Question About Paper Quality for Promo Flyers, etc. (1 Viewer)

I'm wondering about the paper that was used for BSP flyers, announcements and prospectus (prospecti?) to announce various Buk books. Is the paper of similar quality to that used in the books? I'd like to lay some of these into first editions and I'm concerned about yellowing. These "announcements" vary in paper type from the high-quality prospectus to the large postcard-sized item to BSP catalogues to the paper-thin announcement such as those used for Bring Me Your Love. I don't have enough of these to know if there are more variations.

Any thoughts?

The ones that I posted last week were nice quality paper, very similar to the paper that was used for the paperback sovers. Looks like Canson Mi-Teintes. Almost certainly acid free. I would feel safe putting them in a book. If you want extra protection, maybe buy some thin acetate and slipsheet it with that?

Bill

I don't have any of the announcements myself, but I know the mid-period and later catalogs and other mailing-type stuff was printed on normal paper, not archival. The letterpressed stuff like Bill posted is different. I wouldn't think twice about putting something like your Days Run Away card into a fist of the book.

Thanks; I was rather hoping that they were all printed on acid-free paper, but just looking at the two for Bring Me Your Love and There's No Business suggests that the paper is inferior to many of the other BSP items.

You could get some of those mylar sleeves they use for comic books and put them in the books enclosed in the sleeves.

I tuck away all my chapbooks and vintage paperbacks in mylar. Mylar sleeves cut for paperbacks are perfect for books like All the Assholes.... and Cold Dogs in the Courtyard. Wormwoods, also. I believe they also have sheets that would suit what PS is looking for: http://www.bcemylar.com/. Stuffs not cheap but I'm a complete OCD mess when it comes to condition and preservation.

The ones that I posted last week were nice quality paper, very similar to the paper that was used for the paperback sovers. Looks like Canson Mi-Teintes. Almost certainly acid free.
If it is Canson Mi-Tientes it is acid free. Curious paper to print on as it has a pronounced "dot" surface, something that I would have thought would have been unsuitable for offset litho...

I can pretty easily print laser on Canson Mi-Teintes paper (and i almost always print on the rough "dot" side). For letterpress, it is AMAZING. Most of the recent books from BoSP are printed on it. I printed the covers last night for the upcoming book from Carol Es on Canson Mi-Teintes Azure and it came out really nice.

I am pretty sure that offset, inkjet, laser, letterpress all print well on this paper.

that being said, many of the early Black Sparrow fliers were printed letterpress.

Bill

a pronounced "dot" surface, something that I would have thought would have been unsuitable for offset litho...
Small offset presses (like those that would print this kind of stuff) transfer ink to the paper from a rubber blanket, so while the texture of the paper does make a difference, the rubber surface is very forgiving.

Small offset presses (like those that would print this kind of stuff) transfer ink to the paper from a rubber blanket,

Hence "offset" - yes, not clear on that. Sorry. I only know about direct stone lithography. Relief printing (letterpress, woodcut etc.) wouldn't have a significant problem with texture as the pressure would force the ink on to the paper, low-pressure printing methods (such as traditional stone lithography) would be more likely be disrupted by heavy paper texture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back