Norton Bukowski quote (1 Viewer)

This posting mentions the Norton Anthology as being 1973, rather than 1994.

Because of his writing style, his subject matter, his persona, and his lifestyle, Bukowski was ignored by the literary establishment. Not one of his poems could be found in The Norton Anthology of Modern and Contemporary Poetry (1973), despite the fact that a poem by another poet, which included a direct quote from Bukowski's Mockingbird Wish Me Luck, was. John Dullaghan, the director of "Born Into This," a documentary on Bukowski who assisted with research for the Huntington exhibit said, "He didn't like academia. He resented it, he didn't feel like they embraced him."

Another person, posting around the same time, has Bukowski's Mockingbird collected in the Norton Anthology in 1994.

All very cryptic and confusing.

Confusing for sure. I want to get my hands on the poem that quotes Bukowski's mockingbird without having to scour used bookstores for old copies of Norton Anthologies. You'd think the title and author would be available somewhere online, if not the poem itself.

Thanks for your help.

There are five Bukowski poems in Postmodern American Poetry: A Norton Anthology, ed. Paul Hoover (1994): "crucifix in a deathhand", "startled into life like fire", "i am dead but i know the dead are not like this", "the mockingbird", and "my old man".
Thus this anthology doesn't have a poem which quotes from "mockingbird"---it has the poem itself.

Thank you David. This clears up the contradictory online information. And, I'm also quite impressed with the volume of poetry included by the literary giant. Indeed, his work should be included in many more anthologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back