Old and in the way....Notes of A..... (1 Viewer)

Buk was a guy we "all" (all us "hippie types" in N Orange Co) knew of and FEARED (because he would actually THROW stuff at us or belch/vomit on us) in the 60's early 70's....he didn't seem to need anyone or anything except for booze....and SOMEONE to LISTEN, even though they didn't UNDERSTAND.....and OF COURSE "we" were "so" beyond that....witnessed him "read" and RANT many times in S LA Co and Hollywood (the Troubador, The Rainbow Room and other places) and at a bowling alley near Cerritos CA (between LongBeach & Garden Grove-ROSSMORE LANES)...I was a surfer chick with a big appetite for LSD, and in 1970, Buk seemed to have the answers or at least the questions....for some reason he was tolerant of me and my girlfriends as we grouped round and acted "smart" and "interested".....and yes, those days did run like horses.....40 years later he STILL has the questions I can't answer....I miss those days....when FREE "papers" actually SAID "something" , when guys like Buk could actually SURVIVE on a crap day-job and a column in the Free Press, and when young silly girls like me could actually experience GREATNESS

I miss those days....when guys like Buk could actually SURVIVE on a crap day-job and a column in the Free Press...
In 1970 Bukowski didn't have a "crap day job." He didn't have any job but writing. During the entire decade of the 60s he didn't have a crap day job. When he quit the post office he making nearly $50,000 a year in today's money. So you're kind of missing a time that didn't exist. At least for him.

MAYBE.....you're "thinking" of the 1950s , when you "talk" about CRAP DAY JOB.....or "something".....or MAYBE it's the ACID "talking".....

Do you remember when the Rossmore Lanes reading was? That's an interesting venue.

MAYBE.....you're "thinking" of the 1950s , when you "talk" about CRAP DAY JOB.....or "something".....or MAYBE it's the ACID "talking".....

You forgot to put some of her commas in after she made quotation marks - a common mistake mind you - but it's incorrect and since I found that out, it now always distracts me from reading what the person was even "trying" to say. Plus, the use of "quotations" being used where italics should be was making me uneasy and giving me slight seizures.

However, re-reading it made me see that she is a very good storyteller despite these nit-picky, snobby complaints of mine.

Yeah, that's me being pretentious. Welcome to my night of insomnia! ;)

Pardon the digression, but can you give a few examples of how the comas should be used with quotes, esart? I'm not sure what you mean.

Lynn Ann -- that's fascinating that Bukowski read at a bowling alley near Cerritos. Can you guess at what year that was? Seems like a very noisy venue what with the rolling bowling balls smashing into the pins.

can you give a few examples of how the comas should be used with quotes, esart?
1. "This is where the comma goes," she said, "because I said so."
2. "This is where the comma goes," he said, "because she said so."
3. "This is where the comma goes," they said, "because Obama said so."

The British may take issue with the American rule, but then they always have.

MJP has it right. The comma goes before the end of the quotation marks. I had no idea the British put it after. Is that really true? I heard the "correct" way to do it was before you close those quotation marks from a master linguist and professor of the English language one day on NPR.

Right. I already knew the rule about the coma belonging inside the quote, but I missed the example at the end of her post which you were talking about and so I thought some other, more exotic thing was happening. In other words, never mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back