Peter Falk (1 Viewer)

hoochmonkey9

Art should be its own hammer.
Reaper Crew
Founding member
25falk-span-articleLarge.jpg

I love Columbo, have since I was a kid in the '70s. I love John Cassavetes movies. so it really makes me sad to find out that Peter Falk died today. but he was 83 and had a very good run of it.

I love Peter falk and the Columbo series.

Funny, they're showing the Columbo series over here every evening at the moment. I happened to watch today's episode, and then I log into the forum and sees he's dead!

R.I.P., Peter Falk! You gave us a lot of great entertainment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked Columbo too. He was a different TV detective - no glamour or sex appeal, very low-key and not a lot of gun play as I recall. And he always "played dumb" when questioning the suspects, but of course he was always thinking two steps ahead of everyone. My grandmother was a big fan and she could always discuss the latest episode with her grandkids. Warm memories here.

Gotta admit my knowledge of Cassavetes is thin. Which one featuring Falk should I see ? And which is "best" overall ?
All opinions welcome...

Gotta admit my knowledge of Cassavetes is thin. Which one featuring Falk should I see ? And which is "best" overall ?
All opinions welcome...

Cassavetes gets as much hate as he does love for his films. he's a real 'actors' director. he gives them a free reign and sometimes that results in them chewing the scenery. I really like it, but can see the faults.

that said, Falk appeared in two Cassavetes films:

husbandsPoster.jpg

woman_under_the_influence.jpg

A Woman Under the Influence is probably the better film.

Falk also appeared with Cassavetes in a film directed by Elaine May which is pretty good.

B00065GVI4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

but the best Cassavetes film, without Falk is

254_box_348.490.jpg

a masterpiece. says me. heh.

I am working so much now it doesn't surprise me that I hear this sad news here on this great forum. As a salesman I must admit the Columbo, Oh, and one more thing before I forget...technique is a very effective way to get more money from a customer as they let their guard down as they think you are walking away. He was very good in It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World as the cab driver.

Falk also had a great role in Wings of Desire. Especially the scene where he reveals his past to Damiel. He is also referred to as Columbo at one point in the film.

Gotta admit my knowledge of Cassavetes is thin.

RIP Falk to begin with. Just watched Machine Gun McCain a couple of nights ago and Falk was solid as always. With Cassavetes it's truly a mixed bag when it comes to watching the films he acted in. He often times whored himself out to films to earn enough scratch to make films he wanted. Watch the films he was in charge of to fully appreciate him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back