New footage? (1 Viewer)

Ponder

"So fuck Doubleday Doran"
RIP
Starts after 0 seconds.
Don't get exited, the footage only last a few seconds
and accompanied by some awful background music.
I don't think I've ever seen this footage or my memory is blurry.

that's from a scandinavian tv interview from around the early 90's. i have it on a bootleg dvd-r, but there's no info other than "Scandinavian interview early 90's"

I would love to watch it sometime. I believe it's the interview by Danish TV-reporter, Mette Fugl, made by Mette Fugl Productions. I watched a snippet of it on TV when they announced Bukowski had died. I remember Mette Fugl asked Bukowski about the good old days and Bukowski answered, "There was a lot of broken glass back then". :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Starts after 0 seconds.
Don't get exited, the footage only last a few seconds
and accompanied by some awful background music.
I don't think I've ever seen this footage or my memory is blurry.
The short Bukowski interview was broadcasted in Norway in early 90's,
and it was I who taped the video from TV that time and gave it away to a Bukowski collector in the USA.
He had never seen it before, and earned enough some bucks on it later :)

... I think the interview was made by an Italian TV company

Nice find, Black Swan! I'm not sure, but it could be a clip from the Danish Mette Fugl interview (although the subtitles are in Norwegian, but it was probably shown in all of the Scandinavian countries) which is 25-30 min. long. I've been looking for that interview for years. Hopefully, all of it will turn up one day.

Funny that they show images of Santa Monica and Venice Beach, reinforcing the (false) idea that Bukowski "retired to the seaside" and wrote from his mansion there. Young girls don't jog around the part of San Pedro that Bukowski lived in, that much I know for sure.

Nice to see though, and yes, it would be nice to see the whole thing.

Yes, I vaguely remember seeing this before.
I like the way he asks the interviewer questions. (He must have liked her.)
Like when he asks "how about you?"
Also like the final question (with a slight ironic tone):

"Do you think that I'm happy?"

Buk was always focusing on questions likke that. Most of us just drift along but his brain was always churning out some question.
Guess thats why he needed the drink.

PS: Bukfan: This guy apparently wrote a poem, in 2002, as a response to a Buk-poem. And the poem became quite popular in Denmark. Do you know what poems he's talking about? All you foreigners that don't speak Scandinavian can skip this:

Søren Ulrik Thomsen

Last edited:
oh, btw, I'm pretty sure Michael Montfort was there too. I don't have the 'Big White Book' at hand, but think there's a photograph that exactly matches this environment, clothing and sky:

Scandinavian-interview-screenshot_MM-shot_b.jpg

can anybody confirm or falsify this?

'the worst and the best' from Love Is a Dog From Hell.
it's not really written as a response though, just inspired by it.

That's right! He's a very famous Danish poet, but I did'nt know he had written a poem inspired by Buk's "The worst and the best". I would like to read it if only I knew where to find it on the net.

Versefødder

Med temaet for digtsamlingen iscenesætter Thomsen helt åbenlyst et møde mellem sit yngre og sit nuværende digter-jeg. I 1980 skrev den unge S.U.T. et digt med titlen »parafrase over Charles Bukowskis digt DET VÆRSTE OG DET BEDSTE«. Både dette digt, og det Bukowski-digt som det parafraserer, er optrykt som appendiks til den 20 år ældre digters 20 gange så lange udfoldelse af temaet.
Transformationen fra Bukowski over unge S.U.T til ældre Thomsen er i høj grad en transformation i rytme. Bukowski er ren rock: »in madhouses/ it’s the worst/ in penthouses/ it’s the worst/ in skid row flophouses/ it’s the worst« – kan man ikke næsten høre en Jim Morrison messe disse vers i et hypnotisende og slutteligt vrængende crescendo? Hos Thomsen den ældre er ordene faldet ind i en metrik der messer på en helt anden måde: »Det er det værste for mig« – dum-da-da-dum-da-da-dej.
Denne trestavelsestakt, denne trisyllabiske gangart, er karakteristisk for samlingen og falder helt i hak i vers der næsten (på én fod nær) er heksametre, som når digteren virtuost får gjort poesi af sin gamle »elektriskblå« læderjakke: »og med en gnistrende similistjerne på kraven«. Fem antikke fødder i gnistrende 80’er-simili, godt gået! Det er også dette tendentielle versemål, der fanger »de bedste« ord: »Ord som vakker, cyklon og KwaZulu-Natal/ er de bedste«. Prøv at trampe til – så bliver »KwaZulu-Natal« virkelig det fedeste!
Og så er foden beredt på videre sansning: på den fornemmelse af at glide ned i scooterstøvlerne, som var digterens 12-års-lykke, og nu hans erindringslykke. Det bedste er Thomsens metrik og hans klang og hans banalitet.
En af »det bedste«-listerne bliver digterens »to-do«-liste: »en salme en vuggesang og en spionroman«. To af disse projekter kan med denne digtsamling afkrydses. Spionroman er den ikke, selv om den ubestrideligt har sine støvregnssteder. Men salme – jo, sgu, for hvad er »de bedste«-listerne andet end en smittende lovprisning af skabningen? Og vuggesang, jo, jo, jo – en aften var min trang til at afprøve den thomsenske metrik sammenfaldende med puttetid, så vi skiftede »lille Jumbo« ud med Søren Ulrik – og det gled lige ind i de små barneører.

http://www.information.dk/73488

Thanks, for uploading the Italian mini documentary! I don't think anybody here had seen it before. It's always great when "new" Buk stuff pops up.
I thought it was a clip from the Danish Buk interview by Mette Fugl since it's called "Charles Bukowski - Scandinavian TV", although I did wonder why she did'nt appear in the clip since (some of) her interview was a face to face interview.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back