Searching critical book on Buk's writing (2 Viewers)

pichon64

Not read nor write
Sounes mentioned some Gay Brewer. I don't know if it's available for buying it online. On a light search no luck with Amazon.

Any suggestion on other critical book? Or where to find this one (if it's worth)?

Thanks in advance.

2673222289_15ccc176f1_o.jpg

15 used & new available from $3.71 <-- click

And: Jules Smith - ART, SURVIVAL AND SO FORTH
THE POETRY OF CHARLES BUKOWSKI

Synopsis
Based on extensive research, this authoritative study places Bukowski's poetry in its American cultural context, and explores the key poems and collections in his development. It traces magazines, literary contacts and influences from the mid-1940s to "The Last Night of the Earth Poems" (1992). Want to know about Bukowski and old Hollywood movies, the Beats, Hemingway and Walt Whitman? About how and why Bukowski formed his unique reading style and public image? And about where he fits into West Coast and post war American verse? Although the book takes into account the best of the American and European commentary that currently exists, it also offers an original and intriguingly British point of view, giving special attention to Bukowski's readings during the 1970s and his influence upon the current generation of West Coast Poets.

There is a fat annual called Contemporary Literary Criticism that had quite an extensive section on Bukowski in 1994 (Volume 82). A big library should have that in their reference section.

(pichon you spelled "koff" wrong.)[snip-a-lot] This forum -requires a ton of reading - is very informative.

I changed my (koff koff) cigarrette's (koff) brand. That was the issue, thanks.

Of course this forum is very informative. I'm in it for that reason. But, you know, books have their charm too. :) And I'm looking for a critical book on B's work. Not a biography.

...And I'm looking for a critical book on B's work. Not a biography.

The Harrison book Hank Solo mentioned is just that. I have it, and I've read a portion of it, but like several others here, I just couldn't get through it. I mean, I don't know if his analysis is right or wrong, but it certainly is boring. To me, anyway. I wouldn't take that statement as a "don't get it or read it;" it's just to me, I'd rather read Buk than read what someone else thinks Buk meant, or some sociological paradigm that emerges from his sub-conciousness...blah, blah...

The Harrison book Hank Solo mentioned is just that. I have it, and I've read a portion of it, but like several others here, I just couldn't get through it.

I have to agree with PS on this book. while I think that Harrisons analsis's are quite interesting, I find that a little of it goes a long ways. I read it a little at a time. yes, too much at once gets mighty boring, unless your into that sort of thing I suppose..... Hell, I never was no good at studying.:cool:

Hey roni: If you wouldn't mind, could you send along pdfs of Buk's prefaces to Hitler Painted Roses and Invitation to a Dying from the 2004 yearbook?

Now look what you've done; you'll be shipping pdfs all over the world for the next week! ;)

Both Brewer's and Baughan's are far more entertaining -and complete- than Harrison's. Harrison uses 4 poems and 4 stories to prove his points while Brewer and Baughan offer a more complete critical overview of B's work. Smith's is a good read, too. And if you want something more irreverent, try Joyce's. No kidding.

No one has mentioned Hugh Fox's Charles Bukowski: A Critical and Biographical Study. That's another one you'll have to find in a library though, as copies are kind of scarce.

lol.
it probably won't be anywhere. i'm just kidding. =D
i don't even know if i can do my masters on anyone or what they let you do it on. god knows. i still haven't done my undergrad yet.

[...] i don't even know if i can do my masters on anyone or what they let you do it on. [...]

if you find a teacher who appreciates your work, he'll buy ANY topic you'd suggest.

Buk has been done before, so at least no teacher will have the excuse to call him unworthy of academic research. and Huntington was another landmark.

if you want to do Buk - Do Buk!

Hi, nice community you got here.

I want to drown myself in critical material on Bukowski, I've looked into all the previously mentioned stuff and ordered a lot of it (being in the UK some one it's costing me a bomb), but does anyone know of any more phd's/these/essays/etc etc on Buk that have been created more recently? I'm struggling to find too much on the guy.

It's more of a case of having to more than wanting to. I'm thinking of putting together an MA proposal on him, who better to write on than my favourite writer, but I'm going to have to read everything written on him.

You can get a MA on Bukowski from all of the instruction and information you can get from here if you can get a professor to grant you credit for that information.

...and if we had some soup we could have some soup and sandwiches if we had some sandwiches...

It's more of a case of having to more than wanting to. I'm thinking of putting together an MA proposal on him, who better to write on than my favourite writer, but I'm going to have to read everything written on him.

Good luck!
Plenty of info here, usually very well researched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back