Post Your Bukowski Collection (1 Viewer)

For a while I thought... maybe I'll pass on some of the more expensive books and collect some broadsides instead. And then I saw the prices. Still cheaper than some signed books, but goddamn!

Very nice collection, very nice.

Some of those broadsides, especially "Note on a Workshop Instructor", 20 Tanks, Winter, & Weather Report are pretty pricey. Also, some of the X-Ray broadsides from a few years ago are very expensive. Then there is the never really releases except through drips and drabs broadside "Pastoral", which I have only seen maybe 6 copies sold from the publisher's stash over the past 10 years...

Bill

Ill tell ya though what will make you go mad about broadsides, going to the frame shop! My "Note upon" got the $50 'poster special' (with UV glass). Im still unsure how to deal with their presentation economically. I don't want them just 'filed away' like at the library! You can come pee (if you re a guy) in my guest bathroom anytime and read 'bluebird' in a beautiful green/blue/grey custom frame.

If you sit down in my guest bathroom you can read the BSP flyers 11 and 12 from Bukowski/Crumb books in matching frames! Just underneath a huge Devo touring poster.

Ill tell ya though what will make you go mad about broadsides, going to the frame shop! My "Note upon" got the $50 'poster special' (with UV glass). Im still unsure how to deal with their presentation economically. I don't want them just 'filed away' like at the library! You can come pee (if you re a guy) in my guest bathroom anytime and read 'bluebird' in a beautiful green/blue/grey custom frame.

I would suggest buying a mat cutter on ebay for $60 and doing the matting yourself. It is remarkably easy. Frameshops are a scam. They charge you way too much to cut a mat. Then to add insult to injury, they reuse the inside piece that falls out for a smaller mat, thereby selling your piece to someone else. Mat board is like $6 for a 2' x 3' piece.

Then you can buy nice frames from the dollar store for $3 - $6 a piece, remove the glass and replace with UV glass. in the end, the $50 frame job will cost you $8 - $10. PLUS, you can do your own double mats or get fancy and mat two or three small broadsides in one frame.

Bill

wow wow wow! i see you are a hunter s thompson fan too. did you manage to see the documentary on the gonzo guy? i just watched it the other night and fell in love with ralph steadman all over again.

Oh,right, forgot to mention that one! I wish that was part of the stash, but no... However, I do have an interesting chapbook written by Nicky Drumbolis of Letters Bookshop in Toronto discussing the controversy surrounding the 'Signature'.

I wasn't aware that there was a controversy. Do tell...

Don't know if this is old news, but found this link today that contains the entire copy of the Signatures chapbook that Nicky Drumbolis put togheter:
http://www.archive.org/details/ASignatureOfCharlesBukowskiPoetry

Does anyone have contact infor for Drumbolis?

DSCI4644-1.jpg

Nothing rare here to brag about, but I'm glad I got into Bukowski when BSP were still publishing him. The Ecco knockoffs leave alot to be desired. Although the HC Ecco's that have Bukowski's signature imprint on the front page is a nice touch.

Jason, I tried to download the Nick Drumbolis chapbook but can only do it a page at a time and it comes out in huge print. Is there a way to download it to avoid this and/or do you know where one can buy a copy of it?

Yeah, I remember trying to print that some time ago. It was a pain in the ass. Your printer probably has a "fit to page" setting you can use, but you'll still have to do it one page at a time. I had to reduce the files to print them. I may still have them in one big file in a printable size, I'll have to check.

Thanks--I came up with the idea which has worked before of saving each page to my desktop
and I just tried it and sure enough then they printed fine, though slowly one by one.

I assembled the individual jpgs into one PDF with a cover sheet; perhaps this might help someone else:

Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?16335zt0lghy7pc

(requires Acrobat Reader 9 or later)

7.2 MB

Greetings,
I thought I would share my recent acquisitions from a trip to Seattle last week. I was thrilled to find a copy of The Buk/Purdy letters in very good condition for only ten dollars. That find made the whole trip worth it. I must say that Seattle as a city far exceeded my expectations. I found some great used bookstores that helped to fill in my Buk collection.
Here is a list of what I found:

- Buk/Purdy Letters
- Bring Me Your Love - Ecco
- Pulp - BSP - 1st edition
- Barfly- BSP
- Charles Bukowski- Barry Miles
- Hank -Neeli Cherkovski
- Against the American Dream - Russell Harrison

I almost bought a 2nd copy of The Continual Condition when I found a stack of them at the University Bookstore selling for 9.99. It is the first time I've seen any Bukowski HC titles selling for so cheap.

Anyway, here is an updated pic with these new additions.

Bukowski collection- update-1.jpg

I was thrilled to find a copy of The Buk/Purdy letters in very good condition for only ten dollars. That find made the whole trip worth it.
Congrats. Great deal. Last year I saw a few copies on abe for $50.
I paid 25 euro.

It's definitely a must have collection of correspondance between two like-minded writers. I finished reading it in a day. I wonder how they would have got along, had they met in person?

After browsing this site and discovering that Pleasures of the Damned includes 20 never collected poems, I have decided to get a HC copy off of amazon. In order to get free shipping, I also purchased Shakespeare Never Did This (ECCO). With these books I was .66 cents under for the free shipping option, so after reading the opinions of members of this forum regarding the collection of interviews titled Sunlight Here I am, I added that one to my cart. So within a week or two, I will have three more titles to add to my modest Bukowski collection.

Thanks for your thoughts, Ponder and Bukfan. I would gladly label myself a Buk nut. With the addition of Shakespeare Never Did This, I'm pretty sure that I have all the readily available BSP books(a few being ECCO editions). I used to pass it over in favor of the novels and poetry stuff, but I'm looking forward to reading Bukowski's adventures in Europe as well as enjoying Montfort's photographs. As for Sunlight, I have never read any interviews with Bukowski, so I expect to perhaps see another side of him that isn't revealed in his writing. I hope that the Pleasures HC I ordered will have the transparent overlay that I remember seeing when it first was published. It is an impressive package.

Now it's time for my next Bukowski acquisition to be a signed edition of one of his books. Which one I am not sure of yet. I'm leaning towards a copy of Crucifix. Would love to get a copy of It Catches... but it is just not within my budget. Ideally I'd like to find a book that includes his signature as well as a doodle. I'm enjoying the search.

Here is my collection. Keep in mind that I'm just beginning to delve into the rarer and more obscure stuff.

POETRY

Poems Written before Jumping out of an 8-Story Window, Litmus 2nd Pressing (1975)
The Days Run away like Wild Horses over the Hills (ECCO)
Mockingbird, Wish Me Luck (ECCO)
Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame: Selected Poems, 1955-1973 (ECCO)
Love Is a Dog from Hell: Poems, 1974-1977 (ECCO)
Play the Piano Drunk like a Percussion Instrument until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit
Dangling in the Tournefortia (ECCO)
War All the Time: Poems 1981-1984 (ECCO)
You Get so Alone at Times That It Just Makes Sense, (ECCO)
The Last Night of the Earth Poems (ECCO)
Bone Palace Ballet: New Poems (ECCO)
What Matters Most Is How Well You Walk through the Fire (ECCO)
Sifting Through the Madness for the Line, the Word, the Way (ECCO)
Slouching Toward Nirvana (1st Hardcover)
Slouching Toward Nirvana (ECCO Softcover)
The People Look like Flowers at Last (ECCO)
The Pleasures of the Damned: Poems 1951-1993
The Continual Condition (ECCO)

NOVELS

Post Office
Factotum
Women
Ham on Rye
Pulp

PROSE/SHORT STORIES/OTHER

The Captain Is out to Lunch and the Sailors Have Taken over the Ship (ECCO)
Hot Water Music
Run with the Hunted: A Charles Bukowski Reader
Screams from the Balcony: Selected Letters 1960-1970
Betting on the Muse: Poems & Stories
Charles Bukowski: Laughing with the Gods (Sun Dog Press 1st Edition)
More Notes of a Dirty Old Man
Portions From a Wine-Stained Notebook
Charles Bukowski: by Howard Sounes
Charles Bukowski's Scarlet by Pamela Wood
Loving & Hating Charles Bukowski by Linda King (1st Edition; Signed)
++Against the American Dream: Essays on Charles Bukowski by Russel Harrison (Black Sparrow; 1998)
++Drinking With Bukowski
++1994 New Years Greeting: Between The Earthquake, The Volcano, and the Leopard

Novels
Post Office
Factotum
Women
Ham On Rye
Hollywood
Pulp

Collections
Notes of a Dirty Old Man
The Most Beautiful Woman In Town and Other Stories