay the bills.

But --- when you set yourself up as an iconoclast, you have to walk it like you talk it, or you lose credibility.

Anyway, I've spent more time tying about Henry Rollins in the last couple days than I've spent thinking about him in my entire life, so it's time to stop.

Though I do admire Henry I'm not surprised that he can't totally relate to Bukowski, Henry being sober and everything, his favorite is Selby, not a bad choice.

It's funny but I feel about Rollins what he feels about Bukowski. I enjoyed Rollins a lot more when I was younger, but I enjoy Bukowski just as much, if not more, now.

funny... I was a Rollins fan in my 20's, but lost interest as I hit 30... Maybe he was talking about himself....
Bill, well said and funny...
I remember reading a few books of Rollins in my '20's, his poetry was pretty WEAK. If it was weak then, it probably doesn't improve with this cynical age! Wish I saw that Dillon interview, curious to see/hear what he had to say... I think you agreed with me (Bill) Factotum was pretty disappointing, very disjointed, goes nowhere rather slowly.

the fangirl chimes in:

henry rollins can't write for shit. his writing generally reminds me of the emotional letters i received from my DungeonMaster boyfriends back in high school ~ you know, the dark angry guy with the samurai swords in the basement of his mom's suburban home. Those guys were alone in the wasteland too, but they weren't as charismatic or cute. But, the one thing that stands out in his writing and spoken word is that it's so hard to have this insane set of morals - and when he tries to live this idealized, lonely, honest life, he usually fails and winds up in public making an ass of himself with hollywood people. But he is inspiring - as a loud, fearless, passionate fellow, and that's why i like him. I dont understand why his spoken word isn't called a comedy show ~ because that's really all it is. Reading his blog, watching his shows, going to see him at the VIC, I think it's obvious that he's accepted his role as "entertainer".

His comment about buk and 20-somethings just sounds flippant and 'indie', the kind of crap Hairdoos wax poetic about in wicker park and forget about 30 minutes later.

I think Rollins seems to spend a lot of time in his loud, tough guy persona talking about how "punk" he is, which for me feels really contrived. I think that's why I've never connected with him, because his whole shtick really feels like a (bad) ongoing stage performance. That's not to say that I don't fall for shticks now and then, I just can't stand it when it feels so phony.

On the other hand, I did live in Wicker Park for several years, so stop me if I'm waxing poetic...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back