• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Rare Bukowski Stuff (1 Viewer)

chronic

old and in the way
I am financially fucked, emotionally fucked, fucked deep down in the soul (if there is such a thing). The only fucking that I'm not getting right now is the good kind.

I offer here some Bukowski that I have to part with. It's all too heavy to carry with me anyway, so...

The prices aren't low, but they're reasonable and less than you'd pay on ABE. I'll cover shipping in the US. PM me if you're interested in any of these.

Feel free to make offers, but please don't try to take advantage. I really need the money.
  • I should mention that I'm only describing the condition of the book. The acetate jackets are generally in very good to fine condition, though many have mild rubbing/shelfwear. If the acetate jacket is in worse than average shape I will note this.

HEAT WAVE PROOF (1995)
An uncommon proof copy of Heat Wave (one of perhaps 10), comprised of loose collated signatures laid into a plain brown paper wrapper which has been stamped with PROOF and the Black Sparrow Press imprint. FINE condition. $200.00

IN THE SHADOW OF THE ROSE (1991)
#58 of 750 signed and numbered copies.
AS NEW condition in publishers plain blue/green dustjacket. $175.00

SOUTH OF NO NORTH (1973)
First Edition Trade Paperback with review slip laid-in.
VERY GOOD condition with yellowing at spine and around edges of wraps. $75.00

LIFE & DEATH IN THE CHARITY WARD (1974)
London Magazine Editions. Pictorial boards. Selections from Erections...
FINE in a NEAR FINE dustjacket (would be fine but for some sticker residue over the original price). $150.00

POST OFFICE (1974)
Hardcover. London Magazine Editions. First UK printing.
NEAR FINE in a NEAR FINE dustjacket. Very minor foxing to page edges, price clipped DJ. $200

POST OFFICE (1980)
Hardcover. Melbourne House. Second UK edition of this title.
VERY NEAR FINE in a VERY NEAR FINE unclipped dustjacket. $100.00

THE MOVIE: BARFLY (1987)
#399 of 400 signed and numbered copies. This one includes Buk's little man sketch at the colophon.
FINE condition. $250.00

WOMEN (1981)
W.H.Allen. First UK edition of this title.
NEAR FINE condition in a FINE unclipped dustjacket. The only problem with the book is that there is slight browning to the pages. ATTN: ENGLAND Stop using such cheap paper for your books. $125.00

FACTOTUM (1981)
W.H.Allen. First UK edition of this title.
NEAR FINE condition in a FINE unclipped dustjacket. Like the copy of Women above, fine except for paper toning. $125.00

BETTING ON THE MUSE (1996)
#78 of 200 Signed and numbered copies.
AS NEW condition. $200.00

THE ROOMINGHOUSE MADRIGALS: Early Selected Poems 1946-1966 (1988)
First Trade Edition (of 500 copies).
FINE condition. Acetate jacket is de-laminating at spine. $100.00

[STRIKE]THE DAYS RUN AWAY LIKE WILD HORSES OVER THE HILLS (1969)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]HAM ON RYE (1982)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]THE BUKOWSKI/PURDY LETTERS (1983)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]MOCKINGBIRD WISH ME LUCK (1972)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]AGAINST THE AMERICAN DREAM: ESSAYS ON BUKOWSKI (1994)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]PLAY THE PIANO DRUNK LIKE A PERCUSSION INSTRUMENT UNTIL THE FINGERS BEGIN TO BLEED A BIT (1979)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]THREE POEMS (1992)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]FACTOTUM (1975)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]THE DAY IT SNOWED IN L.A.: THE ADVENTURES OF CLARENCE HIRAM SWEETMEAT[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]BRING ME YOUR LOVE (1983)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]DANGLING IN THE TOURNEFORTIA (1981)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]THERE'S NO BUSINESS (1984)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]YOU GET SO ALONE AT TIMES THAT IT JUST MAKES SENSE (1986)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]RUN WITH THE HUNTED (1993)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]LOVE IS A DOG FROM HELL (1977)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]SOUTH OF NO NORTH (1973)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]REACH FOR THE SUN: Letters Volume 3 (1999)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]BRING ME YOUR LOVE (1983)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]THE CAPTAIN IS OUT TO LUNCH AND THE SAILORS HAVE TAKEN OVER THE SHIP (1998)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]BARFLY (1984)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]HOLLYWOOD (1989)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]SEPTUAGENARIAN STEW (1990)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]PULP (1994)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]LIVING ON LUCK:: Letters Volume 2 (1995)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]HOT WATER MUSIC (1983)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]SCREAMS FROM THE BALCONY: Letters Volume 1 (1993)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]HEAT WAVE (1995)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]L'UBRIACONE (1983)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]THE LAST NIGHT OF THE EARTH POEMS (1992)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]THREE POEMS (1992)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]YOU KISSED LILLY (1978)[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]WOMEN (1978) Advance Review Copy[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]HAM ON RYE (1982) Advance Review Copy[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]LOVE IS A DOG FROM HELL (1977) Advance Review Copy[/STRIKE] SOLD

BSP NEW YEARS GREETINGS
[STRIKE]1986 - Gold In Your Eye[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]1987 - LUCK[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]1988 - The Movie Critics[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]1989 - If you let them kill you, they will[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]1992 - now[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]1993 - those marvelous lunches[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]1994 - between the earthquake, the volcano and the leopard[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]1995 - Confession of a Coward[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]1996 - The Laughing Heart[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]1997 - A New War[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]1998 - To Lean Back Into It[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]1999 - The Singer[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]2000 - Popcorn in the Dark[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]2001 - Pink Silks[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]2002 - The Simple Truth[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]1979 - A Love Poem[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]Also: 1982, 1988, 1989, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]1970 - If We Take--[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]1991 - in the morning and at night and in between[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]1984 - One for the Old Boy[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]1982 - The Last Generation[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]1990 - we ain't got no money, honey, but we got rain[/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]1976 - A Love Poem / Tough Company [/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]1983 - Sparks [/STRIKE] SOLD
[STRIKE]1985 - Alone in a Time of Armies (two copies) [/STRIKE] SOLD

chronic said:
THREE POEMS (1992)

AKA Three by Bukowski. One of 56 unsigned hardcover copies.
Where did you get the limitation of 56 unsigned? Krumhansel says 84:

First edition, hardcover, trade issue: 103 copies were published 21 May 1992, of which 19 were signed by Bukowski on the title page...

Not doubting you, just wondering (because I have one, and 56 is better than 84).

There were 1,000 paperback copies and 103 Hardcover copies issued.
Of these, 26 were lettered and signed, 1 Author's Copy, 1 Editor's Copy
and 19 signed copies with no numbering or lettering. The remainder
were unsigned. The only physical difference between the signed and
unsigned copies is that all signed copies included a plain white dustjacket.

I don't have my copy of Krumhansl handy, but I think that the lettered copies were included in the total of 103 hardcovers. I'll have to double-check that.

<edit> You know, I think you're right. The lettered copies may have been separate from the other hardcovers. I stand corrected and will have to fix that on the cb site </edit>

*checks wallet*

I'll give you $10 for the lot... Some solid deals here, good luck, but I'll have to resist for the moment... Sadly.

Thanks to everyone who has messaged me and/or bought any of these books. Your kind thoughts and words have improved my outlook considerably.

I'll be listing some more stuff tomorrow.

I took out $100 at the atm tonight
bought an apple pie
and custard
to eat for supper
a slab of Redback beer
for the long weekend
(some Jesus related thing)

got back to my car
loaded it all up
and
drove home.

At home I cleaned out
my pockets
and
I only have $20
and
some coins

I dropped $50
somewhere

I'm pissed off
yeah
but I hope you find it
chronic.

chronic:
would you check your shelves for a not too fine copy of 'IT CATCHES'? I'd be in for that if it's available!

Mine!

hamonrye.jpg

No, I have a male model I use for my photography. He's usually drunk, but he's cheap and I can get a few good pictures out of him. Very reliable. And quite a good looking man, I must say.

Just a bump to remind people that there are still some good books available from the list and to add:

NIGHT WORK 1981 Broadside signed by Bukowski. Fine condition. $100

ANOTHER ACADEMY 1970 Broadside bound in card covers. #206 of 250 signed and numbered copies. Fine condition. $125

and, though I hate to part with these, I'll consider offers for a full-run of Wormwood Review. All are in excellent condition. The first issue is one of 12 that were made from the original letterpress signatures in a facsimile cover and issue 2 is a photocopy issue numbered 40/30 (?), signed and numbered by Marvin Malone. I would hope to get between two and three thousand dollars for the set. If interested or if you have questions, contact me.

And last, a couple of "not-Bukowski" titles for sale:

Hunter Thompson - Hell's Angels Signed first edition/first printing. Near fine condition in a near fine, price-clipped DJ. Make Offer
[STRIKE]
Hunter Thompson - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Signed first edition. Near fine condition, with usual fading to edges of boards, in a near fine DJ. Make Offer[/STRIKE]

You'll need to contact me by PM if you're interested. My usual computer is in the shop and the machine I'm using now is not set up to fetch collectingbuk, artifact or bukowski.net email.

Sold: [STRIKE] CHILLED GREEN 1970 Broadside w/hand marbled edge. Signed by Bukowski. $125[/STRIKE]
Sold: [STRIKE] BLOW 6 1984 First printing in orange wraps. Signed by Buk on the cover. Near Fine condition with a small bump to the upper right hand corner. $125[/STRIKE]
Sold: [STRIKE] SPARROW Nos 54 & 72 Both first printings with #72 signed by Buk on the cover. Near fine. $100[/STRIKE]

Holy crow. A signed first of Hell's Angels in NF? If I had a spare many thousands of dollars I'd be jumping at that. Lemme know if you want to arrange a $50/month for the next decade or so.

Yeah, how 'bout it. I'm drooling over both of those and they are so far out of my price range, I might as well give up all hope of owning them.

Very nice chronic. Here's hoping you sell them (but here's hoping you don't eh?).

SPARROW -- I used to buy these new for about 75 cents each, but they weren't signed. A bookshop I went to in (I think) Santa Monica had a rack stuffed with hundreds of them, many different issues, and I'd pull out the Bukowskis and a few other authors. Those were the days.

BLOW 6, SPARROW Nos 54 & 72 and the '85 New Years Greetings are sold.
I need to move this stuff. Make offers. I'll probably accept any offers that aren't absurdly low.

Well, I just sold all but five of my non-Bukowski books for pennies-on-the-dollar. Got maybe 20% (at best) of what they were actually worth. If anyone wants any of the remaining Bukowski books in the next few days, knock off 20% from the prices I listed and they're yours.

One thing, I'll only ship to the US at this point. I just don't have time to deal with customs paperwork right now.

I should mention that Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is gone. I held on to Hell's Angels though, so that one is still available.

chronic;
I wish you the best and can only imagine the pain you must be going through. I have nothing much in the way of a collection but I know enough to see you are parting with books that mean a lot. It will be better some day, hopefully soon, when you can look back on all of this relieved that you made it through. Yes, even one day you might see that you are better because of it.
Oregon is a nice place with cool people and clean air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back