Me and Hank share a birthday, except he was 1920 and I was 2001. (1 Viewer)

So I discovered Bukowski through a song by Mac Miller, I'm a big fan of his music. Mac took a small audio clip of Hank talking and put it in a song. I got interested in this guy so I looked him up and watched some interviews and then I saw a documentary about the guy and I fell in love instantly. Next thing I knew I was at a Half-Price Books buying Post Office and Tales of Ordinary Madness.

I read Ham on Rye on some PDF I found online, I love it so much.
I related to almost everything about Ham on Rye, being the outcast in school, the abusive father, the drinking. Although, I had more luck with women than he did growing up, I found myself a good blonde whore at the end of high school. She was a good lay. I loved the way Ham on Rye ended, I've never read a book that closes like that.

Now that I'm about to be twenty-two I really want to know more about how Bukowski was in his twenties.
It's hard to imagine that old grizzly bear was ever fresh and young as me, comparatively. He had a tough life, I'm glad it paid off for him in the end, and I wonder how he'd fare if he grew up today. I miss this man I never met. He wrote some good fucking shit.

Rest easy Buk.

Last edited:
[...] He had a tough life, I'm glad it paid off for him in the end, and I wonder how he'd fare if he grew up today. [...]

I've been thinking about this for a couple days. Could a guy grow up today, and end up with the same insights and values that Bukowski had? I'm not sure he could. Kids are raised differently now than when he was young. Role models are different. Societal standards are different. I'm not sure it could happen again. But then again, maybe it could. You get him, and you're young, so maybe. Good question, and welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back