Non-commercial Buk readings/video (1 Viewer)

Does anyone have any Bukowski readings, videos or other material (that have not been released commercially) that they would upload or share?

Fans of bands and music in general seem to share all their rare recordings at sites like Dimeadozen, so why not writers?

R

What? are you like 20 or so? His last reading I think was like 30 years ago. No one not even Bill Gates had a iPhone back in the bad old days. It's not likely someone waltzed into the book store with a reel to reel and a boom mic.
But these people around here are pretty amazing and might know of something, for a price.

Bill Gates probably still doesn't have an iPhone. Why would he want to give his business to that #!%+?# Steve Jobs?

@gerard

No, I'm 40 or so

you'd be surprised what recordings people can get their hands on. For example, I have a soundboard of a private concert that Sinat ra gave for Nixon at the Whitehouse that was somehow sneaked out.
The Watergate guys, perhaps?

I have hundred of unreleased shows by various artists going back to the 1940's. And people did just like you say - they waltzed into venues with reel-to-reel recorders. No need for iphones.

People always recorded Buk - for example, you can see a couple of people put tape recorders on his desk as he reads during Last Straw.

there must be stuff out there.

R

People always recorded Buk - for example, you can see a couple of people put tape recorders on his desk as he reads during Last Straw.
You're right, and I've often said the same thing - he seemed to be recorded at every reading. But at this point we have to assume that most of those tapes are gone or will never be digitized, copied or otherwise see the light of day. I think most people made those tapes for themselves, listened to them once or twice and forgot about them.

I've been looking for "unknown" tapes for years and have only found one. But yeah, there are probably a hundred of them out there still in decent enough shape to salvage, but it's unlikely they'll turn up. Or by the time they do, the cassettes will be 50 year old worthless flakes of once-magnetic dust.

We should be happy for what there is, because there are a decent number of Bukowski recordings available. I've been moving backup files to a new storage unit and I'm starting to realize how many recordings we have of him.

Fans of bands and music in general seem to share all their rare recordings at sites like Dimeadozen, so why not writers?
We don't link to free downloads of things that are commercially available, and most of the Bukowski audio recordings are still available.

"We don't link to free downloads of things that are commercially available, and most of the Bukowski audio recordings are still available".

just to clarify, sites such as Dimeadozen also disallow commercially released material. Strictly unreleased material only.

There was an interesting show there the other day that might interest people here: The Lenny Bruce memorial show. There are also a couple of Hunter S Thompson readings from 1977 in trading circles.

I guess we'll just have to hope that one day lost Buk tapes will turn up in some thrift store...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back