Pinsky does so like Bukowski (1 Viewer)

Digney in Burnaby

donkeys live a long time
Was staying cool in the big box book store and noted an anthology edited by Robert Pinsky, Essential Pleasures (I think). Includes a Bukowski poem. Probably the only poem in the anthology that includes an asterik (spelling?) that links it with Raymond Carver's poem about Bukowski.

So, is Bukowski now acceptable for more than 15 year old boys?

Apparently Pinski has changed his mind a bit about Bukowski since his remark, ""He's a children's writer, good for 15-year-old boys". Or maybe he felt he had to include a Bukowski poem whether he liked it or not...

Father Luke said it best when he basically said, and I'm doing my best to get his gist, that, as a poet laureate, he should be an ambassador for all things poetic. Maybe Pinsky has had some kind of revelation; I doubt that. Perhaps he wants to sell more books and realizes that Buk sells. Dunno. But I know this. Having moved from the urban life in Somerville, right near the Cambridge line and Inman Square, to the suburbs about 5 miles north, I like my life and neighbors much more.

But, I will miss Inman Sq. Hardware. What a great store. Walk in there and ask if they have a left-handed widget for removing leaves from a gutter that has suffered from depression, and they'll have three of them.

Now Purple... be careful. What you just said almost qualifies as hate speech. Please consider that gutters have feelings too - not to mention the differently-abled gutter cleaners (let's call them technicians) who require special equipment to perform their jobs in a society that insists on JUDGING THEM !

C'mon man.....

Apparently Pinski has changed his mind a bit about Bukowski since his remark, ""He's a children's writer, good for 15-year-old boys". Or maybe he felt he had to include a Bukowski poem whether he liked it or not...

Looks like Pinsky has changed his mind yet again, since Buk's poem "Three Oranges" is in this Best of the Best American Poetry anthology
ir
which he and David Lehman edited...

Maybe he's finally realized Buk is a major American poet, or maybe it was David Lehman who wanted Buk in the anthology. Still, it's interesting that they now recognize Buk as a great poet. About time too.

yes, Three Oranges is a good one!

Pinksy about face reminds me of what Buk said in the the Born into This extra footage (reading at home) about someday (after you're gone) they'll hang you from the stinking lamppost...so what? or something to that effect about lauding you. Seems buk was right yet again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back