proper introduction (1 Viewer)

Hi,
After a tumultuous start with my Tony O'Neill post, here's a formal introduction.

I am a writer from Long Beach, California. I have a blog and I like cats.

Someone mentioned I should say something about Bukowski, so here goes...

I got into Buk through John Fante (or should I say, reading John Fante). Like Buk, Fante is my god. I don't think there's another prose writer who can match him.

That said, Buk's poetry is second to none. I like my creativity to be direct, to the point, bullshit free. That's what I get from him that I don't get from most poetry. I couldn't care less about the birds and the trees and all that nonsense we're forced to read in high school. Give me the real shit.

That's all. Thanks for having me.

Welcome and thank you for a top notch example of a proper introduction. You can't bump heads unless you both have your heads in the same place. So ultimately you made a friend.
I like cats too, but the corgi hates them out of fear.

Hi,

snip: I have a blog and I like cats...snip...Give me the real shit.

That's all. Thanks for having me.

I like cats, too. For real. I'm married to one.

Welcome to slaughterhouse seven.

Great to have you hear; oops, I'm listening too hard...what's your fave Buk?

Pax,

homeless mind

welcome.
I have 2 cats and one dog. and a rotating goldfish.

enjoy the forum.

Thanks for all the kind words.

My fav Buk...wow. For today, let's go with a toss-up between Ham on Rye or Post Office for prose and Bluebird for poetry.

I almost hate saying Bluebird is my favorite because I know lots of people who don't read all that often and that's their favorite too. But I can't help it. That's a goddamn great poem.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that my grandfather is buried at the same place as Buk. I've yet to see Buk's grave, but I'd like to think they're both on that hill drinking and blowing money they don't have on stuff they don't need.

I am working on a novel and could use some help. There's a chapter posted on my blog (http://jimhallsleepsallday.blogspot.com) and I'd love for some Buk fans to let me know what they think. And yes, I suppose this is spam, haha.

Thanks again.

Welcome aboard, Jim! - Yes, The Bluebird is a great poem. It's one of my favorite Buk poems!

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't care less about the birds and the trees and all that nonsense we're forced to read in high school. Give me the real shit.

I almost hate saying Bluebird is my favorite because I know lots of people who don't read all that often and that's their favorite too. But I can't help it. That's a goddamn great poem.

"There's a Bluebird in my heart..."

Funny about that... I agree with both your statements, even if they do seem contradictory.

He just nailed it, didn't he?

Indeed he did. He couldn't care less about the birds - unless it's The Bluebird! :D

HA!

I didn't even notice how I contradicted myself there, but thankfully you got the point.

It's like saying Pet Sounds is your favorite record or the Beatles or Coltrane your favorite artists -- sometimes the cream does rise to the top and you can't let a bunch of jackasses deter you from greatness.

And there sure are a lot of jackasses.

"wipe 'em down with gasoline, 'till his arms are ha..."

Welcome to the forum. I post infrequently, or as the employment schedule and liquor store hours permit.

Suppose some of the jack-asses decide that you're great.

There's a Jack in the poem "Jack" ("Open All Night", page 151) who thinks he's great, .."who thinks he's a genius..who overrates his potential..who screams about his unrecognized talent"..etc.etc. - "A world full of Jacks sliding down the beanstalk". :D

Funny, A woman I work with just had a Jack born into the fold. Her brother and sister-in-law are insisting on this name(FULL name, not a nick name). Both sides of the family are up-in-arms over it!:eek:CRB

In a way I can understand the families. It's a bit weird to give a child a nick name as it's real name, I think, although it's done all the time. I would name him John and then call him Jack. That way he has a real name he can use later on if he so wishes.
It could've been worse, I suppose. They could've named him Jimbo...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back