Powells bookstore? (1 Viewer)

Has anyone ever looked through/gotten anything from this online store? they seem to have some pretty cool buk stuff just wondering if it was as good as it appears.

Hi,
It is a wonderland. I have even had luck getting them to carry a couple of my titles. I know that Rekrab shops there, too!

Bill

It appeared to be a wonderland. glad to here it lives up to this appearance. I stumbled across an advertisement for it on a web mag i was submitting to, and did a buk search, very pleased with the results.

Unfortunately (and hopefully David can weigh in on this..) but I believe POWELL'S (at least in Oregon) is closing... Which is SAD to see...
I guess they need to make room for another Starbucks or Dollar Store, god knows we don't have enough of those.............

you are right...
and it's a SHAME.
Many of us have uncovered some GEMS browsing the old used bookstores (for me DAY IT SNOWED, UK hardcovers from Allen, and a number of others, all under 20 bucks!).
The worst part of losing something 'good' is when they replace an interesting old TAVERN or bookstore with the dollar stores and Starbucks, a lot of the big cities continue to get blander as the years go by...

Enter the internet; exit the independent book seller...
Enter the internet, exit all kinds of good and interesting things. They are replaced by different interesting things, and increased communication, but for all of the gains there are definitely losses.

I have to admit that I can find a lot more of what I want on the internet. The problem is the stuff that you don't know you want. There is nothing like standing in front of a wall of books that you've never heard of (or a rack full of indie/lit mags and zines) and pulling out something that looks or sounds interesting...

Has anyone ever looked through/gotten anything from this online store? they seem to have some pretty cool buk stuff just wondering if it was as good as it appears.

I live in Beaverton and work in Portland. I stop at Powells(no kidding, everyday). I've found some pretty cool stuff, and some of that stuff I got really cheep.
They have three major stores, But downtown is the biggest, bigger than any library i've ever been to. The building used to be a used car dealership. It's a full city block, in lenth and width, and there are four levels of books, and books, and books. The rare book room up top is about the size of your local indy bookstore.
It's HUGE!!!

So IS the downtown location closing?? Which one is FINI?
Your description sounds great, a bookstore I'd be pleased to visit. I really hope that's not the location that is closing.... (but I have a sense it is)
:(

Wow, Powell's is closing? That's the first I've heard that. My daughter worked there until about 6 months ago. She wasn't aware of anything like that, but who knows, maybe a decision was made after she left. I go there about once a month. It's an hour drive from my home. I've been a Powell's customer since the early 1970s, when it was a small, one room place in an old storefront down by the river in Portland. Now it's a huge, fabulous store in a massive building -- the main store, I mean. Nirvana for booklovers. I always check their Bukowski stock (main stacks, not the rare book room, which I've only been in once), and have been doing so all along. I've seen it change from small press chapbooks at low prices (now rare and expensive), through Black Sparrow Press and into Ecco. They have always stocked lots of Buk. He sells and they are not dummies. I hope it's not true about them closing. What a loss for Portland, for Oregon even. Tell me it isn't true!

David, please correct me if I'm wrong...
I thought you told me they were CLOSING? You were doing a final reading there, etc... Do I have the bookstore confused????

theeffects: Yes, it's Jackson's Books, in Salem, that's closing. That's the one I told you about. How surreal, that I'm the source of a rumor that I'm later shocked to hear! Glad it's NOT Powells! Pheeyew!

I have to admit that I can find a lot more of what I want on the internet. The problem is the stuff that you don't know you want. There is nothing like standing in front of a wall of books that you've never heard of (or a rack full of indie/lit mags and zines) and pulling out something that looks or sounds interesting...
That's exactly how I discovered B, standing in a cramped corner of a tiny bookstore, the "poetry section," reaching for an unknown name towards the beginning of the alphabet. Out popped "Sifting through the madness...". The rest is mystory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back