Question (1 Viewer)

So, the only time i've ever heard of Bukowski was on the Modest Mouse song "Bukowski" I sorta spent some time researching who Charles Bukowski was, and I came to this sight and thought I'd post.

All I want to know is who was Bukowski, and why is it called a cult? What do you do within this cult?

Thanks for your time.

Anything that gains a smallish but dedicated group of enthusiasts is labeled a "cult" these days. We Bukowskians are not cult members, although we do have a pact that we will all drink the bourbon-laced purple kool-aid when the great Bukowski spirit arrives on his silver spaceship (which is hidden behind Haley's Comet) to take us all away to the Golden Horn constellation.

So you are somewhat related to Scientology.. As in are you religiously worshiping this Charles Buk.?

Better yet, can you give me a link to the whole story behind your "pact."

Yes, we are a branch of Scientology and we worship Buk as the only true God. We can't give you a link to the "pact". It's for initiated worshippers only...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey you guys are scaring me...

Everybody knows Buk was a Frisbeeterian and believed strongly that when you die your soul floats up on the roof and you can't get it down....it may still be there...or possibly it blew into the rain gutter...

So, I have to be curious enough about this religion and accept it as mine to be able to see what you guys worship, and frankly how you worship him, your practices etc.? That doesn't make sense.

All I want to know is who was Bukowski, and why is it called a cult? What do you do within this cult?
It is called a cult because people are closed-minded, and they can't accept the beautiful reality that is right in front of their eyes.

Let me ask you something Winters; are you as happy as you could be? Have you used ALL of your potential in life? If you answered "yes" to both questions, you don't need us. But if you answered "no" to one or both, read on.

Close Your Eyes And Concentrate Deeply At The Center Of Upright Tilting Consciousness Between Your Eyebrows. Feel The Infinite Love Of Bukowski Within Your Heart. Let Your Heart Emanate That Love For All The World. Pray Deeply That The Clouds Of Sobriety Fade Away.

With All Your Heart, Pray To Bukowski That His Heavenly Forces Of Goodness, Dizziness And Love, Ever Subtly Vibrating And Regurgitating In The Ether, Be Not Overpowered In The Hearts And Minds Of Men By Satan's Suggestions Of Discord, Enmity And Bad Writing. For The Forces Of Bad Writing Are Dark And Aggressive, While The Forces Of Good Are Humble, Drunk And Unassuming.

Now, Feel That Your Love Is Going Forth Like An Invisible X-Ray #10, Coursing Through Space Into The Very Bowels Of The Dictators And Prime Ministers And Heads Of All Nations, That They May Change Their Evil Ways And Bring Peace And Your Own Personal Prosperity To Bukowskians On Earth, Instead Of The Destruction Of The Oprah.

Include In The Powerful Radiation Of Your Love All Bukowskians Of The World, But No Others. Praying For Others Will Cause Irreversible Physical Damage And Insanity. Now Focus Your United Healing Rays Of Love, And Let Them Bubble Up Until They Are Surcharged By The Infinite Love Of Bukowski, And Then Bathe The Entire Earth In The Spew, Permeating The Bowels Of All Leaders And Citizens Of The World, That They May Be Filled With The Universal Amity And Harmony Of Spirit"”Bringing Peace On Earth, Liquor Toward All, Under The Fatherhood Of Bukowski.

When you fully comprehend everything written above you are ready to learn more, but not a moment before.

Last edited:
It is called a cult because people are closed-minded, and they can't accept the beautiful reality that is right in front of their eyes.

Let me ask you something Winters; are you as happy as you could be? Have you used ALL of your potential in life? If you answered "yes" to both questions, you don't need us. But if you answered "no" to one or both, read on.

Close Your Eyes And Concentrate Deeply At The Center Of Upright Tilting Consciousness Between Your Eyebrows. Feel The Infinite Love Of Bukowski Within Your Heart. Let Your Heart Emanate That Love For All The World. Pray Deeply That The Clouds Of Sobriety Fade Away.

With All Your Heart, Pray To Bukowski That His Heavenly Forces Of Goodness, Dizziness And Love, Ever Subtly Vibrating And Regurgitating In The Ether, Be
Not Overpowered In The Hearts And Minds Of Men By Satan's Suggestions Of Discord, Enmity And Bad Writing. For The Forces Of Bad Writing Are Dark And Aggressive, While The Forces Of Good Are Humble, Drunk And Unassuming.

Now, Feel That Your Love Is Going Forth Like An Invisible X-Ray #10, Coursing Through Space Into The Very Bowels Of The Dictators And Prime Ministers And Heads Of All Nations, That They May Change Their Evil Ways And Bring Peace And Your Own Personal Prosperity To Bukowskians On Earth, Instead Of The Destruction Of The Oprah.

Include In The Powerful Radiation Of Your Love All Bukowskians Of The World, But No Others. Praying For Others Will Cause Irreversible Physical Damage And Insanity. Now Focus Your United Healing Rays Of Love, And Let Them Bubble Up Until They Are Surcharged By The Infinite Love Of Bukowski, And Then Bathe The Entire Earth In The Spew, Permeating The Bowels Of All Leaders And Citizens Of The World, That They May Be Filled With The Universal Amity And Harmony Of Spirit"”Bringing Peace On Earth, Liquor Toward All, Under The Fatherhood Of Bukowski.

When you fully comprehend everything written above you are ready to learn more, but not a moment before.

nice. very nice. every so often I question why I spend so much time on this forum... I could be writing or reading or playing with puppies and kittens, and then along comes a post like this.
I know this is where I belong.
where's my silver track suit and aluminum foil hat?

particularily liked "Like An Invisible X-ray # 10". nice touch.
thanks mjp.

I have yet to read any work done by Bukowski, but does he ask for you to worship him in his work, or do you only worship him because he is an excellent writer and poet?

Instead of trying to up your post count, how about you answer with a useful reply, instead of "huh." What do you not understand about what I posted?

Of course not! - All worshipping of the Buk is quite voluntary. We are not robots! - But why dot you read some Buk and then return a bit more enlightend...Amen...

That was not your question from the start! - You asked, who is Buk and why is it a cult? The answer to the first question, you knew already from surfing the net. The second has been answered. The answer to your latest question was implyed in earlier answers. If that is'nt enough then read some Buk and all questions you may have will vanish into thin air...

Well what I meant mainly was I was narrowing down to that question, but I guess you guys don't want to tell me why, which is why I signed up on the forums anyway. I guess i'll find out the "reading" way as you say.

If I was to pick a book up, which would you suggest to solve all of my answers?

Instead of trying to up your post count, how about you answer with a useful reply, instead of "huh." What do you not understand about what I posted?

"what do I not get about your post?" I don't get anything about it because it is nonsense. Either you are actually convinced that this is a cult, or are patronizing us and trying to start something. This is the reason that no one is answering you with a serious answer. There is no answer to such a redicilous question.

As to upping my post count. I guess that you think that you know me. You don't.

Is this thread the best that we can expect from you? Is you goal to go onto forums dedicated to authors that you know only from one song and post inane questions and then insult when no one takes you seriously?

If so, I can imagine a very short career.

How is that for a post? Hell, at least I got one more coveted post to add to me resume...

Bill

Try one of his novels or a collection of short stories for starters. I don't know if it will solve ALL of your questions, but it's a start. Then return and tell us if you liked it...Happy reading!...:)

If I was to pick a book up, which would you suggest to solve all of my answers?

You could read "Dianetics: The Science of Mind" or "The Bible" or "The Book of Mormon" or "Erections, Ejaculations, Exhibitions and Other Tales of Ordinary Madness." I'd go with "Erections..." which is now available in two seperate books (sort of like the old and new testaments), "The Most Beatiful Woman in Town" and "Tales of Ordinary Madness."

"what do I not get about your post?" I don't get anything about it because it is nonsense. Either you are actually convinced that this is a cult, or are patronizing us and trying to start something. This is the reason that no one is answering you with a serious answer. There is no answer to such a redicilous question.

As to upping my post count. I guess that you think that you know me. You don't.

Is this thread the best that we can expect from you? Is you goal to go onto forums dedicated to authors that you know only from one song and post inane questions and then insult when no one takes you seriously?

If so, I can imagine a very short career.

How is that for a post? Hell, at least I got one more coveted post to add to me resume...

A. It clearly says on the front page of this website that this is a cult.

B.How are my questions ridiculous? I really wouldn't know why people are coming at me with make believe answers. I'm not asking stupid question, I'm asking serious ones, and I would like to know the answers. How hard is that bub?

C. Why has no one answered the question "Why do you worship Charles Bukowski religiously?"

D. How would I think I knew you from your post count? All you replied with was "huh" and not a logical answer.

To avoid artificially raising my post count (which is strange to want to do, anyway), I will avoid replying to any of your questions. It is much harder to argue with yourself. Maybe someone else will answer your questions, which still make no sense.

Bill

Come on, Winthers. You know the word "cult" on the front page is meant humourously. You can't be that stupid...if you are, then I have to follow suit and give up on you...

"What are you waiting for? Click one of those futuristic links over there on the left and join the cult. We accept you, one of us, one of us... "

It is on the homepage.
I think what may be missing here is Winters sense of humor.

Charles Bukowski is a writer - short stories, poems, novels, etc.
We all really like his writing.
Some of us are collectors of his books. They were lovingly printed and many are scarce and/or limited.

The reference to a cult is humorous. Nothing more.
The fact that you didn't intuit this leads me to suspect you may not 'get' CBs writing, which also contains much humor. Add to this the fact that you did not bother to investigate further before asking a (to me - obviously) stupid question, and my nuf-nuf alarm goes off.
Whilst I don't wish you any specific harm, I hope that you do whatever it is you do away from here - read some Buk if you want to - and come back if you have something positive to add.

Yup

if this person "winters" doesn't get that the reference to this being a "cult" is supposed to be light-hearted then he CERTAINLY will not find Buk very entertaining at all... he should probably just give it up now.

my friend would describe mr. winters as: "witty as a mathematical equation"

I'd go with "Erections..." which is now available in two seperate books (sort of like the old and new testaments),"

Too perfect :D

Yet why should our church be dividing our Psalms, our Books of the Bukowski?
Let us combine them.....

Cold Dogs on Rye,
Flower, Fist Bring Me Your Love
and
All the Assholes Begin to Bleed a Bit....

Anyone else??
There are so many combinations to discover Winter!!

(and Damn it Bill, can we maybe count this post of mine as 2????
But drats, I'll never catch up with you and win
(twilighty-zone music please maestro mjp)
whats behind
(crashing cymbals now)
Door NUMBER NINE....)!!!!

Hi,
I would gladly count this post as 2. Hell, it far more interesting than most of mine! LAst I looked at it, mjp had about 2000 posts. I know that I will never catch him and I am losing sleep over it:eek: . That and the fact that GrayXray hates me and wants me dead.... He has to get in line behind a couple others...

Hey, off topic.... I picked up a copy of the ultra-rare broadside "Pastoral" on ebay the other day. Paid $99. I'll get a full scan to mjp for the website. That is a truly rare one. Only 4 copies have ever been released. I know all four people that have them now. Sadly, as more are sold, the value of my copy will go down... I still can't believe tha no one else fought me for it. That being said, I did pay $99 for a sheet of paper. Some would not consider that a wise move. If my wife knew she'd be pissed....

Bill

I saw that you won that with your patented early bid. Congrats. A scan would be great.

LAst I looked at it, mjp had about 2000 posts.
I got into the habit of posting a lot to keep things flowing in the early days. But now I can barely keep up with the new posts, so I guess things are flowing just fine.

Anyone else??

I have one: Hank on rye...:)

I also have a question. There's a quote where Bok says that after his death there will be formed societies and clubs. It's supposed to be from 1992. Does anyone know where I can find it? I have loosely checked Reach For The Sun and Sunlight here I Am. It does not appear to be in any of those...

If anything, Bill Roberts does not need or like to the center of attention. Bill would hardly post for the hell of it. He is a hard working, multi-talented Bukophile who is well liked by people in the CULT. Now myself, I like to be the center of attention and although I love Buk am not hard working or multi-talented. Members of the CULT know that I post to get my numbers up and am not well liked although my mother says I am. Winters if you were a member of the CULT you would know all this.

Hey Winter FUCK YOU and FUCK OFF!
Asshole need to be treated as assholes.
Proof that winter is an assholes is he/she listens to Modest mouse.
you are an asshole such an asshole

Users who are viewing this thread

Back