'notice to quit' - year? (1 Viewer)

The infamous 'notice to quit' from 'Buk in pics'(p.47) and (much bigger) 'The Outsider' No3 (p.62) has all the years blacked-out (though not very carefully done).

Sounes claimes (p.46) it's from 1954. In our timeline we have the given address for the year 1950.
Has anybody been able to decipher the correct year underneath the blacking?

Funny sidemark: to me the accusation of "excessive drinking" reads like "excessive thinking". Would suit him as well. And is not gladly seen in society either.

In our timeline we have the given address for the year 1950.
334 S Westlake is not from the FBI files, so it must be from correspondence or ???

I don't keep notes on the sources for timeline, but I'm sort of picky about what goes in there (it has to be solid information, and I always correct errors when we find them) so I would tend to believe 1950.

All due respect to Uncle Howie.

Maybe someone has Outsider 3 within reach and can see if it's readable.

so:
Has anybody been able to decipher the correct year underneath the blacking?
I haven't.

notice-to-quit_year_d.jpg

They could have used it as a location, it was still there when Barfly was filmed (it's gone now, replaced by a modern apartment building in 1989). I don't remember whether Schroeder mentioned it in his commentary...

Bukowski also lived, I think, at the Royal Palms, which was at 360 Westlake, although the timeline doesn't mention it. I lived around the corner from there for about eight years and some of Barfly I think was shot there. I could be wrong about this whole thing though.

There is recognition, but that does not always mean protection.
Bukowski also lived, I think, at the Royal Palms, which was at 360 Westlake, although the timeline doesn't mention it. I lived around the corner from there for about eight years and some of Barfly I think was shot there.
Some of Barfly was definitely shot there. I don't know about him living there, though I'm sure he had a few addresses we will never know about.

In the movie he gives the address as 334 (when calling an ambulance), even though the exterior is 360. So he wrote 334 in the script.

I am 95% percent sure that Buk said he lived there with Jane in an interview around the time Barfly was shooting. Whether he was being sentimental, senile, or serious is another matter.

Yeah, there's a story somewhere that he saw the building after filming and said, "Hey, I lived there," so who knows.

I checked the script and it's funny, he used the Aragon address and the Royal Palms name:

scan448.jpg

So as usual he isn't giving us a straight answer. ;)

But a stint at the Royal Palms certainly seems plausible.

seem to recognize the lawn from 'Barfly'
I guess I was wrong. Palmtrees and a smooth hill alone don't make the right lawn, as we can see on these film-stills, where the building just isn't the same:

barfly-cornsteeling.jpg

Still I was right somehow, when I remembered that this scene had been shot at an authentic place, as we read in 'Hollywood' (chapt.33) :

"The corn had been planted and was ready to steal. To use the location cost the budget 5 thousand dollars. The vacant lot was now owned by a Rehabilitation Center for Alcoholics. Pinchot had searched everywhere for a cheaper location but finally had to settle for that one, which actually was the same vacant lot which my lady had stolen the corn from over 3 decades ago. The new corn had been planted in the exact location where the old corn had been planted. Other things were not quite so exact. The apartment building nearby where the lady had lived, the one I moved into with her, had now been turned into a Home for the Aged."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back