R.I.P Lemmy Kilmister (1 Viewer)

Skygazer

And in the end...
They were due to play at the Hydro in Glasgow in a few weeks, I had friends going.
A few weeks ago I'd gone to see Whitesnake, Def Leppard and Black Star Riders - an offshoot of Thin Lizzy with them. I went because I wanted to see Scott Gorham, pay my dues.
I said no to going to Motorhead, I just didn't want to see Lemmy, felt he wasn't well enough, too sad.
Really sad to hear this, but glad it was quick for him.
http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Guit...es-Motorhead/story-28436958-detail/story.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24806076

Last edited:
I know what you're saying, but they have the reputation of bridging punk and metal and I wouldn't disagree. Only saw them once in early eighties, my ears went weird for days. But worth it.:)
Lemmy lackedpomposity, he had intelligence, wit and most of all humour. On the video for Ace of Spades which he does with David Grohl and Slash, he changes the lyrics a bit and sings
"...I don't wanna live for ever... but apparently I am." instead of And don't forget the joker. Played it on here a few times,. made me laugh. He knew he was on borrowed time but it still astonished him with his lifestyle and medical problems that he was still here at all. Very lovely to read all of the condolences from other musicians and friends on the internet..

Lemmy was great in genre I don't care for. He had a bass tone that often got lost in the mix, much as Roger Glover expressed in 1972 based on his RIC 4001. Lemmy had a custom RIC with similar specs (and really intricate carvings; as well as a rare 4002 as shown in the viddy above), but it never cut through in his music to my ears. Not that I listened to much of it. But he was an icon, and we are losing them monthly these days (as is to be expected).
Best wishes in the beyond, Lemmy.

Lemmy had a custom RIC with similar specs (and really intricate carvings; as well as a rare 4002 ) but it never cut through in his music to my ears...]
Think we talked briefly about Rickenbackers and Lemmy in the guitar thread Purple, as much as I could contribute from a no knowledge point of view.
But you're right, it wasn't a cerebral, nuanced style, but lovely, raw, physical noise; loud, hard and fast. Unless you were a total fan, not the only albums you'd want to be stranded on a deserted isand with.
This is a nice article from Rolling Stone on his last few days, he wouldn't have wanted it any other way.:)
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...d-celebrated-70th-stared-down-cancer-20151229

A little something from the next podcast that's coming out Saturday:

Well, Lemmy is dead. You know Lemmy, from Motorhead. His name was Lemmy Kilmister, but everyone just called him Lemmy. Or Lemmy from Motorhead. I mentioned Lemmy in the "When are you too old to rock?" episode a couple months ago, talked about him being a "true believer." And he was. Everyone is mourning him now, and talking about how cool he was, how brash and outspoken. People love the brash and outspoken. They love them a lot more in the abstract, or after they're dead than they do in day to day life though. If you walked around acting like Lemmy, talking like he did, doing whatever the hell you wanted to do, people would step back whenever you came around. Make themselves scarce. The reality is when you are outspoken and opinionated, most people just think you're an asshole. Until you're dead, I guess. Then they'll profess their love for you. That's called "cold comfort" in some places.

But Lemmy is gone, another of the declining population of rock stars has left us. Their number continues to shrink because we aren't making any new ones. We haven't made rock stars since the 70s, so when the last rock star disappears, the species will be extinct. At least I can't think of any made after the 70s. Do we count Slash? Hmm, might have to make an exception for him. But other than that, they don't make 'em anymore. Not because younger people in bands don't "rock" and they aren't "stars." It has more to do with the culture. Rock stars require a bit of mystery and a level of debauchery and depravity that you just can't get away with anymore. Rock stars were mythical creatures because we couldn't know them, we could only get glimpses of them, observe them, on their bright stages, and read about them in magazines. That mystery is gone now, and without it, the rock star can't survive. But evolution marches on, nothing we can do about that. Thanks a lot, Darwin.

A little something from the next podcast that's coming out Saturday:
Well, Lemmy is dead.Lemmy is gone, another of the declining population of rock stars has left us. Do we count Slash? Hmm, might have to make an exception for him.
Yes we do, probably the last of the breed:)
One thing about Lemmy though, he always looked like a Geezer; the dodgy guy in charge of the dodgems or the waltzers when the fairground came. We can be thankful that he had the good taste to never wear spandex, just wouldn't have gone with the 'tache and stetson.
For auld aquaintances, never to be forgot:

Last edited:
Lemmy was unique in a world that all too often wears uniqueness as uniforms.

Not many people like him, even in his world. Very, very few.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back