Richard Dawkins (1 Viewer)

"There is something infantile in the presumption that somebody else (parents in the case of children, God in the case of adults) has a responsibility to give your life meaning and point."

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."

"Without religion you have good people doing good things, and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion."

"We should be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brain falls out."

What do you think of Richard Dawkins?

G.

based on those quotes, he's ok in my book.
might have to pick up 'the god delusion.'

I like Dawkins and The God Delusion is a good book, though I think it's mostly preaching to the choir. I doubt that it would change anybodys deeply held convictions, though it could easily push an agnostic over to atheism.

He also did a two-part BBC documentary called The Root of All Evil that was quite good, though he comes off as a bit of a whiner at times.

People keep telling me to read it.
I've read some of his other books.
Preaching to the choir is right.
I'm the one front and centre with the haunting baritone. :cool:

I alwasy suspect a person when they use a word like religion without giving it meaning or context. He make bold swooping statements without defining Good Evil or religion. Seems he is trying to give meaning and point while arguing against it

I like Dawkins and The God Delusion is a good book, though I think it's mostly preaching to the choir. I doubt that it would change anybodys deeply held convictions, though it could easily push an agnostic over to atheism.

I agree, good book. It makes you think about it all.
This is sort of related in that it brings up the question of religion and belonging to more then one. This always makes me laugh.

Thermodynamics of Hell
:)

I'm an atheist, but... I can't stand the majority of the mainstream atheist authors. They all seem a little bit... self-righteous in interviews. They're incredibly confident in their point of view and often come across as being very angry (Christopher Hitchens was most noticible for me). In fact, Hitchens came across more like an asshole than anything else when I saw a few interviews after god Is Not Great came out.

Most other atheists I've met are fine, though. It just seems that guys like Dawkins and Hitchens have to be dicks to promote their points of view and it just feels unnecessary to me. They appear to forget that people generally can believe in one god, many gods, or no god at all.

Are religious people in the media any different? Not particularly. But I don't think following in their footsteps is all that helpful to those of us non-famous atheists.

Post Script here: I'm actually kinda surprised how well The God Delusion and god Is Not Great have done at the book store I work at. That makes me wonder about all those polls that have a majority of Americans believing in some kind of religion.

I'm an atheist, but... I can't stand the majority of the mainstream atheist authors. They all seem a little bit... self-righteous in interviews.

I see where you're coming from. The thing is, these things need to be said. It's important to look at things logically and not let those who believe in angels/spiritual healing/organised religion be treated as if their arguments hold weight. This is particularly true in the US where a lot of Christian nut-jobs are trying to introduce ID/Creationism into science classes. Or in Europe where radical Muslims stabbed a man to death who directed a movie that was critical of Islam, and pinned a note to his chest saying the star of the movie was next. This creates deadly fear. In order to lead any movement for change you have to have a few big-headed leaders, just as any good rock band needs a half-egotistical lead singer. They may be self-righteous, but if they weren't we wouldn't be talking about these ideas.

In fact, Hitchens came across more like an asshole than anything else when I saw a few interviews after god Is Not Great came out.

I agree somewhat, when I watched the first couple of interviews he came across as a bully. But since then I've watched a couple of debates and he performs brilliantly, kind of like the school yard bully but with words. He usually leaves his debating opponents for dead.

I don't agree that Dawkins comes across like this, however. He occasionally gets annoyed and can look a little hot-under-the-collar, but generally his style is factual and more subtle than Hitchens.

G.

Ok two more cents
Symbols and metaphors be they mathematical religious or poetic help us get through the day. I have no problem with anyone who uses and believes in them-Nietczhe's priest comes to mind. I suspect we all dislike anyone with a holier smarter smuggier than thou attitude (this sentence the exception of course) which is why Hitchens and those of his stable have value-as does the Dalai Lama Tolle the Pope and Oprah. Again not for everyone but if they help someone feel better then they're contributing to the positive. I like positive. Smarmy yes but I've always liked the song whats so funny bout peace love and understanding too and it's Friday.

I'm an athiest, but really, in my opinion, whatever gets you through the night; it's alright.
(apologies to John Lennon).

Post Script here: I'm actually kinda surprised how well The God Delusion and god Is Not Great have done at the book store I work at. That makes me wonder about all those polls that have a majority of Americans believing in some kind of religion.

I think that a lot of people are afraid or embarassed to call themselves Atheist. I know that it horrifies my wife when I say it, but she knows what I believe and don't believe in, but it is the word that horrifies her.

Polls like this are flawed. They must be. Just like polls on race. People are asked questions, but feel guilty to admit to their rasist fears, etc. So they say what is easy for them to avoid the trauma of admitting to a stranger that they don't like black people or don't believe in a god that they think 95% of their peers believe in.

There is only one admitted Athiest in Congress. I say that at least 30% of them are Athiests, but it is not something that they feel comfoprtable admitting. Me, I'd rather that my leaders did not believe in mythology and magic.

Bill

well,

last time I was in class, one of my teacher stated, "let us not mistake relegion with church" relegion is a wonderful thing, a church run by man is falible"

it is ok I guess...

I see where you're coming from. The thing is, these things need to be said. It's important to look at things logically and not let those who believe in angels/spiritual healing/organised religion be treated as if their arguments hold weight. This is particularly true in the US where a lot of Christian nut-jobs are trying to introduce ID/Creationism into science classes. Or in Europe where radical Muslims stabbed a man to death who directed a movie that was critical of Islam, and pinned a note to his chest saying the star of the movie was next. This creates deadly fear. In order to lead any movement for change you have to have a few big-headed leaders, just as any good rock band needs a half-egotistical lead singer. They may be self-righteous, but if they weren't we wouldn't be talking about these ideas.

I agree somewhat, when I watched the first couple of interviews he came across as a bully. But since then I've watched a couple of debates and he performs brilliantly, kind of like the school yard bully but with words. He usually leaves his debating opponents for dead.

I don't agree that Dawkins comes across like this, however. He occasionally gets annoyed and can look a little hot-under-the-collar, but generally his style is factual and more subtle than Hitchens.

G.

Maybe it wasn't Dawkins I saw then... Some interview I saw on YouTube around the time The God Delusion hit in HC though...

I don't have a problem with these high profile atheists putting out what they think the truth is, but (and this goes for the extremely religious as well), a lot of them seem to think they can dictate what everyone should believe in.

Just based on interviews, some seem to believe that they are right, anyone who disagrees is an idiot, and that everyone should believe what they believe in. Which is worrying for me, as an atheist.

Are there religious extremists out there? Certainly. But for every high profile news story I see on TV or read in the paper, I have at least one personal experience with a religious person or group who has housed an unwed teenage mother, or some similar act.

Of course, I could say the same about atheists that have done good things too. For all the interviews I've seen with high profile ones, I've had friends or family members who are good people.

I guess it all balances out someplace.

I missed this thread somehow. Check me on the list of another unapologetic atheist. Although I only refer to myself as an atheist if someone asks. I will offer up my usual thing which I prefer; existentialist. We exist. The one fact that cannot be missed. We create our own meaning in life.
I feel sorry for the folks who don't understand that and spend their entire lives thinking their meaning comes from the sky somewhere.

And I really enjoyed reading The God Delusion.

Although I only refer to myself as an atheist if someone asks.

Likewise.

Dawkins is a proselytising atheist, so he opens himself up to the same derision levelled at bible bashers.

I just happen to agree with most of what he says.

the season premiere of Family Guy prominently featured a richard dawkins book in a bookstore scene. i believe it was The God Delusion. i'd never heard of him until this thread, and now i see it pop up on primetime tv...

That was a HILARIOUS episode of Family Guy last night. It was real cool to see Dawkin's book there on the shelf. And Brian. Sheeeit, talk about dodging a bullet.

dogbuttjesus.gif

Jesus image found in dog's butt

Angus MacDougall is a three-year-old terrier mix that has recently been blessed with the revered and holy image of Jesus Christ on his hindquarters. Is this manifestation of The Prince of Peace a coincidence or a bona fide miracle? One thing is for certain, this apparition of the Son of God is sure to inspire controversy. Not much if any true scientific or theological inquiry has been made into the nature of this sign to date, but "seeing is believing" as little Angus' terrier-tush is obviously marked by the likeness of Christ.

Isn't the JESUS butt here somewhere else?

Anyway, I loved Richard Dawkins on Match Game and Family Feud.

I alwasy suspect a person when they use a word like religion without giving it meaning or context. He make bold swooping statements without defining Good Evil or religion.
Agreed. I like Dylan's approach better. In the recent Rolling Stone interviews he critisizes ORGANIZED religion.
Smart guy.
(Most of the time...)

I just saw 2 episodes on TV where Dawkins travels the world discussing religion with various people - mostly believers. They were quite interesting. I've got his book, 'The God Delusion' too, but I don't think he's making any new arguments. Still, it's worth reading, especially now where Christian and Muslim fundamentalists are on the rise...

Last edited by a moderator:
...without defining Good Evil or religion.
Some people define religion as destructive and oppressive, if not evil. Though evil isn't usually much of a stretch. And some of these people - the heathen bastards - even believe that religion perpetuates ignorance, poverty and subservience, if you can imagine that.

I don't know where they get such radical ideas. Probably from science.

Some people define religion as destructive and oppressive, if not evil. Though evil isn't usually much of a stretch. And some of these people - the heathen bastards - even believe that religion perpetuates ignorance, poverty and subservience, if you can imagine that.

I don't know where they get such radical ideas. Probably from science.

I picked up a religious tract from the 1840s the other day for a project that I'm working on. They have a tract called "Happy Negro", which is basically reinforcing their belief that the (enlightened of the) enslaved black people "understood" that it was their godly duty to be content with their enslavement as jebus would pay them all back in heaven. Frederick Douglas wrote a great piece on how religion was used as a tool in the south as a means to subdue the slaves. Frederick Douglass was almost certainly an atheist as he saw the centuries of oppression that christianity, as it was practiced in the american south, was used as a tool.

One of the most salient points that Malcom X made in his autobiography concerned Christianity... (paraphrasing here) "Why would slaves and descendants of slaves ever embrace the religion of their oppressors ?" Why there are any black Christian churches in existence is beyond me too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back