Roni's "double signature" DIY publications (1 Viewer)

[...] it never dawned on me that you could have more than one signature in a book [...]

a double spine -

besides, me stupid foreigner never guessed, that a 'signature' could be anything other than an autograph and now knowing better:

This is about the same way, that I did it back in the 90s, when I was pretending to be a writer.

I wanted my 'books' to have a real backspine, so you could read which book it is, when it's on the shelf. On an unprofessional, yet dirty level, my solution was similar to yours:

SP_A0427-8a.jpg

Great looking books, Roni! What's inside - Poetry or stories?

Last edited by a moderator:
just in short, not to hijack this thread:

mjp, strangegirl, Bukfan: thanks! You make me feel proud.
Bukfan: stories AND poems (ca 1:4)

roni, where can I buy one of those?

"Heute schän - morgen Reich" ("Today Pretty - Tomorrow Rich") was supposed to be the title of my autobiography, you bastard!

oh, Damn! seems I AM hijacking now - sorry!

there are 2 pages online from a while ago, when I tried to translate to a girl I knew through myspace, who didn't speak german. She asked for my 'art' so, this is some of this old stuff, that I put online:
1 + 2

Thanks Roni, those are cool. The words the paintings and drawings ... awesome.
I won't tell anyone you Hijacked the thread.... Oh wait...

Will any of these be in "A Common Thread", I am anxiously waiting it's release. I hear it is very very soon.:D

Thanks mjp.

so first, I'd give a quote from my pm to Johannes as an answer to his reaction:

"Heute schän - morgen Reich" ("Today Pretty - Tomorrow Rich") was supposed to be the title of my autobiography, you bastard!

You weren't able to read the full title in that pic, which is: 'Heute schän - morgen reich und berühmt' ('Handsome today - Tomorrow rich and famous' - hmmm, that plan didn't work out well :-))

here's the pic I sent along.

strangegirl:
thanks for your kind words.

yes, one of these will be in the upcoming Common Thread by CP/J&J.

Cool poems, Roni! The poem called "I wanna be" is very funny, especially this here sentence, "I want to squeeze out your pimples with my teeth". It makes me think of Buk's acne. :D

I liked most of you artwork too, both the paintings and the drawings...

[...] "I want to squeeze out your pimples with my teeth". It makes me think of Buk's acne.

in fact, the girl didn't really have pimples. But I WAS referring to Buk, as he states in a poem something like "if we can't love our ugly parts, that ain't complete love."

btw: it seems, J&J made a good choice. This one is in.

and thanks for the nice words.

Great covers. I like those double spines. They look like eccentric inventions, where function supplants taste and creates it's own new esthetic. Or something like that. It's early and I'm still half asleep.

... where function supplants taste ...

In a way, you are right:
The function of having a backspine that tells what it is, when it's on the shelf, was the main-reason for this procedure.

But I must say: it's even possible to do these in a 'tasty' way. It is possible. I had made some of these, which actually looked good. Only, I'm way too sloppy a guy to put too much effort in making this. So, yeah, it didn't matter too much, how good the staples fit, as long as the thing was working.
(well, since I suppose, no one of my friends has read or had them in their hands as much as I had, I guess some of them still look alright. Or at least better than on these pics.)

I know, it's me - but please be HONEST with your replies !!!

oouh dammit! I just had a drunken idea:

I may produce a new chap-book, bilingual, containing of old poems and stories (a little work on the original texts will be done, sure).

Of course, the translation would have to be made in co-operation with a native-speaker (who also is a poet).

The making and layout would be similar to the ones, I used back in the 90s, when I didn't have a computer to do it.
the sloppy double-spine would be there. (The actual print itself would be done on a printer instead of lousy xerox-copies though).
Still, I'd use the cheap collage-style of the old times. (btw: the bottom-right example of this link gives My idea of transfering 'hidden tracks' from CDs into literature.)

a possible title (first part inspired by mjp):

D-I-Y
A CASE OF NOSTALGIA

... now HERE's the point, where YOU come in (and what I meant with my headline):
you think this a good idea? or Not?

Good idea! Put me down for a copy of the "Best of Roni" chapbook!

- I like the use of pictures in your books and it was interesting to see the photo's of "the writer as a young man"...:)

Well, I think it's been proven that you can certainly sell some books around here (as long as your expectations are modest). I would buy it, even though I think you Germans are a very weird bunch.

[...] you can certainly sell some books around here [...]

it's not about selling books. The question is, would people like the idea of a book by me. (I wasn't sure since I ain't as much a 'professional' writer like so many others here.)
I'd only charge shipping cost of course.

And sure you're right: we ARE a weird bunch.

Yes. I like what I've read from your pen plus a bilingual print is a very good idea.
DIY is punk spirit and I appreciate you want to keep that ethic alive, Roni.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back