Newb saying Hi (1 Viewer)

Just stumbled upon this insanely cool site and wanted to say hi. Two months ago a buddy of mine said I had to read Ham on Rye. I told him I don't read fiction. Heck, I rarely read any books, mostly science and technical magazines. He read Ham on Rye in 5 days. The next three weeks I consumed Post Office, Women and Notes of a Dirty Old Man. I have never loved reading so much. Buk has turned on something inside of me that I thought never existed. :)

man, that is so cool to hear. to go from not being much of a fiction reader, to devouring a bunch of books and wanting more - i think that speaks volumes for why bukowski does deserve a prominent place in the american literary canon.

whenever i read so-called academics criticising buk's writing as simple, crass, repetitive, blah blah etc. i think of all the people who turn up on this site and tell us how they never read fiction/poetry till they discovered buk. as an author, to have that kind of power and impact on people is something truly amazing and exceedingly rare.

and ummm... hi buzzinghigh! you'll like it here :)

He read Ham on Rye in 5 days. The next three weeks I consumed Post Office, Women and Notes of a Dirty Old Man.
\

Typo. I meant to say I read Ham on Rye in 5 days! :)

Thanks Rubyred for the reply. What you say is so true. I have never ever considered reading poetry until I went back to the book store to see what else Buk had out. His poetry is insane. While I read it my mind paints a crystal picture that I have not seen in there. It's really life changing.

awesome :)
there's a thread on the *all* things bukowski board that lists other authors buk fans might like. although you're probably quite content to wade through the vast volumes of buk's work for now.

Welcome to the forum, BuzzingHigh! Glad to hear Buk was an eye-opener for you. His "all booze & whores" rep is so misleading. There's much more to Buk than that, as you already have found out...

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, BuzzingHigh! Glad to hear Buk was an eye-opener for you. His "all booze & whores" rep is so misleading. There's much more to Buk than that, as you already have found out...

Yes there is. I just got Born Into This and watched it two times in three days. I am fascinated my this mans life. I really enjoyed seeing him grow more content as he got older. He smiled more and seemed to enjoy life. Really tugs at the ol emotions.

Ah yes, Born Into This is a great Buk docu indeed! Yes, he really seemed more at peace with himself in later years, thanks to Linda B.'s positive influence I'm sure. If you have'nt watched The Bukowski Tapes yet, I highly recommend that you do! Almost four hours of Buk being interviewed by Barbet Schroeder (the director of Barfly). It's an essential interview for Bukowski fans...

The Tapes are compulsive viewing. Once I start I virtually have to watch the lot

Do people here think that Linda calmed him down or was it simply a natural mellowing with age?

Just stumbled upon this insanely cool site and wanted to say hi. Two months ago a buddy of mine said I had to read Ham on Rye. I told him I don't read fiction. Heck, I rarely read any books, mostly science and technical magazines. He read Ham on Rye in 5 days. The next three weeks I consumed Post Office, Women and Notes of a Dirty Old Man. I have never loved reading so much. Buk has turned on something inside of me that I thought never existed. :)

He'll definitely make your life easier somehow. He can rely on his wisdom. More power to you. Welcome to the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back