Poetry and politics (1 Viewer)

Hi
I'd like to know if you could name poems or short stories in which Bukowski treats of politics please.
I have some troubles to find it, because I had many books in french, that are totally useless, and as I am waiting for the english books to arrive, it is very hard to find those kind online since i don't know where to start.
I hope I made myself clear, sorry if I don't, I haven't sleep much this time and I am afraid I am stoned to death.
Thanks for your help.

One short story -- very short, only three pages -- that comes immediately to mind is "Politics is like trying to screw a cat in the ass" on page 176 of Erections, Ejaculations, Exhibitions and General Tales of Ordinary Madness. A lot of his poems have political leanings ... I guess "Dinosauria, we" is more of a lament for how we've screwed up the planet, but it could be interpreted as political. But I know there are others much more so, just at work now and with limited access to them.

Hope this helps ...

There's a section in Notes of a Dirty Old Man where he writes about Bobby Kennedy and the sort of stuff that was going on politically and socially in the U.S. in the late 1960s. He definitely comes across as far more liberal than conservative (as one might expect, even though he rarely discusses left vs right). It's an excellent piece; somewhere near the middle of the book, if I recall.

"Should We Burn Uncle Sam's Ass" published in "Notes from Underground" is one of the best summaries of his political ideas.

Forgot to say that "Uncle Sam's Ass" is an essay, not a poem or story.

thanks everyone, this will really help. I appreciate.
Do you know by chance if I could find "Politics is like trying to screw a cat in the ass" online ? I have the book, but once again in french and the translation is very bad as always.
Thanks again

From the link:
"Charles Bukowski is a writer who is known mainly for his short stories and novels about hookers, gambling, heavy drinking and weird, abusive relationships. Later in his writing career, he also took up poetry."

Yeah, sure.

Thanks hank solo

Sorry to be such a pain in the ass, but is it possible to find "Should We Burn Uncle Sam's Ass" online ?
I have looked for it but I didn't find it, I wouldn't to dare to ask otherwise, believe me ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back