Post Your Bukowski Collection (2 Viewers)

HenryChinaski

Founding member
This is a thread to brag about all the cool Buk material you have, hard to find items, and general rub it in your face rarities.

Books

Novels
Post Office
Women
Ham On Rye
Factotum
Hollywood
Pulp

Poetry
Mocking Bird Wish Me Luck
Play The Piano Drunk Like A Percussion Insturment Untill The Fingers Begin To Bleed A Bit
What Matters Most Is How Well You Walk Through The Fire
Love Is A Dog From Hell
The Rooming House Madrigals: Early Selected Poems 1946 - 1966

Short Stories Collections/other
Hot Water Music
Tales Of Ordinary Madness
South Of No North
Betting On The Muse
Bring Me Your Love
The Captain Is Out To Lunch & The Sailors Have Taken Over The Ship

Screenplays
The Movie: BARFLY

Other
Run With The Hunted: A Charles Bukowski Reader
Shakespeare Never Did This
BUKOWSKI REVIEW #3

Audio CD
Charles Bukowski: Uncensored
70 Minutes In Hell
At Terror Street And Agony Way
King Of Poets

VHS
BARFLY; A film by Barbet Schroeder

DVD
The Bukowski Tapes By Barbet Scroeder (bootleg)

My collection isn't very big but believe me, IT'S GROWING. I will continue untill I run out of money!

NOW POST YOURS.

Mine's even smaller.

Books
Hollywood
Women
Ham On Rye
Factotum

Poetry
Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame
What Matters Most is How Well You Walk Through the Fire
The Flash of Lightning Behind the Mountain
The Last Night of the Earth Poems
Sifting Through the Madness for the Word, the Line, the Way

Short Stories
The Most Beautiful Woman in Town
Notes of a Dirty Old Man

I think that's it...

Yeek, I'd have to make a list of everything, and I'm not sure I'm up for the task. I'm in the middle of bukowski.net database reorganization right now, and that's about all the listing I can take.

Mine is all standard stuff anyway, but what I'm happiest about having are:

- Several poem and letter manuscripts

- A hardbound copy of War All The Time with a really nice oil painting in the front

- Original art of two guys fighting in front of movie lights that was considered for the Hollywood book (including a handwritten letter to Martin that accompanied the art)

- And maybe my favorite, one I see every day because it's on the wall near my desk; a 1975 letter with a large India ink painting

The rest is all probably stuff everyone else has too. Now as for what I want...that's a post for the wantlist forum.

cirerita said:
you don't want me to post mine, now, do you? anyway, I just couldn't!

gotta grab some sleep now...

lol im sure I really don't want you to. But if you ever get a chance...and feel really bored, make our jaws drop with envy, k?

I just got my hands on a Presentation Copy.....!
I had never even seen one before.
I think the rarest I have is the broadside Fencing With The Shadows.
It is supposedly 1 of only 3 or 4 in existence. I 'm selling all my Buk stuff (I think) to raise funds to get me a happy life <G> and planning on not only re-buying it all later but upgrading too. So not sure I'll let those 2 titles go. Scarlet will be tough to let go too, but when I re-buy it I will get the one with the painting.:D

ya know zoo man...the buy/sell/trade forum would be a very good place to get things going for you on selling some of your Buk stuff. I am very interested in seeing some of the things you have. So *cough* HURRY UP AND DO THAT *cough*

I have most of his books...but not all of them as I like to ration them . If I own them then I read them...this way I can dole 'em out over the years. Still haven't redd Mockingbird Wish Me Luck or Play The Piano Drunk...

I have a bunch of Buk-related Wormwood Reviews & Buk chapbooks dating back to 1962. The editor, Marvin Malone, conducted a sort of clearing-out in the early 1990s. He was very kind to me by selling me a copy of Hank's chapbook "Beauti-ful" (1988) after I had lost my original copy to someone I had loaned it to. He told me it was officially out of print but he would sell me a copy if I promised not to lend out anymore Bukowski chapbooks!

Also have an envelope Buk addressed to "Gwen McGilberry" in St. Mary's, Georgia, postmarked 16 October 1979 from his San Pedro PO Box address.

Have various audio & video recordings...the most recent being a downloaded copy of Born Into This with German subtitles.

Wanna get high?

nah not really.

i've recently added a couple things to mine.

the first printing City Lights made of Notes Of a Dirty Old Man, paper back edition 1969, and hopefully The Night Torn Mad With Footsteps, first edition hardback numbered with original serigraph

Brother Schenker said:
Also have an envelope Buk addressed to "Gwen McGilberry" in St. Mary's, Georgia, postmarked 16 October 1979 from his San Pedro PO Box address.
Is that the box 132 address? Was the zip 90731 or 90733? That post office is weird. The boxes span a couple of zip codes for some reason, because mine is 90733, and I know some are 90731.

the newest edition to my collection.
The Night Torn Mad With Footsteps
HardBack 1st Edition w/ Original Serigraph # 368 of 500

MVC204S.gif

MVC205S.gif

Funny thing - I bought a hardcover copy of Night Torn Mad on ebay in December for something like $8, and when it arrived it was this version - the first edition with the print tipped in. Kind of surprising since it was advertised as just a hardcover. You just never know what's going to show up in the mail.

I wonder if Ecco has plans to release new editions of the old BS titles in hardcover? Seems unlikely, but who knows.

here is my list , POST OFFICE,HOT WATER MUSIC,HOLLYWOOD, SOUTH OF NO NORTH,FACTOTUM,WOMEN,PULP,HAM OPN RYE,SEPTAUGENARIAN STEW,TALES OF ORDINARY MADNESS,NOTES OF A DIRTY OLD MAN,THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMEN IN TOWN......LOVE IS A DOG FROM HELL...........................I WISH I KNEW WHAT ORDER I READ THE BOOKS,I DO KNOW POST OFFICE WAS FIRST.NOW MY NEXT THING TO DO IS GET SOME SOUND FORTHAT FACE AND WRITTING.IS THERE A SITE WERE I CAN HEAR HIM READ?IF SO LET ME KNOW HANKYOU,WAYNE

Several things I'm holding onto:
Coffin 1
20 Tanks, signed
Post Office, signed
Women, signed
This, signed
Red, signed
Epos, Poems and Drawings
Cold Dogs in the Courtyard
... more

Oh,right, forgot to mention that one! I wish that was part of the stash, but no... However, I do have an interesting chapbook written by Nicky Drumbolis of Letters Bookshop in Toronto discussing the controversy surrounding the 'Signature'.

Jason said:
I do have an interesting chapbook written by Nicky Drumbolis of Letters Bookshop in Toronto discussing the controversy surrounding the 'Signature'.
I wasn't aware that there was a controversy. Do tell...

My recolection (I haven't read it in some time) is that there was some conjecture about the Signature and whether or not Targets created it as a separated publication or not.

A Signature of Poetry.
BUKOWSKI, Charles.
[Canada: Letters, 1987]. Pamphlet. First edition. Limited to 67 numbered copies. Prints material that originally appeared in Targets a Quarterly of Poetry. Fine.

thanks. I don't feel like spending $75 on that one. That Signature story does ring a bill, though, I guess I read it somewhere else. Maybe in an early -unpub??- letter, who knows?

Being poor sucks so I have to read what the libraries have to offer. I have a few books though:

south of no north
ham on rye
post office
women
septaugenarian stew
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire

karl hungus said:
Being poor sucks so I have to read what the libraries have to offer.

Indeed, it does. Collecting Bukowski didn't always require such an investment -- I paid $40 for my signed copy of Post Office...

Jason: my collection contains about 190 pieces (including an original Signature #1!). All the Black Sparrow titles with paintings + very much other early crap. I was inspired by Simon Finch and created my own catalog with photos for both aesthetic and insurance purposes. I've been collecting at a breakneck pace for about 20 years. Of all my psychosis, collecting Bukowski is my favorite.

It causes me much joy and my long-suffering understanding bride much angst.

How the hell did you find a signed Post Office for $40? This is not typical.

I tried to buy books from Red on two separate occasions and he was nothing but a rude little old fuck. I phoned with money in hand but was basically hung-up on. If I had been standing in his store and he talked to me the way he did, I'd a popped him.

...and he would have still talked to you that way. ;)

He was notoriously fickle and would decide to sell or not based on his whims. That's what I've read and been told anyway, I never met the man.

He certainly was not in the habit of endearing himself to people at his shop. I saw him bar plenty of would-be book buyers from getting past the door. I always had good luck, for whatever reason, getting in to his shop...

Jason said:
Collecting Bukowski didn't always require such an investment...
I would agree with that. There's lots of interesting stuff out there for not much money. Keep buying the Black Sparrow books, that'll keep you busy for a while. ;) There are still good deals on eBay on less than perfect copies of all of them.

Here?s my list...

POETRY:

THE DAYS RUN AWAY LIKE WILD HORSES OVER THE HILLS
MOCKINGBIRD WISH ME LUCK
BURNING IN WATER,DROWNING IN FLAME
LOVE IS A DOG FROM HELL
PLAY THE PIANO DRUNK...
DANGLING IN THE TOURNEFORTIA
YOU GET SO ALONE AT TIMES...
WAR ALL THE TIME
THE ROOMINGHOUSE MADRIGALS
SEPTUAGENARIAN STEW
THE LAST NIGHT OF THE EARTH POEMS
BETTING ON THE MUSE
BONE PALACE BALLET

NOVELS:

POST OFFICE
FACTOTUM
WOMEN
HAM ON RYE
HOLLYWOOD
PULP

SHORT STORIES:

THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN IN TOWN
TALES OF ORDINARY MADNESS
SOUTH OF NO NORTH
HOT WATER MUSIC
NOTES OF A DIRTY OLD MAN
THERE?S NO BUSINESS

LETTERS:

SCREAMS FROM THE BALCONY
LIVING ON LUCK
REACH FOR THE SUN
BEERSPIT NIGHT AND CURSING
THE BUKOWSKI/PURDY LETTERS

MISC.:

SHAKESPEARE NEVER DID THIS
THE CAPTAIN IS OUT TO LUNCH...
SUNLIGHT HERE I AM (INTERVIEWS)

BIOGRAPHIES:

CHERKOVSKI: BUKOWSKI - A LIFE
MALONE: THE HUNCHBACK OF EAST HOLLYWOOD
SOUNES: LOCKED IN THE ARMS OF A CRAZY LIFE
SOUNES: BUKOWSKI IN PICTURES
POLIMENI: BUKOWSKI FOR BEGINNERS

VIDEOS:

THE BUKOWSKI TAPES (ORIGINAL)
BUKOWSKI AT BELLEVUE
BORN INTO THIS
TALES OF ORDINARY MADNESS
BARFLY

CD?S:

POEMS AND INSULTS
HOSTAGE
70 MIN. IN HELL
BUKOWSKI UNCENSORED (2 CD)
AT TERROR STREET AND AGONY WAY (2 CD)
BUKOWSKI - KING OF POETS
SOLID CITIZEN
THE LIFE AND HAZARDOUS TIMES OF CHARLES BUKOWSKI

MERCHANDISE:

A SWEATSHIRT & T-SHIRT WITH A DRAWING ON OF BUK BY CRUMB
- BOTH FROM BLACK SPARROW PRESS

THAT?S ABOUT IT. ALL THE BUK BOOKS ARE PAPERBACKS FROM BSP (a few from ecco) - NOTHING RARE. BUT I WOULD LIKE TO LAY MY DIRTY HANDS ON A SIGNED BOOK OR LETTER ETC. SOME DAY. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back