Presentation copies art (1 Viewer)

zoom man

Founding member
Does anyone agree that Buk saved his best 'original signed paintings'
For the Presentation Copies?!?!
It would make sense to me, But I just don't know how that all woked.

I have only one Presentation Copy,
But it's from the 80's so just a signed print, I think... christ, have to get it sent to me (still on the road) and take a look-see. I think it's even the same print that was included in the non-presentation copies.
Anyway, have a chance to buy a great Presentation Copy pre 80's and just wanting some info. The seller won't send me a copy/pic of the painting (understandable) but I've been assured somewhere that the best were saved for just such copies...
And no, I don't think Buk was a great artist, but this would be my first with an original painting in it, and I want it to be a good one... and when he was on with paint man, he was on.
(I may be getting this notion that the 'best were saved for these' from Vicarious in NY but it's not him I'm looking to buy this).
Ok guys, thanks for any and all input

Ya know, zoom man, I don't think that's necessarily the case. Most of the titles in my collection are either presentation or lettered copies and the quality of the artwork is surprisingly uneven. The painting in my presentation copy of Ham on Rye is downright ordinary. One of these days, I'd like to find out whether or not there was a criteria for marrying the paintings to the books. I've seen many, many examples in my collecting career and I'm not entirely convinced that the premium copies received any special treatment whatsoever.

Regardless, if I were you, I would NEVER, EVER lay out the kind of money you are probably looking at for the book being offered to you without seeing a pic of the painting first. Why would not wanting to forward a pic be understandable? It's insane to buy blind. Just my opinion.

Does anyone agree that Buk saved his best 'original signed paintings'
For the Presentation Copies?!?!
It would make sense to me, But I just don't know how that all woked.

(Ok, self-important or what?, quoting myself et al. :rolleyes: )
But really,
Were these Presentation copies made for him to dole out?
Were they really in his possession? and could he choose the art to include?

Clueless in Georgia

One of these days, I'd like to find out whether or not there was a criteria for marrying the paintings to the books..

Thanks Mark,
For whittling down my air-bagged rambling to the essential question...
That's exactly what I wanted to know
In one sentence.

BTW,
The seller said the book is 'like new' and opening it up to scan or photo the painting is a bad idea.
Yeah, I know, 3/4 of you here wouldn't want such a book
But man, I want it just to open it up and see it for myself
(and share with you all).

Were these Presentation copies made for him to dole out?
Were they really in his possession? and could he choose the art to include?
The painting would have gone in before the book got to Bukowski, so he wouldn't know which painting would go in which copy. I think Black Sparrow also doled out some "presentation copies" - they did not all go to Bukowski.

But I would agree with nymark. Most of the really good paintings I've seen were not in presentation copies. I think BS had a stack of paintings and they glued them into the books randomly. I haven't seen any rhyme or reason to it.

...opening it up to scan or photo the painting is a bad idea.

Fuck him. I can see how putting it on a scanner would be a TERRIBLE idea, but opening it to get a pic shouldn't be a problem. Tell him you want either a pic or a no-questions-asked money back guarantee.

The painting would have gone in before the book got to Bukowski, so he wouldn't know which painting would go in which copy. I think Black Sparrow also doled out some "presentation copies" - they did not all go to Bukowski.

How depressing...:(
Oh well,
It was a great notion that Buk earned these books
(chosen art and all)
To do with as he pleased.

Maybe I'll just pretend I never learned all this
And live in the Vicarious Stratosphere :D .
That versus John Martin's reality at the time,....
Nah, never mind.
Lettered and Presentations for me
(and yes, still starving :D )

Will share when I receive.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back