My boss is paying me to say Hi (1 Viewer)

Greetings from New Zealand, the arsehole of the world.

Someone recommended Buk to me last year. Several months later I finally got around to reading some. I checked out Betting on the Muse, which I devoured in the same fashion my friend devours whole turkeys & port from a plastic cup. Now plowing through The Most Beautiful Woman in Town. From the first poem I read I knew this writer was going to mean something to me. It's my new obsession, and I've had a lot of obsessions. So naturally, finding this forum was nifty. Never have I seen such a condensation of Dionysian misfits in once place. It's good.

I've been sober for nearly a year. I don't use the term recovering alcoholic because I don't know what it means, I simply don't drink anymore.. at the moment. I used to. I used to drink a bit. Reading Buk makes me want to start drinking again. Most of it all it makes me wonder why I stopped drinking. I also have manic-depression and suffer from recurrent bouts of suicidal ideation with some ill-planned attempts & conversely manic reckless impulsiveness, which is often accompanied by sexual promiscuity (later regretted, especially if they were ugly or old) - partly why I stopped drinking - and an agitated temper... so I like Buk.

Buk makes me want to write. I see that is a common theme round here. So I don't write, because he said 'Don't try' & I listened. It keeps reminding me of some lines from another poet, Leonard Cohen:

and all the lousy little poets
coming round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson
and the white man dancin'.

cheers,

[...] I've been sober for nearly a year. I don't use the term recovering alcoholic [...]
I know several serious Bukowski-nuts, who don't drink anymore (due to different reasons). Some of them are here.

[...] Reading Buk makes me want to start drinking again. Most of it all it makes me wonder why I stopped drinking. [...]
That's not unusual. Some people give in and start again. I know some, who are happy with this and some who aren't. And I still know some, who didn't start again even though they Love Bukowski a great lot and read him regularily.

[...] Buk makes me want to write. I see that is a common theme round here. So I don't write, [...]

Yep. He makes a great bunch of people want to write. I too am/was one of them.

There's nothing wrong in writing (because you feel inspired by Buk or whatever reason). Just don't think it's as easy as writing a diary or your work could compete with Bukowski even in his worst nights.
But writing is fine.
It helps. It's a great way! Do it!
Do Not write to get published, but Do write 'as if' it would be read by other people than you. That'll improve your style.

Sorry for the sermon.

But then - Not sorry.

welcome.

I drink.

I like Leonard Cohen.

and now, apparently, I speak in declarative sentences. for this I blame you.

but seriously, welcome.

Welcome. My mother seems to think I drink too much because of reading Bukowski and listening to in her words "those long hair guys that are always screaming." Not sure exactly who she's referring to, she loves Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and bands like that, so who knows, maybe she's referring to the beatles.

But when thinking of drinking I leave you with this "everything seems to go wrong when I stop drinking" - Julian Casablancas.

Glad you like Buk, he became an immediate obsession for me too and hooch, I like Leonard Cohen too.

Welcome and why fatal? You must be a girl because men don't need to be drinking to end up in bed with a lady too ugly or old.
What's the deal with your boss is paying you to say Hi?

Remember the water spins backwards down under.

Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome and why fatal?
It's just a stupid expression. Sometimes we can be so obsessed with our muse that it nearly kills us. Or we can amuse ourselves to death. It's one of those catch-22s.

You must be a girl because men don't need to be drinking to end up in bed with a lady too ugly or old.
I'm a male, just a sissy. & was meaning in context of the bipolar. Normally I'm far too awkward to end up in bed with strange women, but when I'm up it just seems to happen.

What's the deal with your boss is paying you to say Hi?
I'm a slacker. He doesn't know. Well, maybe he does, but he hasn't said anything to let me know he knows.

Hey, I just made another $5. I will start telling people I'm a professional writer.

Welcome aboard, Fatal Muse! If you're into Bukowski you've come to the right place.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Zealand the arsehole of the world? Too much natural beauty for such a tag plus N.Z. gave birth to the Split Enz. Now, give the nose a dose of Terre Haute where I use to live near and you'll truly respect the word arsehole. Welcome, Fatal Muse. Don't be shy to post. If you truly like Buk this site will treat you right. Enjoy the explore. Love Cohen, also.

Welcome Fatal Muse,

if your boss is paying you to say hi, tell your boss that his investment might blow up in his face. :)

Summer now in New Zealand, isn't it?

New Zealand the arsehole of the world? Too much natural beauty for such a tag plus N.Z.

Yes, in all honesty it actually is quite beautiful. It was Mick Jagger who described the southern end of NZ as the arsehole of the world - but the Stones got pelted with rotten tomatoes there, so who could blame him.

I live in the north end of the country near another place that had a quaint description - Russell was the original capital and was referred to as the 'hell hole of the pacific' - infested with whalers, convicts, drunkards, gamblers, whores & angry natives. Buk might have enjoyed it there in the 1800s.

Summer now in New Zealand, isn't it?

Yes, it is. It's also my first summer without beer.

Non alcoholic beer tastes quite nice, especially with lime or lemon.
I quit drinking for 7 years (once...), and invented all sort of drinks with juice.
Even some of the non alcoholic wines can be enjoyable when everyone else is have a drink.

After those seven years, my drinking became quite manageable. It seems that I always quit before I get too drunk now.

I always thought Saudi Arabia and the Red Sea was the arsehole of the world. Check it out on a map.

Welcome!

I always thought Saudi Arabia and the Red Sea was the arsehole of the world.

I guess that rules out Antarctica, but that's fair since there's no beheading's or stoning's of gays and women who've been unfaithful to their husbands. Penguins are civilized people.
If the arsehole of the world is a big place, couldn't it make room for Iran?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Fatal Muse. Greetings from Aus.

I always thought when Buk said "Don't Try" he meant it like 'Don't try, just do it.' Don't try to be a writer, just be a writer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back