My retro "covers" for Bukowski books (1 Viewer)

In case you liked them, which would you prefer me to print?

• South of no North

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Burning in water...

• Women

• Total voters
Hello, I've been a member for a time now but I've never posted before. So hi everyone!

As most of people in here, Buk is one of my favorite writers, the way he used to write transports me completely to those years in LA, so I got kind of inspired to develop a series of covers bassed on Saul Bass' style. More of the books will be developed soon, feel free to comment, critique and use images as you wish.
I'm planning on woodprint one of these, maybe Hot Water Music. In case of printing I could send with no cost the chosen poster if you cover shipping expenses.

Also, if you really like them, press the blue button at the bottom of the page.

Complete Series: http://www.behance.net/gallery/Bukowskis/969159

My personal favorite:

Bukowski__Page_2.png

Yeah, you know, they're a'ight, as the kids say, but I don't get the point. The books already have covers. Many different covers in most cases. And as Hooch pointed out, you made yourself a big faux pas there.

well, that just it. they're fine, but what's the point?

that being said, I do like the Hot Water Music one.

very nice methinks.

i think they're better designs than some of those dated black sparrow covers.

Thanks for the comments,
If you read the description of the project you may understand they were not made to "faux pas" but to make a homage to both Bukowski and Bass.

And yeah, my bad on. Burning in water, I'll correct it shortly.

Thanks again for you critique

@mjp Yeah, I know all of the book have previous (and lots of them) covers, but hey, it is a personal project, I'm just sharing it with people I thought may find them interesting

This is good work, but I have a feeling I'm like most readers of Buk - I prefer the original covers, since they're linked to the original reading experience. It goes even further - I prefer the cover stock and paper of the Black Sparrow editions, as compared to the newer printings by Ecco. Even if a cover is a misfire - (like Dangling in the Tournefortia, in my opinion) I'll always prefer it because of its sense of time and place of the original read.

If you read the description of the project you may understand they were not made to "faux pas" but to make a homage...
You misunderstand, hombre.

A faux pas is like a mistake at a dinner party. Using the wrong fork or something. When you come in to the Bukowski dinner party here and show us a Burning in Water cover mock up that calls it a short story collection, that is a faux pas. It makes you look like you don't really know Bukowski's work, that you just want to show off your computer drawings. That's all. I still like some of them.

You should design a new cover for Catcher in the Rye now. For no reason.

i love the hot water music cover. i also like the hollywood cover. i dont like hot water music. its bland. the women cover is decent but doesnt really capture the book. its like the new edition cover. it makes the seem too noir, and sexy in the wrong way. the illustration on the original, the one that bukowski drew, was perfect and not just because bukowski drew it, but because the woman looks so haggard and sloppy and crazed but at the same time fiery and full of life.

Frankly, it would be cool if Ecco had held a contest to redesign the covers of the Buk books. I would rather that they kept the originals, but seing as they did change them, I would rather some of these designs over theirs.

Still, Barbara Martin's covers ARE the Bukowski's covers. Always...

Bill

i love the hot water music cover. i also like the hollywood cover. i dont like hot water music. its bland. the women cover is decent but doesnt really capture the book. its like the new edition cover. it makes the seem too noir, and sexy in the wrong way. the illustration on the original, the one that bukowski drew, was perfect and not just because bukowski drew it, but because the woman looks so haggard and sloppy and crazed but at the same time fiery and full of life.
Agreed, although not about Hot Water Music being bland. Love it. What I'm getting at is that the Ecco covers don't really match the feeling of the writing or the messages within them, especially in comparison to the originals. Sadly, my copies of Post Office and Women are the Ecco reissues and I bought them not knowing any better at the time. One day I hope to own a hardcover original of Women, but my paychecks go straight to my bills and booze and gas at this point in my life.
jpaez90, this little collection of yours is cool - in a weekend art project to keep yourself from going insane because there is no other idea floating through your mind sort of way - but I still wouldn't choose any of these over the originals. I'd say I like your version of Hollywood the best, and that the worst of the lot is Women.
An idea for your next remake - the New Testament ?

woops. i meant to say that i think burning in water is bland. i write quick and sloppy. i love. really love. almost horny for, the hot water music cover.

Sorry, but when I looked at "Hot Water Music", all I could think of was this:

the-man-with-the-golden-arm-1955-dvd-14072067.jpeg

Of course, that's just the movie geek part of my brain getting in the way.
I like your project though, and the fact that you're not here to hustle money from us.
Thanks for posting.

EDIT: [slapping forehead] I totally overlooked that your project was also an homage to Saul Bass. Big apologies on my part !

I liked them.
Even the 'Women'-cover, since Hank was a legman.
And aside from the mistakes in content, I like the design of 'Burning'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back