R.I.P. Dennis Hopper (1 Viewer)

hoochmonkey9

Art should be its own hammer.
Reaper Crew
Founding member
just read that Hopper died.

Dennis-Hopper.jpg

one of the last great Hollywood weirdos. I may watch Apocalypse Now Redux tonight. he was good and weird in that. well, who wasn't?

shitty! he was so great.

i just saw this the other day, seems fitting:

[This video is unavailable.]

He was not quite, but still quite enough.
I lift my glass in memory.
RIP

Maybe Bukowski didn't like the guy, but he certainly played some great and weird roles so well...

RIP

He was truly gifted for the odd. Here he is in David Lynch "Blue Velvet"

and a shot of Dennis, as Billy, in Easy Rider, which he directed.

11548520_gal.jpg

Hooch - that is one beautiful photo of him. Thanks for digging that up.

R.I.P Dennis Hopper.

...and then sometimes, he'll just walk right up to you and say "Did you know that IF is the middle word in LIFE ? He's a genius. The man's a genius...

Very sad.

Frank Booth was one of his greatest characters ever. But he had many. He even added some (much needed) fun and madness to Waterworld.

I met Hopper when he was making the movie Backtrack in 1989 or 90 (along with Jodie Foster, Dean Stockwell and Joe Pesci - though Pesci only worked for a day). He was a solid guy, friendly, never condescending or idiotic, like many of them can be. Everything was funny to him, and he just seemed to believe he had the world's greatest job. Very wicked self-deprecating sense of humor, and he could size someone up in the first 15 seconds of talking to them. He was an observer, and he brought all of himself (and his weird ideas) to his work.

They don't make actors like him (and Gary Coleman?) anymore. When they're all gone the entire movie landscape is going to be different. Who can replace them? Ben Stiller? Seth Rogen? Matt Damon? Sure.

And he wanted to star in Barfly, right? Would have been a different version from Mickey Rourke's.
After reading "Christ With Barbeque Sauce" the first time, I thought back to the ending of "Easy Rider" when the "hippies" are killed. VERY similar to Buk's story, written around the same time as the film. Also, I think Hopper was in the circle of people around Wallace Berman who edited Semina in Venice in the Fifties and to which Buk contributed some of his writing. So many Hopper connections...

I was thinking about how they say they go in 3's..... if you count Dio, then there were 3 notable celebrity deaths in less than 30 days.

well, I had never even heard the guys name before, till I read he died last week, so he didn't come to mind.

And he wanted to star in Barfly, right? Would have been a different version from Mickey Rourke's.
No! Dennis Hopper wanted to direct it (he was too old to play young Chinaski!) and it was Sean Penn who was supposed to embody Chinaski in his project. If I remember correctly, Buk would have liked to see Sean Penn starring in the film but he remained faithful to Barbet Shroeder, who wanted Rourke and no one else.

there's a story, which I really hope is true, that Hopper pissed John Wayne off so much on the set of True Grit that Wayne chased Hopper around with a loaded gun.

have I mentioned I hate John Wayne? I have? my mistake....

hooch, I don't recall ya saying ya hated John Wayne, so no mistake! Ha, never liked John Wayne either and I've been searching for my copy of all around the house and can't find it! I think as a kid, that may have been the first film I've seen Hopper in, and he was quite good in it!

Probably fitting for another thread. I recall Hopper on (Carson/Letterman maybe) I think regretting that his drug use preventing him from leaving a greater body of work of which he could be proud.

It got me to thinking which artists movies music or books are living off who they were rather than who they are-or better which ones are still reinventing.
For the first
Paul McCartney (but not Ringo)
The remaining Doors
David Bowie

For the latter
Bob Dylan
Joni Mitchell
Iggy Pop
Neil Young
Van Morrison

Mods feel free to move or delete.

and now Rue McClanahan, geez, what is this world coming to, lets see, corey haim, ronnie james dio, gary coleman, dennis hopper, and the guy from slipknot, so that's five. and let us not forget brett michaels has almost died what, like 4 times this year. there is all of that and it's almost been a year since michael jackson died. oh my, what a year.

if you dig deep enough you will see that they are dying all the time. The problem is trying to make connections. There are a lot of old famous people. they die all the time. People always try to fit people into this death trifecta, when the third one is usually a real stretch.

Just like equating Buk with the Beats, people have a need to classify things that do not really need classification.

Give me three authors, three former child stars, or three musicians that all die within a month and I'll believe in this tri-fecta.

Bill

Okay, Bill! - Alan Wilson (of Canned Heat) died Sept. 3, 1970, followed by Jimi Hendrix, Sept. 18, 1970, and Janis Joplin, Oct. 4, 1970. Oops, that's one month and one day! Darn, I thought I had you, Bill. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Bukfan,

That is a true tri-fecta, yes, but if you said that instead of Janis Joplin, that some two-bit actor from the silent film days died, I would not call it a tri-fecta. They were all young and went early. Many of these people lived lives that lend themselves to early death, like dangerous drug use.

The same with the "Kennedy curse." Some went into high risk public office. Others died through their dangerous misadventures. Things like crashing your private plane and skiing into a tree are things that effect the wealthy more, especially the ones that never have worked a day in their life.

R.I.P.

it was nice, to see him walking around in hamburg/germany in the movie 'The American Friend'.

i read he was married for just one week, which i would consider pretty narcissistic ;) or was it just pr?
famous artists seem to enjoy special privileges. if a drunk jim morrison damages a graveyard at night, people call it poetry. if i would do it, the same people would call me an antisocial asshole ;)

I just tried to put Blue Velvet in my Queue at Netflix. It is listed as "very Long Wait". I have not seen it in years, and I know that I'll love it still and my wife will HATE it.

Bill

Watching The Glory Stompers tonight on tv for the second time, a movie he stars in from 1968. It's about bikers and he's the leader of the bad biker gang! It says it's a one star movie but I give it six-love sixties trash and would much rather watch this than Easy rider or the dreadful Blue Velvet.

I suppose my deep, deep, deep loathing of The Shining as just an absolute travesty, train-wreck, disaster, skull-fucked piece of crap, skews my persective on Jack. Ru Paul or Sting would have been better in that role; god damn, that sucks so much ass it's like digesting one's own nuts in a feeble attempt to turn oneself inside-out.

but how do you really feel about it? :D

seriously, you didn't like that flick? that's how i felt watching that steaming
hunk of shit "as good as it gets" but what do i know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back