Numbers ... (1 Viewer)

I did some arithmetic last night ...

... I read approximately 36 books annually (sometimes more when I'm reading for book review purposes). There are 50-plus Bukowski titles in the market but I've only read, roughly, ten of them.

I read a new Bukowski title perhaps once a year, often for pleasure but sometimes for creative inspiration, and I also find he works well as a lubricant to get me excited about literature when I'm growing bored. At the growing rate of one Bukowski per annum, it would take me 40 frickin' years to read the remainder of his canon I haven't indulged. Hell, I'll be 50 next year and I sure as shit ain't dropping dead when I'm 100, not with my fucked up health and the path the world is taking these early days of the 21st century.

So, to read all of Bukowski in a reasonable amount of time, I would need to commit to 2 books per month. It would then take me 1 year and 8 months to finish them all.

But I can't manage to read two Bukowski titles a month. It would be sensory overload. I couldn't possibly dive into his literary world that often.

Shit. I wish I knew how long I had to live so I can plan this out better.

C-dog, It is not sensory overload to read 2 Bukowski books in a month. If my half retarded brain can handle it you should be able to breeze through with flying colors. One thing I did notice, when I was vigorously trying to catch up, I found myself drinking more than usual. I was getting right into the swing of it and drinking was it.
btw Anyone who has smoked for any length of time has COPD and you will probably live at least another 12 years. I still recomend that you power read the Bukowski.

50-plus probably considers some overlap.

Let's stick to the common books that we could all buy for less than $20. What ten have you read? I'm assuming you've read Post Office, Women and Factotum. Along with South of No North, The Most Beautiful Woman in Town and Tales of Ordinary Madness.

That's six. Let's add Love is A Dog From Hell, Burning in Water Drowning in Flame, Dangling in the Tournefortia and/or one or two of the posthumous collections.

If you have not read any of the titles I've mentioned, then get off this website and read them. Otherwise, lemme know which ones you have read, and I'll (or we'll) be happy to put you straight on which ones to devour. And hang in there, mate. We're pulling for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back