Quoting posts (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjp

Founding member
I've noticed that a lot of people lately are quoting the post right before their response. That isn't really necessary. The quote is usually used if you're responding to something earlier in the thread, or only a portion of the preceding post.

This isn't a big deal, of course, I just think the unnecessary quotes make the threads harder to follow. Your mileage may vary.

I've noticed that a lot of people lately are quoting the post right before their response. That isn't really necessary. The quote is usually used if you're responding to something earlier in the thread, or only a portion of the preceding post.

This isn't a big deal, of course, I just think the unnecessary quotes make the threads harder to follow. Your mileage may vary.

That's true.

:D

Knock it off. The Corgi likes things neat and orderly like a well managed herd.

We will cut the sick stragglers from the herd.

i don't really notice this happening much here on buk.net, but it's a HUGE problem on this other forum i belong to: it's an immigration forum, and people will uselessly and annoyingly quote the last post, then the next person will quote them plus whatever was in their post, and so on, till the newest posts contain about 20 paragraphs of pointless quotes. the reason it's a pain is because that forum is purely for information-gaining, and trying to search through threads for any important and useful stuff is so frustrating.

That's true.

Absotively! :p

You were supposed to say "posilutely!"

Now we're gonna have to start over.

No shit Sherlock.

As opposed to other comings you should have seen?:D

i don't really notice this happening much here on buk.net, but it's a HUGE problem on this other forum i belong to: it's an immigration forum, and people will uselessly and annoyingly quote the last post, then the next person will quote them plus whatever was in their post, and so on, till the newest posts contain about 20 paragraphs of pointless quotes. the reason it's a pain is because that forum is purely for information-gaining, and trying to search through threads for any important and useful stuff is so frustrating.

I couldn't agree more.

One technique to avoid this might be THE PARTIAL QUOTE, where you isolate the specific/key phrase in a previous post by eliminating the extraneous bullshit with ....snip....

Another helpful suggestion would be (and tell me if this sounds familiar mjp), avoiding the 2,3,or 4 successive posts that could be condensed into ONE !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back