MUSIC - "I weep for the future"... (1 Viewer)

Zappa said writing about music is like dancing about architecture.

I was all set to bust your balls on that citation by pointing out that actor/comedian/musician Martin Mull was the source of that quote. However, according to THIS it could have been anyone from Elvis Costello to Clara Schuman. Great quote, nonetheless.

Looking at the problem of uninspired, repetitive, clone musicians still makes me think about the nature of the audience - or at least the audience's level of expectation. Doesn't the marketplace only deliver what we demand ? More to the point, why did the booker of SNL and the manager of (insert name of shit band here and it may as well be Bang Camaro) decide that we would be entertained by a near-lampoon of Motorhead ? Is it even reasonable to expect that a national TV show is capable of breaking someone fresh ? Seems that it boils down to most people being satisfied with what has the appearance of being new but is really only old wine in new bottles.

I know the difference between mass appeal and artistic individuality. What I don't get is why a medium of mass/commercial/national appeal such as television doesn't try to compete with pitchforkmedia and the like. Competition makes everyone stronger and the audience benefits. Right ? Or maybe I'm confusing toothpaste with music....

I was all set to bust your balls on that citation by pointing out that actor/comedian/musician Martin Mull was the source of that quote. However, according to THIS it could have been anyone from Elvis Costello to Clara Schuman.
I'm pretty sure it isn't martin Mull or Frank Zappa, but I've never been able to find the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back