ROTC Award - 1939 (1 Viewer)

Attachments

• 1939.jpg
    1939.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 384
Wow. What's next? His paper on Hoover's Presidential visit?

Maybe a copy of Write?

:D

Do you own the hard bound copies or did you just copy some of the interesting bits? That is a great thing to have if you own them.

Well from "Ham on Rye"

One day Mrs. Fretag gave us an assignment.
"Our distinguished President, President Herbert Hoover, is going to
visit Los Angeles this Saturday to speak. I want all of you to go hear our
President. And I want you to write an essay about the experience and about
what you think of President Hoover's speech."

Yeah, I randomly came across a hardbound collection of the newspapers. I just recently looked through it and found several mentions.

Thought you guys would get a kick out of it...

Great find! What are the other mentions? Nothing is too insignificant to be of interest to the truely obessed. "Henry Bukowski pays library fine" or maybe "Bullies shake down Henry Bukowski for lunch money"? Please post them. Thanks.

I would have thought penance would be reciting Olson's Maximus Poems...
Maybe some Creeley?

Hmmm

Do you own the hard bound copies or did you just copy some of the interesting bits? That is a great thing to have if you own them.

I have a single volume that includes the dailies from fall '38 to winter '39. Bought it on a whim and was pleased to find Buk in there...

Attachments

• 1939B.jpg
    1939B.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 266
Well that's Baldy isn't it? Well it rings a bell...

What the hell ?

I thought Buk was such a conscientious objector/prankster that he flunked out of his physical on purpose. Did he really participate in ROTC ?

I'm having a hard time believing this. :confused:

At Chelsey you had a choice between gym and R.O.T.C. I took R.O.T.C. because then I
didn't have to wear a gym suit and nobody could see the boils on my body. But I hated the
uniform. The shirt was made of wool and it irritated my boils. The uniform was worn from
Monday to Thursday. On Friday we were allowed to wear regular clothes.
- Ham on Rye

I believe William "Baldy" Mullinax lives in Hawaii now?

This would be easy to find out.

Isn't that the "Jewish" accountant, Mortenson, who used to "spit in his hands all the time"?

Ah, well then maybe I've been missing the sly reference in the forum username MULLINAX.

Heh, heh, heh.

I would have thought penance would be reciting Olson's Maximus Poems...
Maybe some Creeley?

Hmmm

Are these the BLACK MOUNTAIN SCHOOL poets that Buk disses?

Olson was black mountain, yeah.
I don't know about Creeley, but I found his stuff just plain unreadable.

Reading Buk has made me very uncritical. I despise the people he puts down and admire those he respects, with some exceptions.

I don't know any of the people in the Bukverse so maybe it's time for some sort of GLOSSARY. Something like, " So-and-so, minor poet and university lecturer, befriended Buk in 1963. Later falling out due to literary jealousy, drunkenness and a trollop by the name of Daisy".

William "Baldy" Mullinax was a high school friend of Bukowski and was written about in Ham on Rye and probably some poems. We are just curious if you are him as your name on the forum is "Mullinax" and you have called something "baldy-esque". Just curious, really.

Best,

Bill

I could be wrong, but I think Eli "Baldy" LaCrosse died about 20 years ago.

Do you really think that I'm an old pal of Buk's?

My "Baldy" information comes mostly from Pleasants' absurd memoir.

If the real Mullinax is still alive and posting here, that would be like having St. Peter rapping about J.C.!

"Baldy" - Show thyself!

I just remembered that Linda complained about Baldy showing up in San Pedro. Something about him being a pest and hard to get rid of. Sort of like my posts here.

That's why we need a GLOSSARY of the Bukverse.

Lemme see now: "JORY SHERMAN, friend and fellow poet, later known for his formulaic cowboy stories. Wrote bittersweet screed about friendship and falling out with Buk, FRIENDSHIP, FAME and BESTIAL MYTH. Not invited to wedding or funeral."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back