Question about bukowski poetry books (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there.

My name is Henry. Just joined the site so I could ask a few specific questions.

For all Bukowski poetry books , I have read on a Bukowski fan website something to do with only certain poetry books being good quality because they were unedited. After Bukowski died John Martin created future poetry books but not only edited some of these poems for content but also the lines are out of place creating lost meaning.

Can anyone verify this? The person on the website suggests avoiding these like the plaque. Does anyone else agree or disagree?

The reputable Bukowski poetry books according to the website mentioned in publishing order are:

The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over The Hills - 1969
Mockingbird Wish Me Luck - 1972
Burning In Water Drowning In Flame - 1974
Love Is A Dog From Hell - 1977
Play The Piano Drunk Like A Percussion Instrument Until The Fingers Bleed A Bit - 1979
Dangling In The Tournefortia - 1981
War All The Time - 1984
You Get So Alone At Times That It Just Makes Sense - 1986
The Rooming House Madrigals - 1988
Septuagenarian Stew - 1990
The Last Night Of The Earth Poems - 1992
Betting On The Muse - 1996

Any other Bukowski poetry books not mentioned above published after those dates are apparently not true Bukowski poems. Thoughts?

My second question is this. My favourite poem is Roll The Dice. I know it appears in one of his later published poetry books but does anyone know if Roll The Dice appears in any of the titles mentioned above?

Is there a forum post or website listing all the poem titles for all of his books?

Last question. So I don't waste my money , for future Bukowski poetry books not mentioned above are any of his poems reprinted in order to have some filler to sell the book easier to the general public ?

Thanks!

only certain poetry books being good quality because they were unedited.
I don't think that's what that article was saying. No one claims the earlier books are "unedited," just that the posthumous ones were tragically edited.
does anyone know if Roll The Dice appears in any of the titles mentioned above? Is there a forum post or website listing all the poem titles for all of his books? [...] are any of his poems reprinted [...]?
There's a "Search for poems" link at the top of this page. Everything you want to know is there, just take a few minutes to look around.

Got search working. I guess it is only in the What Matters Most Is How Well You Move Through The Fire .

Besides that any thoughts on my inquiry for the poetry novels published after his death after Betting On The Muse?

I guess it is only in the What Matters Most Is How Well You Move Through The Fire .
Incorrect (title and conclusion). Look at the search results page again.
Besides that any thoughts on my inquiry for the poetry novels published after his death after Betting On The Muse?
Yes, I would say stay away from those poetry novels. I might even go so far as to say that they should be avoided like the hantavirus. The ones listed there on that fan site as "the dirty dozen."

Otherwise the recent Ecco and City Lights releases are fine. John Martin does not edit Bukowski's work anymore. So we're more or less talking about the books on that list.

Thank you that helps. I bought a copy of Love Is A Dog From Hell but does not list who edited it anywhere but I guess if you say anything from Ecco is okay .

I don't know why you say that my conclusion that Roll The Dice is not just in What Matters Most instead of just telling me what book it's in. The search result was a pain in the ass . Gave me a whole bunch of results and that means clicking on every single search result to figure it out but I appreciate the reply and other information provided.

I have been trying to go into book stores to look at the poems list at the front but a lot of book stores in my area do not carry them in store only online.

I've tried google search for it but no luck. I'll keep trying other searches .

It's funny how it's better to be cryptic than to easily help someone out if they know the answer. Excuse the fuck out of me for asking.

But if this how you view my request I can't change your viewpoint I can only vent my frustration.

Dude, I said "we've all become."

Don't wrap your panties in a knot. If you tried getting an answer to that question 20 years ago, you'd be in a library for a week.

And please dude, there is only one poem result for that poem. You probably don't know this, but Bukowski used poem names more than once and sometimes his editor changed the poem name. And even if his editor didn't change the name, he changed the poem. So what's in that database took a long time to put together.

FYI: Scott Harrison's broadside was left out of the search results -- perhaps on purpose.

I guess if you say anything from Ecco is okay .
That is not what I said.
I don't know why you say that my conclusion that Roll The Dice is not just in What Matters Most instead of just telling me what book it's in.
Because it was right there in front of you in the search results.

You didn't pay attention to the original article you read, you didn't search this forum to see if the subject was already being discussed (which it is), you didn't pay attention to the answers to your questions, or to what was right in front of your eyes in the database search results...so there's no point in answering you any further.

And really, as a psychic [Link is no longer active. -ed.], you should have seen this coming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back