On Love (1 Viewer)

cirerita

Founding member
On Love
ir

BukowskiOnLove.jpg

One more Buk book? Is it a collection of everything Buk said about love in his poems, letters and short stories, or is there some new material in it as well?

First a book about cats and now one about love. I wonder what the next one will be about. Maybe Buk on drinking, Buk on horse betting or Buk on work. :hmh:

[...] First a book about cats and now one about love. I wonder .....
hey Bukfan,
somewhere here our cirerita had already told about the whole theme-project, maybe someone can link to it.
It was intended like that from the start (and heavily attacked here as a concept).

The 3 upcoming books edited by Abel are (in order of appearence):
- on writing
- on cats
- on love (please note: NOT on sex!)

there seemed to have been a 4th subject in the pipeline that's been cancelled for now.

Maybe you mean On Drinking.

Here's the thread (On Cats) where the concept was "heavily attacked" - by me only. I don't see any other attacks, only a few comments on why people aren't impressed by it.

Here's another thread (On Writing).

And here's another. I think that is the first one. Now that I see it again, this is the one that you probably referred to when you said "heavily attacked."

hey Bukfan,
somewhere here our cirerita had already told about the whole theme-project...

Thanks, Roni! I´m sure we could think of some more subjects besides those you mention (maybe one on poets and writing poetry?).

Thanks, for the links, mjp!

"60,000 men his age were dead from the Vietnam War..."

That's news to me. I thought a bunch of teenage draftees were dead. I didn't realize the war took such a toll on guys in their 40s and 50s. I'll have to send Suzette Smith a thank you note for the education.

Other than that? tl;dr So. Boring.

I started making a list of WHO the poems are dedicated to (in those cases where they actually Are and we know) or deal with, but haven't found a proper form and layout for this list by now.
something like:

for Barbara Frye:
- the day I kicked away ... (p.3)
- hello barbara (p. 132)

for Marina Louise Bukowski:
- for the 18 months ... (p.32)
- poem for my daughter (p.34)
- love poem to Marina (p.59)
- sitting in a sandwich joint ... (p. 89)
- 2nd street ... (p.122)
- it was all right (p. 142)

for Frances Smith:
- one for old snaggle-tooth (p.101)
- hello barbara (p. 132)
- it was all right (p. 142)

for Jane Cooney Baker:
- shoes (p.9)
- for Jane: with all the love ... (p.16 + 19)
- for Jane (p.18)
- notice (p.20)
- love (p.68) -?
- a place to relax (p.126) -? [note the line: "I buried her five years after I met her"!]
- Jane and Droll (p.138)
- eulogy to a hell of a dame (p.147) [note the lines: "you've been dead / 28 years" written in 1983!]
- 40 years ago ... (p.154)

for the Burbank-strippers, esp. Rosalie:
- love poem to a stripper (p. 164)

for Carson McCullers:
- Carson McCullers (p.136)

for literature:
- the first love (p.65)

for Ann Mennebroker:
- all the love of me ... (p.39)

for Linda Lee Beighle:
- mermaid (p.118)
- yes (p.119) -?
- the trashing of the dildo (p.123)
- for the little one (p. 130) -?
- confessions (p.205)

etcetc

p.s.:
this was not only meant to inform you, but a sort of call to join in and contribute, kids.

(there are a lot of obvious dedications, that many of us are able to add here, so I don't have to type everything alone)

of course, cirerita is invited too.

Last edited:
This is in the database now.

These recent books with the restored poems introduce a problem to the database. You'll notice that in the list for this book some of the poems say "manuscript differs from collected version," but now that really only applies to the versions in the Black Sparrow collections. The new collections are faithful to the manuscripts, so I'm going to have to figure out how to deal with that. At some point.

I'm only halfway through this one, but it's easily the best of the recent crop. And thanks to Abel we finally have poem dates in the "sources" section in the back of the book. I find myself turning back to it all the time while reading.

only applies to the versions in the Black Sparrow collections
first I simply thought of: "manuscript differs from the BSP-version", but there are also ecco books.
How about: "manuscript differs from the collected version edited by John Martin"?

we finally have poem dates in the "sources" section in the back of the book. I find myself turning back to it all the time while reading
as you know, I'm always pleading for source-/date-notes/remarks and I'm super-uber-happy, that Abel included them, but you just gave the reason, why I also always insist having them as footnotes on the very pages of the texts:
"find myself turning back to it all the time". This need of constant flipping back and forth gets on my nerves. Doesn't it go on yours?

Also, I'm a bit unhappy about the lack of page-numbers. I had to work on my copy adding the pages (see also: the names on the margin indicate to whom said poem is dedicated).

Untitled-1.jpg

This way of constant flipping back and forth gets on my nerves. Doesn't it go on yours?
Not as much as footnotes would. ;) I don't think they belong in a book of poetry. They'd be on almost every page and I'd feel like I was reading a science book or something. I see your point, but I think those source notes appeal to about 1 in every 100 people who pick up the books.

Page numbers in the source notes would be good. Since the book is so short I didn't find it much of a problem, but in a longer book it would be a pain to navigate without page numbers.

How about: "manuscript differs from the collected version edited by John Martin"?
It's more than a wording issue, it's an issue with the way the database works.

Each poem (or story) title has an id number that is a "unique identifier" in the database. It's those id numbers that are connected to the manuscripts, and flagged as either the same or different.

But now one title (with one unique id number) can be both the same and different from the manuscript. So I have to change how that works.

Your suggestion would work (and I'll probably use it for now). It's just kind of a hack, and ideally I'd like to be able to list the same title as changed or unchanged depending on the book.

As much as I enjoy holding a book there is nothing more satisfying than hitting a hyperlink to a source and the alt left arrow (0r shift F5) back to source.

Or at least someone who knows what they're doing. That would be good too.

But that's just the way it goes with any database. You build it to do certain things and making it do other things is not always easy (or possible).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back